Corydoras

walker

29 minutes ago, walker said:

Ok of course pet smart thought it would be ok.  Ill have to look for other.   I wanted algae eater for small tank.

I'm not sure any corydoras are great algae eaters. You have a nerite which is awesome. How about some amano shrimp? People seem to have overall good success with keeping them with bettas.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, walker said:

I'm a little sad I just bought the cutest little peppered corydoras for my 5 gallon tank and now I read there should be 3.  Is thAt a problem for a 5 gallon tank?  With  nerite snAil and betta?

It isn't a problem. Don't worry, enjoy your Corydoras.

• Like 7

I think the biggest thing is that corys can be reclusive when alone. I went down the same path you did. Initially just got one, and (s)he was fine, but now I have 4 in a 20g and they are much more active and demonstrate their wiggly-ness far more often. 5G is kinda small for a pack of corys, but maybe consider getting him a buddy?

23 hours ago, walker said:

Ok of course pet smart thought it would be ok.  Ill have to look for other.   I wanted algae eater for small tank.

corydoras aren't good algae eaters. They will scavange for left over food though. If your looking for a good algae eater I would do a few nirite snails.

• Like 1

In my experience, Corydoras paleatus (Peppered cory) get pretty big. Although I always advocate for a large school of cories, I personally have kept (and still have them) a pair of peppered cories in my 29 gallon community (used to be in my 10 gallon). They have now bred and have a bunch of little babies to school with. I would recommend to just get one as a buddy, or else they'll be pretty lonely and shy. Despite a couple in a 5 gallon being fine for a little while, (especially if you have females and not males) I would definitely consider upgrading to a 10 gallon or larger and get a school of them. They are great in a school and very social!

Also, as algae eaters, I personally have never seem them eat any. I would go for nerite snails (for glass or flat surfaces) or Amano shrimp (better for some hair-like algaes).

(Below you can see the size difference between my female peppered cory and a pygmy cory and female bristlenose pleco in the first picture. In the second you can see the male is much smaller than the female.)

20201225_094156.jpg.81f8a95c16c002a08f243fadb5ea6e39.jpg

20201227_212735.jpg.071f0cdffe33c844670189e8ddb4a553.jpg

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the pic.  Wow I sure hope it’s a male, I’ve named him Michael and have become attached so I can’t get rid of him/her.  By the way I love the gravel in your tank what are you using and is it good for live plants.  I’m having so much trouble with rinsing the brown fluorite.  I’m still vacuuming up dust.  It was a mess.  He’s actually social with me I just have one snail with him right now.  Would like to have at least two of the corydoras.  Waiting for bigger tank.  

10 hours ago, walker said:

Thank you for the pic.  Wow I sure hope it’s a male, I’ve named him Michael and have become attached so I can’t get rid of him/her.  By the way I love the gravel in your tank what are you using and is it good for live plants.  I’m having so much trouble with rinsing the brown fluorite.  I’m still vacuuming up dust.  It was a mess.  He’s actually social with me I just have one snail with him right now.  Would like to have at least two of the corydoras.  Waiting for bigger tank.  

- I am using pool filter sand as my substrate. It is pretty cheap, but really messy if you don't rinse it very well (I did a simple wash and my tank was so cloudy when I put it in, so I would recommend running a hose through a bucket of this sand for at least 10 minutes to make sure the sand isn't messy and make the water cloudy when you put it in). All types of Corydoras love the sand because they can sift through it with their barbels. It is entertaining to watch too.

20201216_204851.jpg.6abe201e5cc5afa4c3d792100e187f5a.jpg

20201217_180158.jpg.1ffb33a9ed24653de6012fd05ea3a2ad.jpg

- Okay about whether it's good for plants or not. While, I just started growing live plants in this tank about a month ago. I'm not sure if they grow well in the long run, but they seem to be doing well so far. My Java fern that I have had for about six months has grown from a tiny leaflet to a huge plant in this substrate (I didn't know it was a Java fern so I planted the tiny leaf into the substrate and it just grew). My Vallisneria have grown runners and are growing taller, my hairgrass is getting fuller, my Crytocoryne wendtii is bigger, and my Dwarf Aquarium Lily has grown a lot. The only one not going well is my Amazon sword. It melted right when I put it into my tank (it was grown at my Local Fish Store), and whenever it grows new leaflets, they always melt after a few weeks, so I don't think the swordplant is good with the sand.

Hope this helps. I'm looking foreward to see how your aquarium turns out!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CorydorasEthan said:

- I am using pool filter sand as my substrate. It is pretty cheap, but really messy if you don't rinse it very well (I did a simple wash and my tank was so cloudy when I put it in, so I would recommend running a hose through a bucket of this sand for at least 10 minutes to make sure the sand isn't messy and make the water cloudy when you put it in). All types of Corydoras love the sand because they can sift through it with their barbels. It is entertaining to watch too.

20201216_204851.jpg.6abe201e5cc5afa4c3d792100e187f5a.jpg

20201217_180158.jpg.1ffb33a9ed24653de6012fd05ea3a2ad.jpg

- Okay about whether it's good for plants or not. While, I just started growing live plants in this tank about a month ago. I'm not sure if they grow well in the long run, but they seem to be doing well so far. My Java fern that I have had for about six months has grown from a tiny leaflet to a huge plant in this substrate (I didn't know it was a Java fern so I planted the tiny leaf into the substrate and it just grew). My Vallisneria have grown runners and are growing taller, my hairgrass is getting fuller, my Crytocoryne wendtii is bigger, and my Dwarf Aquarium Lily has grown a lot. The only one not going well is my Amazon sword. It melted right when I put it into my tank (it was grown at my Local Fish Store), and whenever it grows new leaflets, they always melt after a few weeks, so I don't think the swordplant is good with the sand.

Hope this helps. I'm looking foreward to see how your aquarium turns out!

I'm surprised to hear that your pool filter needed that much cleaning.  I've used two different brands and never washed them at all.  One didn't cloud the water at all and the other one clouds it very little, and it clears up soon.

I have a wide variety of plants thriving in PFS.