To pull the eggs or not pull the eggs, that is the question.

Brandy

So I have a dilemma.

I have Electric Blue Acara eggs that showed up unexpectedly in my 40 breeder. The parents have been diligently guarding them, and they appear viable. They are about 3 days old, so I expect them to hatch soon, and the parents have been digging little hollows to put the fry in in preparation. Their only tankmates are a cloud of mutt guppies who are curious but not gutsy enough to challenge an acara. They have been SUUCH good parents. 

PXL_20210126_223107178.jpg.211722676c31fb53c8a37373480399ec.jpg

I bought a Ziss EZ Breeder box because I would really like to grow out the fry, and I did not expect them to be this successful. I assume that if I left the fry with the parents they would raise them for 2 weeks and then possibly eat them and spawn again.

PXL_20210126_223035121.jpg.505eb34065e0d8b2cb715c724fecbf75.jpg

So I think I should pull the rock, but I kinda want to see if they will raise them? Ahhh, decisions decisions. The fry will be easier to target feed in the box, and I would get more to adulthood maybe. But if they can raise them to the brine shrimp eating stage I would be able to catch the fry in a few weeks before the parents spawn again...And it would be easier maybe?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Edited by Brandy
  • Like 3

It looks like you have enough eggs to try both strategies simultaneously.

I don’t have experience yet in this area, so I can only offer encouragement.

My folks’ White Clouds have spawned a couple of times, but my schedule hasn’t worked out to try to do anything with them.

• Like 1

As I drove in to work, I decided to pull the eggs as soon as I get home. They are on a perfect rock, and eventually the driftwood will sink. When it does they may spawn on it, and I won't be able to do this as easily. By all acounts, they will continue to spawn regularly, they can try with the next batch.

Next question, @Fish Folk what was your first feed? I have first bites, and baby brine, and I can find a bit of mulmy filter media that likely has infusoria cultured on it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Brandy said:

what was your first feed? I have first bites, and baby brine, and I can find a bit of mulmy filter media that likely has infusoria cultured on it.

You’re going to be brilliant! I think we maybe started with vinegar eels, but moved along to bbs ASAP. We drop just a couple bbs in to test and see if they’re big enough to hit them. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Brandy said:

Will do. I have vinegar eels too! I should check on that culture actually.

It usually lasts a long time. We always put a pinch of baking soda into the water to cross out the acid when we feed vinegar eels. Maybe you’ve got the whole wine bottle thing sorted out, but for us, we draw off 10 ml of v-eel culture from surface edge, the spray that into a tea cup of tank water plus a pinch of sodium bicarbonate. Mix... wait a minute.. ready! 

• Thanks 1

They figured out where I put the eggs in about 10 minutes. They are wicked smart.

They transferred their aggression to the plants nearest the box, covered all the remaining rocks with mouthfuls of sand, and then took up posts outside the box and started guarding it. They are amazing parents.

• Like 7

The fry have moved off the rock, and are against the front of the box. She (still not actually sure which is which, genders may be reversed) is fish-pacing, trying to figure out a way in, while the dad digs a nest and obsessively gaurds it, waiting for her to move them. I am glad I pulled these but I am looking forward to letting them raise a batch on their own.

PXL_20210127_170654308_MP.jpg.84172c1439eecb8b41961e8ca337eb21.jpg

• Like 5

I really thought about getting Electric Blue Acaras because of this topic. But I want to buy 12 Pinoy Paraiba Angelfish and let them pair off, and them let them breed and raise the fry themselves. Not many people do it but I want to watch them raise there fry. I've been caught up in the breeding for profit I forgot how beautiful nature was and just watching fish do their thing.

• Like 1

Well. lesson learned. they need more food than I seem to be getting into them. The attrition rate has been BRUTAL. 😭 There were so many, but I am down to about 20-30. Admittedly I had no way to raise 100+, but this is still sad.

• Sad 3