Apistograma cacatuoides double red in a 10 gallon

Stephen Zawacki

Hi yall so I'm in college I have a waterbox cube ten gallon that is going to be my apartment tank. I've read online and it says they would be great as a pair. But I want to make sure that can a pair live in a 10 gallon happily, healthy, and grow to max size. If they can they would be a species only tank. 

It will be heavily planted and I have a kessil a160 sun light 

On 8/4/2021 at 10:00 AM, Pete said:

I'm following these steps with my Apistos. Looks like my female may be guarding eggs at this moment! @tolstoy21

Good luck!

I find once the fry spawn, the female can get very nasty with the male so it's good to have a place to relocate him to if needed.

If I think the female is guarding eggs, I'll also start feeding something like vinegar eels or BBS in small amounts in case they emerge from the cave and I miss the event.

My main challenge recently has been trying to spawn a trio only to find out that the two females i had in the tank were both sneaker males. What luck!

Man, watching a sneaker male transform into a fully colored male is fascinating. It's not just their coloration that changes. I'm finding that their fins also start to elongate and change shape. I think I need to get better at ID'ing sneaker males earlier in the process.

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

A pair in a 10 gallon should work fine, but it depends on the pair and if they breed. Nonetheless, make sure that there are at least two caves, and plenty of plants to break the line of sight. 

If you want to avoid aggression, maybe get two females?

If you have the room for a 20 long or 29 (basically a 20 long that is taller); I think you would be better off with the larger tank.

-

2 or 3 females in a 29 would be fine but in a 10 i would limit yourself to a single female and have a 5 gallon or something on the side in case you need to temporary remove the male.

Edited by anewbie

The only problem I see is the aquarium you have is about 14” on a side, but the filter chamber takes up about 3” in the rear. That’s about 20% of the effective swimming space. I have a cube about the same size and I keep mulling over the dwarf Cichlid question. I’m leaning towards getting a tank with similar volume but more horizontal swim space.