Rice Fish Medaka

icvu123

11 minutes ago, icvu123 said:

Does anyone have Medaka rice fish for sale? I'm interested in starting an outdoor pond and would like some for it

@icvu123 I would check AquaHuna or Aquabid as a source. I know I was able to find some on Aquabid when I last looked for them. Forum guideline prohibit selling or giving away aquarium related supplies or animals. So the Forum will not be able to help you out.

Good luck on Aquabid!

• 1 month later...

I have also been looking recently as I decided to start an indoor pond recently. Currently looks like the most prolific sellers on aquabid are only in the UK/EU. This makes sense as the hobby for rice fish is bigger there than here in the states as of yet. 

I am not really expecting to find anything quickly, but I figured I would post here to express interest in case anyone was trying to determine if they should start breeding and producing these here in the states. 

I, personally, would like to see about getting a few of each and trying to breed a tricolor fish as these are the closest to tiny Koi I have seen. However, I have heard they are hard to get to breed true even after you get your first tricolor fry. 

Bought mine from Aquabid over the winter. I’d expect you might find some there. When I’ve seen them on AquaHuna I think they were Daisy’s rice fish which require higher temps as they’re from South Asia.  You can sometimes find them on eBay. One option is to get eggs, they are sometimes listed on Aquabid under killifish I think because kilii people are used to buying eggs and hatching them out. Best of luck. They are worth it. 

DF94A628-E831-48D8-AD97-83864AD9CDD3.png

I edited my post...I named a specific fish farm and then realized I'm not supposed to do that. Check online 🙂.

Edited by JudyS
Named a fish business and should not have...

20 hours ago, JudyS said:

Imperial Tropicals has some Daisy's Ricefish (Oryzias woworae) for sale online. They are a tropical fish farm in central Florida.

As stated above, daisy's like more tropical temps than medaka rice fish, but are so worth it. The males, in their deep blue spawning dress when the lights first turn on, is something to behold. And you can't go wrong with a school of two colors (males with the shimmering blue, and females more of an orange). Very cool fish.

@icvu123 If you just google "Medaka rice fish for sale," multiple options will pop up. Specific sellers listed here are hardly the only ones.

@Siett88 Just last night, I was actually trying to understand whether Daisy's and Medaka are just a color variant of the same fish. More info please? If they aren't medaka, then what exactly are they? I'm trying to figure out whether they'd be a smart buy for me. 

3 hours ago, Diving Aquarist said:

Daisy's Rice fish are 'Oryzias woworae', Medaka (Japanese rice fish) are 'Oryzias latipes'.

See it as guppies and endlers, closely related, but not the same species. They can probably hybridise (anyone tried this??). There are more species in the 'Oryzias' genus besides these 2, btw.

They originate from different parts of Asia. Where the Daisy's rice fish (Indonesia), to my knowledge, is also mostly wild-type colours, the Medaka (Japan) were bred into a whole bunch of variants in Japan over more than 100 years. In that way, they are comparable to koi.

Nailed it, closely related and there are several other species in the genus oryzias. Also, while medaka have been in captivity for hundreds of years, daisy's were only discovered in the late 00's!

Edited by Siett88

• 2 months later...

So I was finally able to get some Medaka rice fish through Aquatic arts in June. All of them died (still don’t know why) but they bred like crazy the few weeks before and I was able to get ~30 to survive. I am also interested and seeing hobbyists begin to exchange these here in the states, to be able to get some new strains going. The four fish I got (blue miyuki) gave off at least three different colors including some beautiful black and bright shiny/glittering blue, and cellophane with some orange coloring. These are only a month old so who knows what their final colors will be, but I would love to increase their diversity. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Love 1

Love me some rice fish, working on breeding a few varieties at the moment. Have snow whites, yohiki (orange), orange lame (sparkling), and red caps. Here are some pics of the breeding rack, some tubs I’m trying to use as grow outs, and my 4 red caps:

C233769C-13F5-406F-9CF3-D18AA4B85776.jpeg.b83843b047f58299cd6446cbda865509.jpeg

63DEF7AA-BE23-4E26-B629-4EE26A52AAA6.jpeg.0ed7d0f7d8036e6e152d02b4875b1072.jpeg

22195BC4-4B60-469A-A020-F8FEB7AE38A4.jpeg.9cb2cdda2df211fbd3b31d7b44f6b9cf.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

@MoshJosh

I am curious if these large variation in offspring is common? Do you tend to see yours breed true? Do you even want them to? Or do you see a lot of mixing in their color and expression? It looks like you have setup designated pairs for breeding, so you are at least trying to control some of these outcomes.

I would imagine a good mix of genetics are probably better for the overall health of the fish/species, but seeing as how you are looking at some different variants I am wondering if you find that they tend to have significant variability in their offspring?

I quite enjoy the darker and sparkling variation I am getting in my offspring, but I am not sure if I should be a bit more discretionary in trying to breed them true, and if that is even possible. 

I haven’t been doing it for terribly long, and so a lot of my fry are still pretty small. That said my snow white variety seem to breed true. As most of their larger offspring look exactly like the parents. 

they are too small to tell for sure, but my Youhiki fry also appear to have the same coloration as their parents.

that said, when my local fish store had blue and orange sparkling for sale, there was quite a large variation among all the fish that were available. In that batch there were some very dark almost black ones and some more gold colored ones.

and yes I am trying to reproduce the strains that I have, i.e. hoping the fry all look like their parents. That said I did mix some orange sparkling I had with some “normal“ orange rice fish, selecting the ones I like the best, hoping that eventually I can produce a fish that’s it a more vibrant orange but still has some sparkle.

Here’s a picture where you can see the parents and their offspring in the same shot:

0F1A517B-1EC9-44FC-8FFF-3DF046D03F17.jpeg.cd6ffec51c9513e6265ed1dbb0c25c23.jpeg

Edited by MoshJosh
  • Like 1