Breeding Mystery Snails

Sombat

I have successfully breeded my mystery snails how I was successful is by having a close top leaving the water level two or three in low average temperature 75 degrees. It laid 3 clutches in 3 days then two days later it laid 2 more clutches. Within 3 days the first clutches started turning a pinkish color then a few days later they started getting dark spots which let me know that the baby snails were developing after eight days since the clutch was laid I know this part of it starting to Tear A Part and there were little snails I left that one go and only half of them hatched so on the next one that started hatching I would take a little bit of tank water and splash it on the clutch once a day and that allowed the full clutch to hatch. I would not crumble any clutches because the babies eat the clutch as their first food. Hope this can help whoever reads it

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 1:08 PM, Colu said:

Good luck with your breeding project 

On 6/5/2021 at 2:23 PM, laritheloud said:

How many mystery snails do you have, and how long did it take them to start laying egg clutches? I would love to breed mine. I have three snails, all different colors, but I have approximately 0 signs of mating or egg laying, and I'm starting to wonder if I just have all females....

Drop your water level 2 or 3 inches and leave it. Mystery snails are not hermaphrodites. But they can change their sexual orientation so as long as you have a few and they are still young enough they will reproduce but you have to drop your water level 2 or 3 in because that is where they will lay their eggs

On 7/2/2021 at 3:38 PM, Jimycle said:

Drop your water level 2 or 3 inches and leave it. Mystery snails are not hermaphrodites. But they can change their sexual orientation so as long as you have a few and they are still young enough they will reproduce but you have to drop your water level 2 or 3 in because that is where they will lay their eggs

I've given in a try before, but no dice. Also, sad news, but one of my mystery snails appears to be unwell. Hasn't moved much in two days, moved very sluggishly a few inches yesterday and hasn't moved since. Only opens up slightly during "air baths" and isn't dead yet. My other two snails are very active and doing fine, so I'm not sure what happened. I'm checking on him twice a day to make sure he's still alive. We'll see.

• Sad 1

Okay this is like my 8 or 9th Time trying to hatch these, I have about five pairs and it's either the eggs drop off the walls and into the tank or they do this or nothing at all, am I missing something here because I've tried multiple different tanks, multiple setups and for some reason I just can't do it 

IMG_20210703_012253.jpg

Do you keep it covered and have ventilation holes on the sides?

How wet are you keeping it inside the container? It only needs to be moist and humid, not sopping wet inside the hatching container.

Are you just floating it in the main tank? Could it be too hot or cold for incubation? 

How long are incubating for? The last time I did it, it only took 2-3 weeks. 

I just followed Rachel O’Leary‘s guide for them. Let me know if you’ve tried her method. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It’s been a while since I posted anything new about my mystery snail breeding or lack there of. But I do believe I have finally see mystery snail babies. There are a lot of bladder snails in this tank but these other snails look like the swirl is on the side unlike the bladder snails swirl is straight back. 

7835E6FA-273B-4428-A741-0F6C04709B89.jpeg

D05F0B2C-6AFA-4110-906A-539C376ED299.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I pretty much just left things alone. I have clutches in three tanks. Two Fluval Flex 9 gallons and 75 gallon community tank where all the mystery snails are housed. I had taken them out of the 9 gallons but left the clutches. Some of the clutches fell into the water but they were on the glass above water for many weeks. The snails have been laying more clutches pretty regularly in the community tank but I haven’t seen mystery snail babies in this tank. I actually found the mystery snail babies in the shrimp tank. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

After trying so many different types of hatching methods, I finally got a mass of viable snail babies. These babies are from my main 75 gallon community tank. I used a plastic container but instead of doing the method of changing wet paper towels each day I just placed the snail clutch in a dry container with no lid inside the tank. This allowed for humidity while still in the water. Wasn’t sure if this would work but here’s the proof. 

3E4FC43F-9D7B-4EA0-A90D-587DE07C0046.jpeg

84A2D88C-2FC4-4A8E-8123-7AABC54A9C6C.jpeg

12E4619F-F888-44BE-ADF6-13648353EDF7.jpeg

F49D6CD1-1D8A-4CA3-A6EB-73705C6DF244.jpeg

B0C3D239-DB7A-402B-BEBC-696454B178EE.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 2