Breeding Mystery Snails

Sombat

On 6/18/2021 at 6:22 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Seriously though! I feel bad for my females and wonder since I don't want to breed if I should move my male to another tank. 

Oh let them have fun. You can just raise the water level high enough to prevent the females from laying the clutches. 

Oh it doesn't prevent them, they just go to the glass lid -my water level is always high enough I don't see the water line behind the rim. I"m not terribly worried about ME having to remove sacks, more concerned that they might be shortening their lifespan by so much activity and they're getting no offspring out of it. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
Typos are lame
  • Like 1

Some hobbyist are accidentally breeding mystery snails. Me, I’m trying so hard but have yet to have successful new snail babies. Except for the Bladder snails of course. I’m probably going to seem like a broken record but I’m happy to announce I found two new clutches in two different tanks today. Going to leave them be. I still have many clutches in the breeder box unhatched.  

AA384023-E917-469B-9FEC-534EC7FEB2D2.jpeg

089F9F72-3408-40BE-B6A0-C1A693611D1A.jpeg

• Like 1

Here’s an update. Observed some movement today in the Breeder tank. A tiny spec crawling around on the styrofoam. Also found some others. I can’t verify that this is a baby snail. Will check again later today. 

472454D5-DB17-4454-A98C-36CAACAF42EE.jpeg

• Love 1

On 6/30/2021 at 4:19 PM, Sombat said:

Here’s an update. Observed some movement today in the Breeder tank. A tiny spec crawling around on the styrofoam. Also found some others. I can’t verify that this is a baby snail. Will check again later today. 

472454D5-DB17-4454-A98C-36CAACAF42EE.jpeg

Congratulations that sure looks like one. I’ll check my snail tub and see if I can’t get you a picture for comparison 

Yours definitely looks like a baby snail. Mine looks more like a tiny ant. I think I see some legs in the middle and back area. Perhaps if I get a view from the foot side it will be more visible. But for now they are still on top of the styrofoam. 

Like I said I don’t know if it is. You said it had legs and all I can see is the outline...bad eyes. I only know this stuff because I had damselyfly larvae hatch in my shrimp tank.

they hover the surface of the water and stab a stem or leaf of a plant and insert the eggs. It takes 2-5 weeks to hatch and they can remain in larvae stage (underwater) for 2 years.  Voracious predators primary diet small snails and crustaceans...shrimp etc. a dragonfly lays in clutches so if there is one there is more probably.

could have been on a plant, or open window lid hole tall plant laid directly in your tank.

i do hope that is not what it is please keep me posted. The bad news anything that will kill them will  annihilate  Everything else. Netting them out....this is what I know from reading dragonfly info is always in with damselfly info.

Edited by Guppysnail

On 6/18/2021 at 9:22 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Seriously though! I feel bad for my females and wonder since I don't want to breed if I should move my male to another tank. 

Just to let you know males outnumbering females can actually mate the female to death or constantly be at her to the point she starves and dies from exhaustion 

Thank you Guppysnail. Your information is always helpful. Found the baby on the side of the styrofoam at this time. Couldn’t get a photo. The iPhone camera at maximum zoom is not very clear anyways. 

Observed two Bladder snails hitchhiking on a Blue Mystery this morning. 

image.jpg

On 7/1/2021 at 9:42 AM, Guppysnail said:

Awww so cute. Did you find out what the bug was?

Negative, it was on the side of the styrofoam at the time. But I just pulled the styrofoam up to get a photo attempt. 

image.jpg

32A693B8-58C3-4B86-A9CE-50A9E7E09995.jpeg

You could always raise babies in a tub until they are to large to be harmed 78 - 80 degrees unlimited food bare bottom and sponge should only take a month or so. You can even use like a 1 or 2 gallon Rubbermaid. 

On the upside they will keep your bladder snails in check. Make sure your babies are bigger than the larvae and your bladders. They will feed on bladders first

Edited by Guppysnail

Found my mystery snail, Lucky, laying eggs this morning. This is slightly exciting. I do not have anything set up to rear them, so I am just going to leave them alone and see what happens. This is the first breeding that has taken place in my tank, and I am excited! How long does it usually take for the clutch to hatch?

P.S. She got the name lucky because someone had put her and another snail (Houdini) in the assassin snail tank. My husband and I rescued them. Now it looks like they are having their first babies!

IMG_0547.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Congratulations!!! I am also expecting my first  viable snail babies. I have had numerous clutches in breeding tank and also left alone provided they don’t fall into the water. I just found three more clutches today. 

• Like 1