Miller's Journal

• 2 weeks later...

I didn’t think I was going to post the ugly, but what’s a journal without it? Algae phase is beginning now, diatoms showing up along with GDA. I will make no changes as I know it will pass. I’d like to thank @Burr740 for the ongoing support with nutrient help. Basically, I’m dosing his formula on Macros but add/front load 12ppm K. Micros are BurrAqua per directions. I’m still using the ARC prototype reactor but will either build my own @Yugang reactor, or be testing the ARC V2 reactor, this depends on Tommy though! I had a 20 gallon QT tank shoved full of plants and crammed them all in here. I can’t believe non of them melted, but you can see how pissed off they all are. Either way, the tank is progressing and will become the competition tank in 2025. I filled the tank with tap water, 9GH and 7KH and doing water changes with mineralized RO water as I type this. I’m sure the plants are freaking out. The plants are looking better but not growing like the 120. Either way, tank is being cycled plants only. Pond snails doing work! I embrace them! IMG_0253.jpeg.802319db6e8dafa552df8c683d27b650.jpeg

Here’s the 120, I guess I’m getting there, I refuse to touch the Velho in the center because it’s actually growing. Left and right sides need to be reworked, Difformis still converting, but liking the direction much better now.IMG_0249.jpeg.79394be8ed35cd0a348d3aa6e03cb178.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

For those interested, both tanks are kept at 30ppm NO3, 10ppm PO4 and 40ppm K. Micros are .45Fe as proxy and per dose is as follows A 2 ML per 10 gal dose adds the following:
Fe DTPA - .12 ppm
Fe gluc - .03 ppm
Mn - .025 ppm
B - .023 ppm
Zn - .02 ppm
Cu - .0021 ppm
Mo - .001 ppm
Ni - .00011 ppm

I double dose both macros and micros immediately after a 50% water change. I water change every 7th day.

I forgot to mention, Ca is at 35ppm and Mg 5ppm. 

Final thoughts, chase those numbers!

• Like 2

On 6/8/2024 at 7:15 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

For those interested, both tanks are kept at 30ppm NO3, 10ppm PO4 and 40ppm K. Micros are .45Fe as proxy and per dose is as follows A 2 ML per 10 gal dose adds the following:
Fe DTPA - .12 ppm
Fe gluc - .03 ppm
Mn - .025 ppm
B - .023 ppm
Zn - .02 ppm
Cu - .0021 ppm
Mo - .001 ppm
Ni - .00011 ppm

I double dose both macros and micros immediately after a 50% water change. I water change every 7th day.

I forgot to mention, Ca is at 35ppm and Mg 5ppm. 

Final thoughts, chase those numbers!

Tanks are looking great!

I've been sticking to 3:1 Ca:Mg at 5 GH, but I'm also decidedly unscientific about why. What made you change to a 7:1 ratio?

On 6/9/2024 at 12:09 PM, gjcarew said:

Tanks are looking great!

I've been sticking to 3:1 Ca:Mg at 5 GH, but I'm also decidedly unscientific about why. What made you change to a 7:1 ratio?

I was getting wavey leaves on a few plants and Joe recommended the change. He mentioned I didn’t need as much Mg and 5 was plenty. Gave it a try and the leaves are flatter since the change.

On 6/9/2024 at 11:13 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

I was getting wavey leaves on a few plants and Joe recommended the change. He mentioned I didn’t need as much Mg and 5 was plenty. Gave it a try and the leaves are flatter since the change.

Interesting! I just got CO2 dialed in this weekend so all my plants are still pretty shocked right now. Maybe I'll try it out once everything has recovered a bit so I can actually tell a difference.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2024 at 12:19 PM, gjcarew said:

Interesting! I just got CO2 dialed in this weekend so all my plants are still pretty shocked right now. Maybe I'll try it out once everything has recovered a bit so I can actually tell a difference.

According to him, the ratio thing isn’t a thing.

• 2 weeks later...

So many issues still, but here’s an updated photo.

My wife has been feeding the tank a bit too much while on a different work schedule hence the snail explosion. Small issue easily fixed but worth mentioning. Snails are a great indicator of over feeding.

IMG_0287.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 6/8/2024 at 10:15 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

For those interested, both tanks are kept at 30ppm NO3, 10ppm PO4 and 40ppm K. 

Any particular reasoning behind the PO4 dosage? Most sources are recommending more in the 10:1 ratio with NO3. 

Posted (edited)
On 6/23/2024 at 1:29 PM, Beach Cruiser said:

Any particular reasoning behind the PO4 dosage? Most sources are recommending more in the 10:1 ratio with NO3. 

From those I’ve talked with, ratios don’t hold up well.

Keep in mind I use hungry stem plants and high light. Any time I try to limit a parameter, the plants revolt.

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/23/2024 at 6:07 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Here’s the algae farm 😆. Broke out the UV sterilizer to speed up this phase. Plants are growing quite well considering how new the tank is. Not much happening, just a jungle for now.

image000000.jpeg

Looking great. Better than mine, I spent a hour just cleaning algae. It is better now, but still a work in progress. Your tanks are awesome! 

• Like 1

On 6/23/2024 at 4:10 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Looking great. Better than mine, I spent a hour just cleaning algae. It is better now, but still a work in progress. Your tanks are awesome! 

Thank you. This is so normal it just wait it out. It didn’t help I had the lights way too bright at the start as well. It’s on track to be clear soon. Big ol’ water changes and lower light for now.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2024 at 12:24 AM, daggaz said:

So on a scale of 1 to 10, where would you rate C02 injection?  Or you know, feel free to use whatever descriptive metric is actually useful to you. 

It completely changes the game. Makes everything better and has forced me to chase the numbers. As a result, my understanding/knowledge has increased significantly and makes nearly every plant available to me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/24/2024 at 6:51 AM, daggaz said:

Thought as much.  Your tanks look fantastic; I'm strongly considering upgrading. 

It’s worth it in every way. There’s a small learning curve to manage in the beginning but once you get comfortable the plants will explode.

• Like 2

On 6/29/2024 at 5:14 PM, Supermassive said:

@Mmiller2001 How do you trim your Limnophila sessiliflora so it doesn't explode into a bush?

Personally, I like it when it gets real thick so I just trim the tops and let it go. For now I’m pulling stems out to keep it thin. So topping and replanting with fewer stems to keep it less bushy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1