UV to get rid of green water in 10g

It will work in any orientation. It’s just a uv-bulb attached to a power head. As long as the pump functions, it doesn’t matter how it’s placed. You can even position the outflow above the waterline if you want. If you get one, don’t be alarmed by the “weak” pump. UV sterilizers need slower water flow to ensure that the UV is actually doing it’s job. If water flows too quickly over the light, it’s essentially useless. Kind of like how if you move your hand quick enough over a flame you won’t get burned but if you go slow you will get burned. In your tank, things need to travel through the UV chamber slow enough to be burned. Quite literally actually. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ryan W said:

It will work in any orientation. It’s just a uv-bulb attached to a power head. As long as the pump functions, it doesn’t matter how it’s placed. You can even position the outflow above the waterline if you want. If you get one, don’t be alarmed by the “weak” pump. UV sterilizers need slower water flow to ensure that the UV is actually doing it’s job. If water flows too quickly over the light, it’s essentially useless. Kind of like how if you move your hand quick enough over a flame you won’t get burned but if you go slow you will get burned. In your tank, things need to travel through the UV chamber slow enough to be burned. Quite literally actually. 

Thank you! I will have to go get one today then. 

The problem with a uv sterilizer with green water is that the green water will come back if you don't adress the issue. Ask yourself why do I have green water? Is it because of too much light? or too much nutrients because your overfeeding? etc. If its too much nutrients I would add more plants to asborb the nutrients that the algae is consuming. If its too much light, block out all light out for a week and then decrease your lighting schedule. 

If you still wish to get a UV Sterilizer you have some good suggestions above

Here are some video that I found helpful when I dealed with green water:

• Like 1

Edit:  This is a uv sterilizer that you can clip on to your hang on back.  I use this for my 10g when I need too.  The product name is AA Aquarium Clip-on Uv Sterilizer 3W Green Killing Machine  however, it appears not to be on Amazon at this time.

Edit:  I did find it on a popular pet website, so if you search in google for it you should find it fairly easy.  

Edited by Ben_RF
a
  • Like 1

I used the mini GKM on my 5 gallon portrait at work not that long ago. After an over feeding/way too much light situation over vacation, I came back to a glowing green cloudy tank.

20201210_195513.jpg.72d8770683796fde05bc36a63793d0e4.jpg

20201202_131044.jpg.62354051476593b609e420c7cffd05c7.jpg

The mini 3W green Killing machine was a bit bulky in the 5 gallon, but it was all I had so I stuffed it in there and turned the flow all the way down. It started clearing up within days.

20201211_070119.jpg.3ee8e3b2faa6efd5ae583b5cb17e74a1.jpg

I don't know if you have access to the mini version, but I'm sure it's powerful enough for a 10 gallon and would fit nicely. I can't remember exactly how many days I ran it, but it wasn't very long.

20210125_084647.jpg.a96741ac771ae87928f1cce395ec72e7.jpg

Edited by Lynze
  • Like 1

I have a small uv sterilizer from Amazon. (COODIA Internal Green Water Killer Filter Aquarium Tank U-V Light Pump)

With no or low substrate I was able to place it vertically in a 10gal, but I suspect you could angle it also. My only concern is that the flow rate was quite high for 10gal It worked well for the algae, but I had to work out a way to diffuse the flow or trash the scape a little. Guppies and shrimp tolerated it, short term.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 7:12 AM, James Black said:

The problem with a uv sterilizer with green water is that the green water will come back if you don't adress the issue. Ask yourself why do I have green water? Is it because of too much light? or too much nutrients because your overfeeding? etc. If its too much nutrients I would add more plants to asborb the nutrients that the algae is consuming. If its too much light, block out all light out for a week and then decrease your lighting schedule. 

If you still wish to get a UV Sterilizer you have some good suggestions above

Here are some video that I found helpful when I dealed with green water:

Thank you! The green water was the result of too much light and not dosing enough fertilizer. I have reduced the light and I'm testing regularly to figure out a proper fertilizer schedule. I ended up purchasing a UV sterilizer to get rid of the green water short term while I figure out the balance of the tank so it doesn't come back.

• Like 2