So where i live i have Incredibly hard water since we get it from the lake in my city. the fish do Great in it and i'm very lucky to live in the same sewer district as my fave lfs so our water is Identical. plants are doing well too, but i'd love to give them a boost. However i really don't know how to approach fertilizing with hard water... i feel like it would mess with the water chemistry and depending on whats already in the water, it may even end up overdosing something. of course i may be over thinking this cause i haven't really seen anything either way, i just am nervous since most people talk about 

Iron solubility will certainly be an issue in hard water but your nitrogen, phosphates, and potassium shouldn't have much of an issue. From what I understand people use RO water to mix their iron into their tanks.

I tried to find a graph of different solutes and solubility within dgH but could only find temperature and pH comparisons.

Edited by Biotope Biologist
  • Like 1

thank you all for the suggestions! @lefty o i live in Canada and thus no easy green for me 😞 amazon is all out and it says we don't know when it will be back. I have seen both Thrive+ by NilocG and seachem flourish in stores alongside other products i Never hear mentioned so figure they're bung... any opinions on which one to use instead?

On 7/23/2021 at 7:32 AM, Bettaboiii said:

So where i live i have Incredibly hard water since we get it from the lake in my city. the fish do Great in it and i'm very lucky to live in the same sewer district as my fave lfs so our water is Identical. plants are doing well too, but i'd love to give them a boost. However i really don't know how to approach fertilizing with hard water... i feel like it would mess with the water chemistry and depending on whats already in the water, it may even end up overdosing something. of course i may be over thinking this cause i haven't really seen anything either way, i just am nervous since most people talk about 

Hi @Bettaboiii

Hardness isn't as much an issue as pH.  The various macro and micro nutrients become less available to plants at the high and low pH levels.  This may help.
spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3