TomO

I have a 29 gallon, heavily planted. Stocked with 9 variatus platties, 5 swordtails, 3 guppies, 2 dwarf corys, a dojo loach and 3 amano shrimp. My water chemistry is good with weekly water changes.

Am i dancing with the devil having so many fish?

This is a pic before I added 6 platties.

BD1DD89F-769F-45E2-8EAE-08E1DBD59EF7.jpeg

• Like 3

I think you will be fine as long as you don't over clean your tank and filter.

My 29g tank has at least 50% more fish than that and no issues so far. I just need to do regular vacuuming/water changes for all the waste.

My live bearers are starting to multiply so I will have to keep an eye on that. The swordtail babies seem to all survive.

As everyone else pointed out, the fish load will increase as they start to breed. However, you can also increase your plant load to help take up the increased fish waste/load.

I see that you have some really healthy looking stem plants in your tank, I recommend that you trim them at half their current height/maybe even more and replant those trimmings into the tank. After a while, you'll have fuller and lush areas with stem plants that can help with the excessive nutrients. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just be aware that your dojo could eventually get up to a foot long. Some stop around six inches, but most get considerably bigger. Usually a 40 breeder or 55 is the minimum recommended size for one. Although they are social and do like they're  own  kind, you just haven't got room in there for another one. 

I think it's all a question of being able to keep up with maintenance. Once their population explodes, can you keep the nitrates down, and how much water/how often needs to be changed? As long as you can keep the water quality up, then it's not a problem having a lot of fish in a tank. Checking the water params often will give you a good feel of how things are going. Adding lots of fast growing plants will help keep things steady.