Bristlenose vs Oto vs Hillstream

Kalita

So I have a 33 gal with plants and driftwood that I'm slowly stocking. Currently I have 6 pepper corydoras, 2 guppies and a male betta (temporary). The corys are amazing for clean-up but I'm noticing some algae (not out of control) that I'd like an algae eater to feed on. I've been flip-flopping between a group of otos and a "super red" bristlenose pleco available from a local hobbyist. 

Oto

Pros

• small size
  • would be able to temporarily help out in 5 gal if algae if necessary without bothering shrimp 
  • won't uproot plants (+++)

Cons

• not colourful
  • more delicate
  • need group?

Bristlenose

Pros

• Colourful 
  • Only need 1
  • Hardier

Cons

• Plant disturber (---)
  • Heavier bioload?

What are your thoughts? Have you had issues with the BN uprooting plants? That con carries a lot of weight!

Would LOVE Hillstream loaches but most places say they need 55+ gallons.

Some pics for added benefit

March 2021.jpg

red bristlenose pleco.jpg

Edited by Kalita

I've only had regular colored bristlenose, but even the 1-2 inch ones will uproot anything not very well rooted.  Big ones move everything.  Otos IMO are only more delicate getting them home & healthy, once they are acclimated to my tank, no more delicate than any other fish, it seems to me they are great for keeping the plants clean - not sure about the glass so much.  One thing yo did not mention is pro/con how much do you see them.  Plecos in my experience the happier & healthier they are the less you see them.  Otos are really fun & playfull in my tanks, they flit all over, play with guppies and are overall really fun, we play "Where's Waldo" with them in our 55.  I have never had the hillstream loaches, but you can bet I will the first time I have a chance, they look amazing and don't appear to hide either.  Your tank is gorgeous, please keep us updated as it grows in.   Good luck & have fun.

• Like 1

I'm leaning towards the Hillstream loaches, especially after watching @Irene's video comparing them to otos. In it she she says min 20 gall for 3 so I should be ok with 3 in 33 or should do I 4? A LFS sells for $12, though out of stock right now so still some time to decide...

Edited by Kalita
  • Like 1

I love my Hillstream loaches.  If you get them on line I would recommend asking them to be sent in individual bags.  They enjoy the two places that I have bubble flow near the glass.  I often see them sitting in the stream.😊

You will likely need to feed them some sinking wafers, pellets, veggies or Repashy too.  Just make sure they won’t starve—I think that would go for any algae eater.  They do work well with Nerite snails if you don’t mind the white eggs the snails lay (but don’t hatch).

I have 2 Hillstream loaches reserved for next week, 1 for my 40 gallon, the other for my 29 gallon.  I recently bought more Amano's and they do an amazing job of keeping the plants clean. The otto's you would have to supplement if there isn't enough algae and for some reason I never see mine that often now.  My brown BN doesn't do much for plant clean up, and I never see them on the glass like you would a Hillstream loach.