Corydora Fry

Ingrid

Newbie here. I tried to search for an answer but...I have so many questions.

I got Pepper Corys breeding. Great, right? Well the problem is I am not sure what to put the hatching fry in. There are so many different ways to raise them. I collected the first batch of eggs eight days ago. Kept in a rubbermaid snack container with about a cup of water and added few drops of hydrogen peroxide. Changed out the water three to four times a day with tap water that had cycle and aqua-plus added to it. (I did not use the parent tank water as I have been medicating for ICK). The water sits and is room temperature. I have a halogen lamp above for light and it produces good warmth.

Today they are hatching and I am not sure what/how to keep them. I am unable to purchase anything at the moment. So, is it ok to raise the little gaffers in a plastic or glass container? How deep? How big? Airstone? When would a sponge filter be required. I've got pool filter sand for the bottom, and I can use some moss from one of the clean tanks. I raise BBS and have frozen Daphnia to begin feeding in a couple of days. So far today, I have seven hatched from the 23 eggs which were fertile.

Yesterday, they laid another batch of eggs - 60! Guess they like the tank parameters. I have only had them for three months, the older gals, and added four more younger ones in the last two weeks. They are all from the LFS, but different batches so not siblings.  It  looks like I have three of each male/female.

Also, one of the guppies decided to drop their fry as well. So I have them in a ten gallon. Would I be able to grow-out the corydoras in the same tank?

Gosh sorry. But I wasn't prepared for all these babies. I thought it would take awhile for the corydoras to spawn. 

Cory hatch 1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 3

On 7/8/2021 at 1:41 PM, Ingrid said:

I got Pepper Corys breeding. Great, right? Well the problem is I am not sure what to put the hatching fry in. There are so many different ways to raise them. I collected the first batch of eggs eight days ago. Kept in a rubbermaid snack container with about a cup of water and added few drops of hydrogen peroxide. Changed out the water three to four times a day with tap water that had cycle and aqua-plus added to it. (I did not use the parent tank water as I have been medicating for ICK). The water sits and is room temperature. I have a halogen lamp above for light and it produces good warmth.

Today they are hatching and I am not sure what/how to keep them. I am unable to purchase anything at the moment. So, is it ok to raise the little gaffers in a plastic or glass container? How deep? How big? Airstone? When would a sponge filter be required. I've got pool filter sand for the bottom, and I can use some moss from one of the clean tanks. I raise BBS and have frozen Daphnia to begin feeding in a couple of days. So far today, I have seven hatched from the 23 eggs which were fertile.

Yesterday, they laid another batch of eggs - 60! Guess they like the tank parameters. I have only had them for three months, the older gals, and added four more younger ones in the last two weeks. They are all from the LFS, but different batches so not siblings.  It  looks like I have three of each male/female.

Also, one of the guppies decided to drop their fry as well. So I have them in a ten gallon. Would I be able to grow-out the corydoras in the same tank?

Gosh sorry. But I wasn't prepared for all these babies. I thought it would take awhile for the corydoras to spawn. 

Cory hatch 1.jpg

I was recently in a similar situation. I setup a 10 gallon bare bottom tank cause I had one sitting around and just filled it half way. I had a clump a subswassertang(probably not spelled correctly) that I put in there with them.  

if you have the 10 setup and running already and there aren’t any larger fish to snack on the fry I would put the cory fry in there as well. Maybe just have to feed a little more to get food past the guppy fry. 

My spawn wasn’t 60 I only had a dozen or so. I put them in the display once they hit 1/2 inch. I fed baby brine, the coop fry food, and hikari first bites

image.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 3

On 7/8/2021 at 12:41 PM, Ingrid said:

Cory hatch 1.jpg

I’m interested in breeding corys when I get my fish room set up, so I don’t have any advice but it sounds like you are on your way.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well my albino Cory cat egg keep fuzzing up at times while In the tumbler.. it’s so hard to tell good eggs from bad as they all look about the same color. I did have one fry appear today. He’s all alone. I had no idea how freaking small they would be. What do I do with this lil one. Took him outta the tumbler removed two badly fuzzed eggs. And place it back with the air stone to keep on tumbling. My corys also  Layed  even more eggs in side of tumbler. Should I try leaving the on there and risk loosing them in my 36 g tank. With their parents and snails. And neo cherry  shrimp. 

My Bronze Cories laid eggs yesterday, the second time in two months. I wanted to make sure they had finished laying before I collected any of the eggs so today I collected the eggs to put in a bare-bottomed, 4g tank, with a sponge filter and no heat, just the ambient room temp. to discover if they'll hatch quicker.

When they hatch and are free-swimming, I'll feed them Tetra-Min flake fish food that has been crushed into a very fine powder, and then gradually work up to larger foods such as pureed nightcrawler and then Bloodworms. 

ARMYVET; It's hard to tell the difference between a male and female Cory when you buy them at your LFS. What I've had to do is buy several at a time, place three in each of three tanks with the temp set at about 85 degrees ( A book I have on keeping and breeding Cories says to keep the temp at 86 degrees), feed them a variety of foods to condition them for breeding, and wait. 

The males are smaller and skinnier than the females which are larger and rounder than the males and the book ( Hobbyist Guide to Catfish and Loaches ISBN 3-89356-138-2 by Tetra Press ) states that we should have a ratio of three males for each female so obviously the sperm count for male Cories must be quite low (?). This book also has a section on Pleco's.

If your LFS doesn't have this book in stock or doesn't carry this book, you can call or write to Tetra at Tetra Sales U.S.A., 3001 Commerce Street, Blacksburg, VA. 24060, or call 1-800-576-0650, or by email TETRA-FISH.COM. This email address may be all lower case letters, I don't know, I've always just called them if I've had a question about one of their products and you'd be surprised at all they own.

Sincerely

Gator 

On 9/12/2021 at 10:46 PM, Gator said:

place three in each of three tanks with the temp set at about 85 degrees ( A book I have on keeping and breeding Cories says to keep the temp at 86 degrees)

85 degrees??!! I thought cories were supposed to like things cooler! ( not disagreeing, just surprised)

@Georgiapeach88 you will get better after a few times seeing the eggs. You may need to check the eggs 12-24 hours and take anyones that are bad. By this point if you could not see the white eggs to remove from the yellow/gold colored good eggs. If you still can’t tell you may choose to use Methylene blue. I don’t use a tumbler or methylene blue on Cory eggs but a lot of people do use one or both. I have a a very fine meshed breeder box with an air stone 

• Thanks 1

On 9/14/2021 at 1:32 AM, Brandon p said:

@Georgiapeach88 you will get better after a few times seeing the eggs. You may need to check the eggs 12-24 hours and take anyones that are bad. By this point if you could not see the white eggs to remove from the yellow/gold colored good eggs. If you still can’t tell you may choose to use Methylene blue. I don’t use a tumbler or methylene blue on Cory eggs but a lot of people do use one or both. I have a a very fine meshed breeder box with an air stone 

Yeah that may be my next step.  I may be getting more underutilized eggs too since I got these corys in April this yr. they are still on the young side. 

• Like 1

Some cories do better than others at higher temperatures. I have some that are about 6 years old. They are Corydoras aeneus, both the bronze and albino. I have keep them in my Discus tank that is keep at 84. The cories layer for the first 3 years. I also have cories at room temp for me at 78, the water is about 2 degrees lower and they do fine. 

• 3 weeks later...