Fertilizer recommendation that is not heavy in Nitrogen?

Bill Smith

Hi all:

I use Easy Green heavily on all my tanks, and I'm very happy with it. However, I tend to overstock most of my tanks. So sometimes, rather than do an extra water change mid-week, I'd like to fertilize my plants heavily with everything EXCEPT nitrogen, especially phosphates and potassium.

I know that Easy Green is heavy in nitrogen, and I could just do a water change to reset it and dose with Easy Green, but sometimes I'd rather just let the plants use the nitrogen that's in there and supplement with all the other nutrients.

I have been using Seachem Flourish as this alternative, but I don't really think it's doing anything. It's too watered down.

Do any of you plant experts have a recommendation for a plant nutrient supplement that is heavy in everything BUT nitrogen? For water column feeders, I'm stocking anubias, crypts, java fern, water sprite, red ludwigia, baby tears, nothing too advanced, and no CO2.

Thanks!

Edited by Bill Smith

You could mix up a custom blend of dry ferts in water and dose that. You would just have to do the math to figure out the proper concentration. Lately I have been easing back on Nitrogen myself because I am feeding less and was getting more algae than usual. I dose NPK in a dry form. I get my dry ferts from Green Leaf Aquariums.

I know it is expensive, but a friend gave me a bunch of ADA Green Brighty Mineral and Brighty K, which I think have no nitrogen. It recommends daily dosing which I loved and hated. On the one hand, I didn't have to think, I just dosed every morning. On the other hand, to do that it must be very dilute and you go through a lot. I wouldn't want to pay for it with as many tanks as I have now.

• Administrators

Do you have a picture of the tanks? Different plants have different nutrient requirements so you may be able to solve it by switching some plants. Also Seachem makes just potassium and phosphate. Have you tested for these? As something like flake food would be high in phosphate if you are feeding that. 

3 hours ago, Bill Smith said:

Hi all:

I use Easy Green heavily on all my tanks, and I'm very happy with it. However, I tend to overstock most of my tanks. So sometimes, rather than do an extra water change mid-week, I'd like to fertilize my plants heavily with everything EXCEPT nitrogen, especially phosphates and potassium.

I know that Easy Green is heavy in nitrogen, and I could just do a water change to reset it and dose with Easy Green, but sometimes I'd rather just let the plants use the nitrogen that's in there and supplement with all the other nutrients.

I have been using Seachem Flourish as this alternative, but I don't really think it's doing anything. It's too watered down.

Do any of you plant experts have a recommendation for a plant nutrient supplement that is heavy in everything BUT nitrogen? For water column feeders, I'm stocking anubias, crypts, java fern, water sprite, red ludwigia, baby tears, nothing too advanced, and no CO2.

Thanks!

My fert regimen has been working very well, and I am the same as you -- all of my tanks are heavily stocked and do a great job of making their own nitrates. For those tanks, I dose potassium on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and I dose trace minerals on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I do water changes every weekend. In some of the tanks with red plants, I also dose Iron on the trace mineral days.  In my betta tank and quarantine tank that houses plants, I just use easy green and trace.

I was using seachem potassium and trace, but recently switched to Brightwell brand. Higher concentration, similar price. Seachem sure does sell a lot of water.

Eventually I'm going to get into the dry-fert mixing to save money (dosing 7 tanks is costly). If the co-op sold a nitrogen-free easy green, I'd be all over that just for the convenience.

Also of note, I had intended to dose phosphate alongside the potassium, but I got a test kit and realized my phosphate levels were almost 2ppm out of the tap.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cory said:

Do you have a picture of the tanks? Different plants have different nutrient requirements so you may be able to solve it by switching some plants. Also Seachem makes just potassium and phosphate. Have you tested for these? As something like flake food would be high in phosphate if you are feeding that. 

The tanks vary wildly, so I was hoping for more of an occasional go-to. But now that I think about it, it's a crutch for being lazy, and I should beware. 🙂

Thanks for the flake food and switching plants recommendations!