My tank/pond journey.

On 6/14/2021 at 9:03 AM, CosmicAshhole said:

I did a 50% water change yesterday.  Tested this morning and my levels are still crazy high.  Should I do another water change?

I have Stability on the way. It'll be here later today.  Unless otherwise advised I will do another 40% water change. 

My gourami's and tetras are here... They're currently in their quarantine tank. I love them.

@CosmicAshholei agree with the water change. I’d expect to be doing some water changes every few days until you get to the other side of this adding a little extra Prime as you go. I’d expect to have something similar when you add the tetras and gourami to the tank. The stability will help. Like you said stay chill and water change accordingly! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@CosmicAshhole I’m so happy things are leveling off for you!  I agree with a previous post mentioning that sometimes water changes are done more frequently during the cycling process but the stability works great to speed up the process.  To keep your bacteria levels good I would add some bio balls or any bio media if you haven’t already, like the Matrix.  There are a ton out there though but I’m having good luck with this one in particular.  

I’m so happy your new babies came too!  I can’t wait to see a pic when they are in their new home!!  Hope you’re having a great day!  

• Like 1

Thank you!  I tested again this morning and its the same, I added the second dose of stability. 🙂

I do have a couple of questions... 

1) How do you do other forms of filter media?  Do you just add them in to the HOB? Take out the regular carbon filter?

2) When I add the group to my new tank how do I acclimate them?  Should I set up a drip system? if so... how much water do I use of the old tank and how long should the new tank drip into it?

I don't want to mess this part up... I lost two tetras in the quarantine process but I think everyone else is healthy and doing great so far. 

@CosmicAshholeI’m so sorry to hear about your tetras that passed.  That’s so sad.  

I have HOB’s and also had the same questions on it and contacted the company that makes it and will explain what the said to do.   I never use the carbon unless I’m remove medications.  Some people like using it so I think it comes down to preference.  

I use the Matrix, Fluvals bio foam 106/107 and a bio plate that came with my filter.  I cut the foam to a piece that will fit to slide into the filter.   You could use any filter floss too - anything to trap particles from the dirty water.  This should be the first point of contact when the water enters your filter.  Then I just put the Matrix in.   Depending on what type of media you get you may have to put it in a mesh bag but the Matrix is fine without it.  So, the bio plate/bio media would be the last point of contact before it enters the tank again.  

Others might have a better method but this has worked great for me and what was recommended by Aqua Top.  

I can’t say what method would be best for your situation as far as acclimating them.  I don’t want to give you the wrong advice so maybe someone else could help.  I only have bettas as far as fish go.  When I’ve moved them in the past to a new tank I add stability which you’re already doing and use the same filter media in the tank they are coming from.  Sometimes the same filter.  I’m sorry I’m not more helpful.  

• Love 1

@CosmicAshholeYou’re welcome!  I’m so glad I could help!  

one thing I have to mention is to make sure you rinse off any bio media because it can be really dusty/chalky and cloud up your water.  With the matrix I actually let it soak in conditioned water for a day after rinsing it.  I don’t find it to be as messy as some other brands out there.  

I will keep an eye one your progress and questions.  It’s really cool you are journaling your journey!  Good luck with your plants too!!  

• Like 1

So here is my updated testing. I expected the ammonia to be a little higher today because I put my 8 tetras in the tank because the stability said it was ok as long as I dose every day for 7 days. Today is day 3. 

Should I add prime? I don't think I should, but I am not an expert. 

Is it ok to dose easy green during this time? Or should I hold off? 

I might add in my gouramis today, I'm not sure. 

PXL_20210617_155812727.jpg

Love may be in the air. If one has a wider mid section it’s possibly a female. With gouramis I've found the females can be just as demanding as the males to breed. 
You can also tell a male pearl gourami from a female by the shape of their fins. Males generally have longer and larger fins that their female counterparts. Additionally, the fins have a more angular, pointed shape on males. The dorsal and anal fins have extensions that grow off the tips of the dorsal and anal fins.” 
It might take awhile to sex them as they’re just settling in. Otos are awesome. Are those serpae tetras? Always liked the look of them heard they can be nippy - how have you found them so far?

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 2:04 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Are those serpae tetras? Always liked the look of them heard they can be nippy - how have you found them so far?

Yes they are.  And yes, I've come to find they are very nippy with each other.  They don't mess with the gouramis or the otos.   I am feeding them twice a day to keep them from going after each other.  If I would've known this beforehand, I probably would have gone with another fish.  Learning more and more daily 🙂

On 6/18/2021 at 2:59 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

I’ve found the sweet spot is usually 7-11.

I have 8.  It looks like a couple are pregnant, or just bigger... I do fin checks to see how bad the little ones are getting bullied and it doesn't look *TOOOOO* bad.  But it's not great either. 

On 6/18/2021 at 3:23 PM, Patrick_G said:

Do you have room for a big piece of hardscape in your tank? It looks like you could fit some wood or aquascaping stone in right in front of the filter. That might break the sight line and curb the nipping a bit. 

I've actually been thinking about pulling out the dwarf sag as it seems to just be snail food.  I do have some nice pieces of stone laying around.  I can figure something out. 

• Like 2

On 6/18/2021 at 3:53 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Floaters can also help fish feel more secure sometimes and curb some of the unwanted behaviors. I’d try one thing give it a couple weeks and try another. 

I do have some floaters in there.  They were added a couple of weeks ago, before the fish. 

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 7:11 PM, CosmicAshhole said:

I do have some floaters in there.  They were added a couple of weeks ago, before the fish. 

Sounds really stressful.  You could always tie some anubias or buchephalandra to the rocks or wood?  I apologize if you already did this.  It would create more little areas to hide and scurry off to and looks really pretty.