Best Food for Cherry Shrimp?

Jennifer V

I finally added life to my 10g today in the form of 5 cherry shrimp and a Nerite snail - yay! 

What is the best thing to feed them in your experience? I have a lot of brown algae, some plant decay, nano banquet blocks and my LFS highly recommended Shrimp King Color for them every few days, so I got that as well. 

• Like 1

I just got my first shrimp today too.  One guy I talked to said bacter ae is really good.  Seems expensive at 16$ for 35grams though.  For that price I feel like I should be buying it from a shady guy in a back alley.

Anyway, I'm curious to see what others say.

Edited by CT_
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CT_ said:

I just got my first shrimp today too.  One guy I talked to said bacter ae is really good.  Seems expensive at 16$ for 35grams though.  For that price I feel like I should be buying it from a shady guy in a back alley.

I use Bacter AE for my shrimp and it seems to be working well. Shrimp all seem healthy and active. That's my only barometer, since I don't actually see them eating the powder. I do agree that the cost is super high, but you use so little at a time that it should last a long time.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Any sort of tropical fish food, especially a pelleted kind will work as they really don't need a special 'shrimp' food. 

I agree with this as well. If the shrimp are being housed with fish I would just overfeed the fish food slightly so the shrimp can scavenge. If they are being kept alone I don't mind splurging a little and getting a food made just for shrimp. I like invertebrates just as much as the fish.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OceanTruth said:

like invertebrates just as much as the fish.

I think I'll end up getting the same way. I only have five, so they're hard to find in my tank, but when I do it's pretty cool. 

So what I'm hearing is I probably have what I need which is great! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KBOzzie59 said:

Also a good way to remove excess snails, attach a string to the carrot, let snails climb aboard then slowly lift and remove snails (cucumber and zucchini also work). 

That's so smart! I'll try that when my bladder snails get out of hand. What do you do with the excess snails? 

1 hour ago, Jennifer V said:

Do the leaves affect the tank water in any way? 

It will darken the water for a while until all the tannins leach out. Those tannins are supposed to be beneficial to the animal life in the tank however. It could lower your pH as well depending on your water parameters. I have hard, alkaline water and when I add botanicals it doesn't move my pH from 7.8 at all. Maybe if I went overboard with it, it might though.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, CT_ said:

I heard that since bacter ae coats surfaces the shrimp come out and forrage more.   Has that also been anyone else's experience?

I bought 4 neo shrimp, one of which was berried. I've been using Bacter AE almost the entire time. I certainly noticed they like to come out soon after feeding Bacter AE. I don't know if it's the food, them getting more comfortable, or the fact that I now have 15 shrimp (it's only been a month or so), but they definitely come out a lot and I can see 10+ at any given time.

6 minutes ago, Socqua said:

I bought 4 neo shrimp, one of which was berried. I've been using Bacter AE almost the entire time. I certainly noticed they like to come out soon after feeding Bacter AE. I don't know if it's the food, them getting more comfortable, or the fact that I now have 15 shrimp (it's only been a month or so), but they definitely come out a lot and I can see 10+ at any given time.

That's exciting! I only have a few right now and can't find half of them in my tank so looking forward to bringing them out. What exactly is Bacter AE? 

2 hours ago, Jennifer V said:

That's exciting! I only have a few right now and can't find half of them in my tank so looking forward to bringing them out. What exactly is Bacter AE? 

From what I can read on the label it's sporulated bacteria (the names of the two they include are suspiciously similar to the yogurt bacteria) along with a few different forms of sugar and a few different peptides/proteins/amino acids.  along with the sugars, and proteins  are some enzymes that break the sugars and proteins down into smaller pieces that make it available to the bacteria.  I presume that slows the release of the nutrients to try and prevent a big bacterial bloom of what ever is already in your tank.  Aside from the facts on the label this is my educated speculation.

From what I've read on the internet, if you use too much you do get bacterial blooms and they can suck all the oxygen from your water so you have to feed sparingly (and a fraction of what the label says).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jennifer V said:

@CT_ oh wow. Ok then I think this newbie is going to stick to other kinds of food until I know what I'm doing. That's a whole lot of complication I don't think I should get into right off the bat. Thank you so much for the info! 

That's probably best.  I've been raising shrimp very successfully for almost a year without using it.  I feed mine a couple kinds of commercial shrimp food, but they'll eat fish food just as readily.

• Thanks 1

On 1/20/2021 at 11:47 AM, Jennifer V said:

Do the leaves affect the tank water in any way? 

Not unless you put a bunch of leaves in. My shrimp tanks are all 10 gallons, I only put one or two leaves at a time, depending on how many shrimp are in the tank. The catappa leaves give the water a slight tint, but I havent seen any tint from the mulberry or guava leaves.

• Thanks 1