First planted tank showcase/journal (29 gallon)

One of the fish decided to scare me today by hiding for a good several minutes. Even during dinner, until after I checked the whole tank (I thought) 3 times, didn't see anything on the filter, had just about lost hope. Then saw one of the 8 present go into hornwort corner, and lazily following it back out, practically yawning, was number 9. Dang fish.

• Haha 1

I noticed my "tree" stick had collected a bunch of ugly beardish algae, so I pulled it out to clean. I ended up putting a different stick in a different spot to replace it. I think it helps define more of a two island look and hide the filter more. I also need to scrape some algae along the front bottom; the hardest place to reach since micro sword thinks it's a great place to grow. Some crypts being temperamental but I think they will make a comeback.

20220602_194942.jpg

• Like 1

Unfortunately reclusive minnow passed away. He was skinny and a little snub nosed, so I suspect he had some genetic issue. I tested my water. No ammonia or nitrite, barely any nitrate. No change there. The other 8 fish are eating and swimming together, gaining size and color. They all look "normal". I'm guessing I may have 3 or 4 males out of the 8. I'll try to get better pics of everyone soon.

The two white cloud minnows that died were they eating ok and did they have a sunken belly when they died if they did you could have wasting disease it will gradually kill one fish every so often out of a group 

On 6/6/2022 at 8:26 PM, Colu said:

The two white cloud minnows that died were they eating ok and did they have a sunken belly when they died if they did you could have wasting disease it will gradually kill one fish every so often out of a group 

They looked pretty normal, just skinny. I wouldn't say sunken bellies. They weren't eating as boldly as the others. Didn't seem as interested in food.

I would monitor them closely if any start to go off their food or start to lose I would do a course of levamisole in food for 7 days just in case it is wasting disease if you add levamisole to food it's shrimp Safe 

Screenshot_20210814-142639~2.png

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1

Cleaning and minor redecorating. White clouds seem to be doing well. They continue to fill out physically and explore the tank. They are definitely not scared of me, they associated me with food pretty quickly I think. I am still terrible at getting pics of them though. 😅 Shrimp are much more cooperative

20220609_193607.jpg

20220609_191225.jpg

20220609_193926.jpg

20220609_194033.jpg

20220609_194151.jpg

20220609_194708.jpg

20220609_194954.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Filled in some empty space with tree sticks and moved anubius in the back. If my crypts keep coming back strong I'll be pretty happy with this look. For a while at least 😅

White cloud minnows look to be doing well. The elite 8 all seem solid. They are plump colorful and active. I've gotten slightly better pics but it's still a struggle.

20220615_192549.jpg

20220615_194337.jpg

20220615_194358.jpg

• Like 2

What a beautiful tank... makes me want to get my white cloud tank back in order. I've been debating about trying some cherry shrimp with them and I think this just about clinches it for me.

I gave up trying to photograph mine (camera won't focus, even on manual) so now I just take a video and grab the best frame. They sit still just long enough to compose a photo, but when you go to hit the button, they dart in a random direction! Zoom!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/17/2022 at 12:14 AM, drewzero1 said:

..They sit still just long enough to compose a photo, but when you go to hit the button, they dart in a random direction! Zoom!

omg this is so true. That's why I gave up and just uploaded a couple short videos so I can get it across. As for my profile picture, yeah I used that tactic! haha

• Like 1

Got some fluval bug bite flakes to supplement my fluval color enhancing flakes. The fish seem to love both, and the shrimp will munch on the flakes as well given a chance. Hope a varied diet may eventually help encourage breeding. Mostly just want them healthy and happy.