First planted tank showcase/journal (29 gallon)

Tank is looking pretty good. Though I do have an abundance of daphnea. I'm considering moving the majority of my shrimp to my 25 gallon half cylinder, and putting a gang of panda corydoras in this one. Since they will have a live food source and will prefer the horizontal space. And the shrimp seem to be thriving and using all of the other tank.

20211101_103030~2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I love your shrimps! The snails make a fine addition. They're beautiful! I have some scarlet temple that is behaving about the same as yours. Mine likes to generate blackbeard algae for me; which is soooooo awesome. Not really, it's quite frustrating actually. I love your layout though, it's beautiful and there's something seriously satisfying about shrimps perching on leaves like little lookout posts. Magical.

• Thanks 1

On 11/3/2021 at 10:33 AM, Minanora said:

I love your shrimps! The snails make a fine addition. They're beautiful! I have some scarlet temple that is behaving about the same as yours. Mine likes to generate blackbeard algae for me; which is soooooo awesome. Not really, it's quite frustrating actually. I love your layout though, it's beautiful and there's something seriously satisfying about shrimps perching on leaves like little lookout posts. Magical.

Thank you. A lot of my shrimp have moved house to my other tank, but there are still quite a few in here so we'll see how they get on. I'm hoping to add some panda corys and make a calm little community tank

Edited by Solstice_Lacer
  • Like 1

Both snails seem to be settling in. I was a little worried about Goldie not being very active, but I have found her in a new place every few hours/every morning, so I think she is just shy around me/more nocturnal. Blue is more outgoing and is making his way around right in front of me. (I have no idea what sex these snails actually are, just personifying them cause that's what we do 😅).

Sleeping I guess?

1872897691_20211106_1329022.jpg.d92aa8ca4dbc2549d83d2ed45784def6.jpg

Not sleeping

20211106_132059.jpg.0d747183ea752faf2b15ab86d7c4a5d3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2021 at 9:04 PM, RadMax8 said:

I really like your scape! The rocks and the plants together work really well.

Other than cories, what else do you plan to put in here?

Thanks. I'm not totally sure. Maybe nothing. Long term possibly cherry barbs or micro danios of some kind. Maybe white clouds, or sawbwa barbs aka rummynose rasbora. I have no immediate stocking plans. I'll re evaluate after the holidays.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Been a while since I updated. Bad news and good news. Bad news, both my mystery snails died. 😓 .I did get them from petco, and I suppose I have no way of knowing how old they were. I'd like to think they had a nice retirement? However other bad news; I also found planaria in my tank. Idk if they contributed to the snail deaths. I haven't seen many if any baby shrimp in that tank. (Also my beautiful crypt melted, but I'm hopeful it will return. I added root tabs).

Good news: Since the snails passed, I decided to medicate the tank with "no planaria" med. I think it has worked, though I'm keeping an eye out. One suggestion I have when using it is to dissolve the dose of powder in a cup of (chlorine free) water you are planning to add to the tank, and then pour it in. Otherwise it clumps a little and you have to mix it up, but it dissolves quickly. Also the directions on the packet are for 50 liters, which is about 13 gallons. So do appropriate math. My shrimp didn't seem to to be affected at all. I've heard the meds stay in the water for a while. So no more snails for a while. If I do in the future I'll get them from a better place hopefully.

That being said I finally decided it was time to get some fish. After much deliberation, I got 10 white cloud mountain minnows. They're very pretty. I remember seeing them in a book my dad got me as a kid and wanting them. Lucky for me they turned out to be a recommended easy fish. I think they will fit in well. Lots of plants and a subtropical temp. They don't seem interested in the shrimp and the shrimp don't seem to care. Hopefully that continues. 

No great pics yet but hopefully I'll get some. They are not shy but not too hyper either.

20220520_180126~2.jpg

20220520_180158~2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

My camera decided to focus on the one fish in back instead of the 8 in front. Fish are harder to photo than shrimp 😅

Anyway the white cloud seem to be doing well, hanging out together and occasionally breaking off to explore.

Coloring up. Saw some starting to get red lipstick so I take that as a good sign? From what I understand that is a male thing.  They all seem to be acting normally.

20220521_182735~2.jpg

• Love 1