My tank/pond journey.

Soooo, I decided to start a journal here because 1) it helps me keep track and 2) having some help and more advanced advice seems like it would be super beneficial 🙂

So on 5/22/2021 I started my tank. Fluval Stratum, some rocks, a couple of fake decorations (I think they're cute, dont judge me) &  I got my plants in, added water, started my filter(s), heater, and stared at it.

Plants added are:
Dwarf Sag
2 Crypt Wendtii bronze
2 Crypt Wendtii green
2 Crypt Wendtii red
2 bunches Red Myrio
2 Rosette swords
2 Anubias Coffee
4 Anubias Barteri
4 Anubias Nana Petite 
4 Java ferns 

My light is an Aqueon Optibright +, initially I had it running 6 hours, but a few of my plants are showing signs of yellowing so I kicked it up to 8. 

I started testing the water the next day... Ammonia? What?! THERES NOTHING IN HERE... I added prime, did a 40% water change and it didn't change the reading... I came here to find out that my stratum may be the culprit. 

I was going to do a fishless cycle, but Oto's are so hard to come by in my area that when I went to pick up a lid for my tank and saw otos in stock I had to get some for another tank, and added 3 to this one.... So now we've got fish.

I tested the water today, ammonia is still higher than zero but looks to be trending down... I will include pictures. 

5/27/2021

PXL_20210527_153226206.NIGHT.jpg

5/28/2021

PXL_20210528_174546834.NIGHT.jpg

Edited by CosmicAshhole
Pics

6 minutes ago, CosmicAshhole said:

I was going to do a fishless cycle, but Oto's are so hard to come by in my area that when I went to pick up a lid for my tank and saw otos in stock I had to get some for another tank, and added 3 to this one.... So now we've got fish.

I am supplementing their food with algea wafers and zucchini from my garden.  I do not want them to starve to death lol 

Never had Oto's I just always hear how fragile they are and am almost scared to try them lol. Ammonia looks to be .25-.50ish? If that's the case I wouldn't be too worried. Unless Oto's are especially sensitive to it, that I don't know. I won't judge artificial decorations lol. I have a planted tank but I have to confess I do like the sunken ship look. I wouldn't mind setting up a dark tank with Denison barbs & a sunken ship, maybe even a skull. In my mind it would look like sharks swimming around a shipwreck.

19 minutes ago, sudofish said:

Never had Oto's I just always hear how fragile they are and am almost scared to try them lol. Ammonia looks to be .25-.50ish? If that's the case I wouldn't be too worried. Unless Oto's are especially sensitive to it, that I don't know. I won't judge artificial decorations lol. I have a planted tank but I have to confess I do like the sunken ship look. I wouldn't mind setting up a dark tank with Denison barbs & a sunken ship, maybe even a skull. In my mind it would look like sharks swimming around a shipwreck.

I lovvveeee the sunken ship look! It could look really awesome if done correctly.   Here's a pic of my current set up.

I have read otos are fragile, I'm hoping for the best. If the ammonia doesn't go down itself tonight I'll be doing a water change tomorrow. They are all acting ok for now... Swimming, eating, and their under side doesnt look like their gills are red. 

PXL_20210528_193655589.jpg

• Like 4

I wouldn’t worry to much. Stratum does put some Nitrogen in the water, but you have tons of plants and that should help use it up quickly. They’ll take up Nitrogen in the form of Ammonia or Nitrates. They’ll also add some beneficial bacteria to get your cycle started. Keep an eye on the Ammonia level, and do a water change if it goes up instead of down. 
The Otocinclus will probably need some supplemental food while your tank grows some algae for them to eat.  I like to see little round bellies on mine. 

• Like 2

Try some blanched zucchini slice for the Oto's. Easy in the microwave in a bit of water for 1 min.  You can elastic band it to a small rock and drop in. Good for 24 hrs. They are sensitive and like established tanks with bio film and algae generally, but once settled and eating in months they should do just fine.  Bonus...great at busting brown diatom in newer cycled tanks!   

• Like 3

Today, I will be doing a partial water change on my 20L and I'm also setting up a 20 to start as a QT tank...my question is, does this have to cycle like a regular tank?  Common sense tells me yes.  I was thinking about using my sponge filter from my established baby tank (8.75) to get some bacteria in there but I don't think it would be enough for it? 

I read someone's journal which said just do the med trio.  No matter what, just do it. So I'm doing it. I'm bleaching this old 20 Gallon and I'll get it set up in a spare bedroom to make sure not to cross contaminate.

I also have a 100gallon rubber maid that I'm thinking of moving to my covered patio to start some floating plants and maybe breeding minnows for my turtle?? I dunno, gotta research more.

