Outdoor tubbing, what are your plans?

FrozenFins

LAST SUMMER we did our first outdoor mini tub. It was on the back porch. 15 gal. We used a large sponge filter and mini pump for underwater flow. We threw in some stem plants — Ludwigia, Anacharis— and water lettuce. We started with 6-8 guppies. Ended the summer with ca. 75 glorious sun colored guppies. Fed once or twice a day on various foods. 

This year, we plan to add a few more tubs. Hoping to create a mini “tub-falls” idea where water pours from higher tubs down to lower ones with guards in place to keep fry from getting sucked up. We’ll probably try larger tubs (25-40 gallons). Each will keep a sponge filter. Will try guppies in one... maybe all. But tentatively would like to try breeding Rainbow shiners when it’s still cold enough, and maybe something else like white clouds. Each will have some black diamond blasting sand for substrate. Main plants will be water lettuce because it grows so well in good sunlight. We will feed random mix of flake foods, some live bbs, etc. once enough larvae grow, feeding can back off some. 

C66BF2EA-E2F2-493D-82B4-A2AAEB133819.jpeg

• Like 6

Last year I had a 20 gallon tub with a sponge filter, planted bacopa and floated frogbit. I kept guppies the past three years.

This year I'm going to do a 40 gallon stock tub with water hyacinth and possibly some floating horwort. I have some Medaka in a 10 gallon right now. Just waiting for spring. No tech this year after speaking with some local fish keepers on how they bred their rice fish last year in tubs.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, ererer said:

Sounds like you didn't have any issues with predation last year? Did you take any special steps to avoid predators, both large and small?

We didn’t have major problems, no. It’s on our porch near the house and back door. I think there was enough to keep the coons and herons out. 

16 minutes ago, ererer said:

I think I'll be setting up some tubs this year for the first time. Sounds like you didn't have any issues with predation last year? Did you take any special steps to avoid predators, both large and small?

I dont have many predators where I live. But I do have my cats, so I just keep the cats inside. You could always drape a net over the tub if you find that your fish have been gone missing.

Im probably going to do a 2' x 6' kids pool with dirt. Or May be just a few large totes. Throw some java moss in there maybe try to find some variants of the java moss as well. Luckily I have power outside so I'll probably run a couple of cheap patio pond filters and probably continue just grow and experiment with livestock I have so some shrimp Guppies and mystery snails maybe I'll take a few of my vallisneria Runners out there and a few of my micro sword. If I can get my African dwarf frogs tadpoles to live I will convert a tub for them as well the mail has been making his calls but I still think they are too young. The Guppies will eventually breed. And I can put some of their fry out there my mystery snails are already breeding I have two clutches as we speak

My plan is to watch all you guys and gals tub 🙂 I get so much enjoyment from watching your videos and reading your picture stories.  I would like to myself, however, I lack a local petshop/fish store that will buy or accept donations (to just give the fish to them for free) from locals.

On 2/23/2021 at 12:30 PM, James Black said:

I did a simmilar post about outdoor tubbing not to long ago. But in this thread I want to know exactly what your thinking of. What plants, fish, dry goods, do you use a filter?.

Thanks for starting a new thread, I'm hungry for ideas and eager to start mine up 🙂

• Like 1

19 hours ago, binkysmom said:

Last year I had a 20 gallon tub with a sponge filter, planted bacopa and floated frogbit. I kept guppies the past three years.

This year I'm going to do a 40 gallon stock tub with water hyacinth and possibly some floating horwort. I have some Medaka in a 10 gallon right now. Just waiting for spring. No tech this year after speaking with some local fish keepers on how they bred their rice fish last year in tubs.

I'm on the lookout for medaka for my pond, I'm curious what breed you have and where you got them?

On 2/24/2021 at 11:42 AM, Charose said:

I'm on the lookout for medaka for my pond, I'm curious what breed you have and where you got them?

I'm in Canada. I ordered some red cap medaka from Angel Fins. I've also seen some orange medaka at my LFS (April's Aquariums in the Vancouver BC area). There are a few people breeding them in my area and I hope to get some locally in the spring.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, binkysmom said:

I'm in Canada. I ordered some red cap medaka from Angel Fins. I've also seen some orange medaka at my LFS (April's Aquariums in the Vancouver BC area). There are a few people breeding them in my area and I hope to get some locally in the spring.

Nice! My LFS has daisy's rice fish on occasion so either I'll get those or order some. I like those red caps and orange ones for sure. Once you have some good breading I'm sure you'll be able to find some in your area to trade 🙂

• Like 1