60 gallon tank can’t grow plants

ScottEsh

I started this tank over a month ago and can’t get anything to grow. 
the water test say ph 7.4 ish

hardness and kh are ok

i have a small stock of fish in the tank 12 black neons, 1 pearl gourami, 2 molly, 2 Cory cats and a Chinese algae eater.

tank light is a fluval plant 3.0

im doing 25% water change weekly with ro water. Then add some sea chem flourish only 2ml per gallon 

tank will do nothing....

C16AA4A4-A865-4D04-A98A-10076B4EF2F9.jpeg

Are you doing water changes because your Nitrates are high or because you think you need to?

Water changes with RO is basically taking everything the plants need to grow out of the tank.  Unless your nitrates are approaching 40 ppm I would hold off on them.  

I am guessing your plants are starving for nutrients both Nitrates and micro nutrients they will need for new growth.

They basically have nothing to feed on with a gravel substrate and nothing in the water column.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DSH OUTDOORS said:

Are you doing water changes because your Nitrates are high or because you think you need to?

Water changes with RO is basically taking everything the plants need to grow out of the tank.  Unless your nitrates are approaching 40 ppm I would hold off on them.  

I am guessing your plants are starving for nutrients both Nitrates and micro nutrients they will need for new growth.

They basically have nothing to feed on with a gravel substrate and nothing in the water column.

I guess because I’m trying to get the water not so brown....

‘still new to the hobby. So no weekly water changes? That will save me a 2 hr trip to the store to buy 40 gallons of ro water every week.

‘I’m thinking of tearing it down and redoing the substrate with the dirt type I used in my Ram tank and the plants took off..

I would have to know more about your water to give you a definitive answer on that.  I have pretty hard water but in my 75 gallon tank with gravel substrate I am having no issues growing Java fern, annubius, hornwart and water sprite just using easy green, iron and potassium.

In my 95 gallon my Vallisneria, amazon sword and other floating plants are growing like weeds with runners going everywhere.  That is with a flourite substrate though.

@ScottEsh Wow, that is some commitment you have for your tanks. I wouldn’t keep fish if I had to drive 2hrs and buy RO water every week. I would definitely test your water more. You’re pretty lightly stocked in my opinion, so I doubt you even NEED to change water weekly. Once your plants get going you’ll need to do it even less.

It’s hard for me to identify your plants, but maybe they are slow growers. Are they dying off or just not noticeably growing?

5 minutes ago, OceanTruth said:

@ScottEsh Wow, that is some commitment you have for your tanks. I wouldn’t keep fish if I had to drive 2hrs and buy RO water every week. I would definitely test your water more. You’re pretty lightly stocked in my opinion, so I doubt you even NEED to change water weekly. Once your plants get going you’ll need to do it even less.

It’s hard for me to identify your plants, but maybe they are slow growers. Are they dying off or just not noticeably growing?

Here’s what I have...

18073200-0E09-4DD1-B5BD-462EA6C03BB6.jpeg

7CD5F56B-6594-4AD7-9723-51F5ABF784A6.jpeg

539935D0-AF03-4085-BCAF-5BFCD0FAA669.jpeg

1E8A4F19-2836-4A8D-A6A5-67901F118E47.jpeg

C99F8F42-AFAC-42C4-B1FE-1F68708D10D2.jpeg

11 minutes ago, DSH OUTDOORS said:

I would have to know more about your water to give you a definitive answer on that.  I have pretty hard water but in my 75 gallon tank with gravel substrate I am having no issues growing Java fern, annubius, hornwart and water sprite just using easy green, iron and potassium.

In my 95 gallon my Vallisneria, amazon sword and other floating plants are growing like weeds with runners going everywhere.  That is with a flourite substrate though.

What water info do you need? 

30 minutes ago, ScottEsh said:

I guess because I’m trying to get the water not so brown....

‘still new to the hobby. So no weekly water changes? That will save me a 2 hr trip to the store to buy 40 gallons of ro water every week.

‘I’m thinking of tearing it down and redoing the substrate with the dirt type I used in my Ram tank and the plants took off..

Here is a tank I just planted and got started 2 weeks ago

AC1B1EB8-5A5A-4807-826E-1D09C42D3B4B.jpeg

6 minutes ago, tekjunkie28 said:

Everything.  Why are you using RO water?   That has to be crazy expensive.  You probably could have bought several RO units by now.  

I get it from Meier at .44 a gallon. The water here is crap. Super hard and ph like 12 or higher tons of tds. 

As mentioned, RO water lacks minerals that plants and fish need. Even with very hard 'liquid rock' water, often a 50/50 mix with RO is all that's required. With that much wood, you'll have excessive tannin's for quite some time. If I was you, I wouldn't use RO water and would do 50% weekly water change followed by a cap or two of flourish comprehensive. You didn't mention your lighting...which can be an issue in a 24" deep tank, especially with brown water. You may need more intensity or a longer duration. I have a 48" Finnex Planted + 24/7 on my 60g in 24/7 mode on a timer from 7am-1am and plants grow well (but no tannins).

• Like 1

@MJV Aquatics is spot on. Your RO water plus tannins are totally inhospitable to plants. Tannins make it difficult for light to maintain PAR through your tank depth. Mix your high TDS mineralized water with RO. However, get a very reliable reading first. What can happen is that the tannins will cut through the buffer minerals (RO has _no_ buffer) and the tannins will start to Yo-Yo with pH. You might add crushed coral to your substrate to help add GH / buffer to the water. But this is all why your plants won’t grow. I’m guessing your pH right now is way down near 6.0. How do you get pH 7.4 and hardness? What test are you using? 

Edited by Fish Folk

45 minutes ago, MJV Aquatics said:

As mentioned, RO water lacks minerals that plants and fish need. Even with very hard 'liquid rock' water, often a 50/50 mix with RO is all that's required. With that much wood, you'll have excessive tannin's for quite some time. If I was you, I wouldn't use RO water and would do 50% weekly water change followed by a cap or two of flourish comprehensive. You didn't mention your lighting...which can be an issue in a 24" deep tank, especially with brown water. You may need more intensity or a longer duration. I have a 48" Finnex Planted + 24/7 on my 60g in 24/7 mode on a timer from 7am-1am and plants grow well (but no tannins).

The light is a fluval plant 3.0 48-60” it’s set for 12 hrs a day