I will be buying CO2 for my 20L since it looks like some of my plants aren't happy. Expecting an order from co-op on Tuesday which has root tabs and easy green and easy carbon (for now)

This entry is all over the place, have I mentioned I have ADHD? 😂

For the 20g qt tank the filter from your other tank should be fine as long as you don’t add to many fish at once. You’re filtering for the amount of fish not the amount of water as Cory said today in his livestream. If you start another new filter alongside the old one it’ll get seeded faster and you’ll be able to handle more fish. 

Don’t worry if some of the plants seem to be struggling. You said the tank was started on the 22nd so it’s only eight days old. There will be some adjustment period as they get used to the tank. Some have been grown in air at the farm and will convert to growing submerged, and the rest of them just need to get used to the new environment. 

• Like 2

On 5/28/2021 at 6:16 PM, Trish said:

Try some blanched zucchini slice for the Oto's. Easy in the microwave in a bit of water for 1 min.  You can elastic band it to a small rock and drop in. Good for 24 hrs. They are sensitive and like established tanks with bio film and algae generally, but once settled and eating in months they should do just fine.  Bonus...great at busting brown diatom in newer cycled tanks!   

Should I peel the zucchini or is skin ok? 

You might test your tap water. The water company sometimes adds ammonia to make the water safer for humans to drink. My water sometimes has about 0.5 ppm ammonia. Prime binds the ammonia (makes it not toxic for fish) for 24 hours or so, giving my plants/bacteria time to convert it into nitrites and then to nitrates.

😡 

I'm probably being impatient. 

I just need to chill. 

My impromptu Otos are doing great. My snail invasion is *thriving*. I just gotta chill. 

On another note, thanks to the beautiful pictures that @Salshared of her big tank...I have started a secret savings account so I can get that project started completely ignoring the fact that I am currently doing roughlt 4 others. 😂

PXL_20210603_175655631.PORTRAIT.jpg

17 minutes ago, CosmicAshhole said:

On another note, thanks to the beautiful pictures that @Salshared of her big tank...I have started a secret savings account so I can get that project started completely ignoring the fact that I am currently doing roughlt 4 others. 😂

YAY!  Happy to have been some inspiration!  That tank was a DIY labor of love, but absolutely worth it!!  ❤️

• Love 1

Still not plant weights.. I ordered some from Amazon and they should be here tomorrow.

I ordered my fish for the tank to start their quarantine.  I ordered from Aquatic Arts... The shipping was nearly more than the fish.

I expected it to take longer for them to ship them out, but they are going to be here tomorrow...

Anyone have experience with this place?

I'm getting 2 Peral Gourami, 9 Serpae Tetras, and 5 assassin snails to clean up my snail infestation just a bit.  Only two will be going in the 20L.  The rest will be in the "plant tank" that I accidentally... had...to set up.

So it seems I am STILL biting off more than I can chew these days. 

@CosmicAshholeI would go ahead and do a water change since you have otos and snails already in the tank and your levels are quite high.  Always add Prime to dechlorinate your water before adding to your tank.  This will aid in reducing Nitrites.  You’re striving for Nitrates between 5-15 ppm, ideally below 20.  Ammonia 0 and Nitrites 0.   You could also add Stability to give your biological filter a kick start.  

I am not familiar with Oto’s but since they are sensitive by nature, reducing those Ammonia and Nitrites will only make them happier!  

Good luck!  

• Love 1

@CosmicAshholeSorry for all of the comments.  You should also consider adding biological media to your filtration if you have not already.  I’ve had great success with Seachem Matrix but there are many options out there.  

i think I’ve touched on everything I can offer but if you have more questions feel free to throw them my way!  

• Love 1

On 6/8/2021 at 5:12 PM, CosmicAshhole said:

Still not plant weights.. I ordered some from Amazon and they should be here tomorrow.

I ordered my fish for the tank to start their quarantine.  I ordered from Aquatic Arts... The shipping was nearly more than the fish.

I expected it to take longer for them to ship them out, but they are going to be here tomorrow...

Anyone have experience with this place?

I'm getting 2 Peral Gourami, 9 Serpae Tetras, and 5 assassin snails to clean up my snail infestation just a bit.  Only two will be going in the 20L.  The rest will be in the "plant tank" that I accidentally... had...to set up.

So it seems I am STILL biting off more than I can chew these days. 

I have ordered from aquatic arts a few times. always had good results with the fish. Shipping is expensive, but they don't use post office, so your fish don't sit at office or in your mail box for a few days...

Aqua Huna uses the post office, but they are very fast to take care of any DOAs or issues with an order.

• Love 2