It Really *Does* Get Cold in Florida

Alesha

My app said 39* this morning, but we always run a little colder than the app.

Doug checked the thermometer outside the backdoor & it said 36*!

The guppies out on the front porch were happy to be fed & huddling around the heater & in the rays of sunlight hitting the tanks.

If we get any colder than that this winter, we'll keep a light on over night and cover them with something to hold in the heat. Doug said the thermometer said 60* in the 40 gallon tub today.

It should warm up quickly though. Our high is supposed to be around 61*.

• Like 1

Lol. I am a Michigander and proud of it! Don’t worry,Florida is actually my second favorite state! I am not too surprised those Florida nights dip to almost freezing though! Right now we are having unusually warm weather for December. It’s a balmy 37 degrees up here! Not even a snowflake yet. I can only keep my goldfish outdoors all year. I keep them in a 400 gallon tub thingy I buried. I want to dive deeper in summer tubbing next year though!

• Like 2

Alabama here. I have my quarantine bin in a part of the house that is colder, a spare room off of a badly insulated enclosed area. The other day it got down to the 50s outside, and I was having a hard time keeping the temp up in the water. Currently, its housing a little baby senegal bichir, and they like it toasty (80s), but the water was only 76 (the baby was not happy, acting sluggish)! I ran out and bought a stronger heater, and put the plastic lid on the bin, covering it with a towel to help insulate. 

Thankfully, this worked, and the little baby stayed warm and cozy through our recent storm where it got down to the 40s outside. Whew!

• Like 2

@Andy's Fish Den, I'm south of Orlando, by a little bit. 😉  And yep, we do get frost here. It seems to go in cycles. Some years it will be cold for a couple of weeks (by cold, I mean not getting out of the 60s and in the 30s at night), and other years, it will only get that cold once or twice before spring. I'm sure it would be trackable...and I'm sure somebody's got that cycle out there on the interwebz, lol! We just never know...and dress in layers. The last one being our summer t-shirt! 🙂 

@teenage fish - I'm sure your summer tubbing season will be awesome! And you don't have to worry about frying the fish in 100* weather like we do here. 😉 

@H.K.Luterman - thankfully, guppies are resilient! I've not been a fishkeeper long enough to care for the high-maintenance fish yet!

@James Black - Brrrrrr....I canNOT EVEN imagine that kind of cold!!!!! The farthest north I've ever lived was Virgina.

@s1_ - good job! This cold spell kinda caught us off-guard. But with the little heaters in the tanks, they did really well. We'll keep an eye on them to make sure they continue to do well.  And our plants...we didn't do anything for them. But if they'd called for frost or below freezing, we would've had a LOT to do last night. Can't let my blueberry plants freeze! This is the year they're supposed to have fruit!!!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, teenage fish said:

Nice James Black. It usually gets about that cold here, too. Do you keep outdoor ponds during the winters.

pff, i wish! I want to get a koi pond for the summer, only problem is where to keep them in the winter. I don't have enough space for a pool pond inside.

Lol I know 36 is "cold" for most however I'm from Minnesota that is t- shirt weather while ice fishing. It gets bad when we have 4 feet of ice on the lakes and it's -30 most days. That being said I am working on keeping fish outside for summer tubing and in July and August it will hit high 90s pretty often. That also has its challenges when keeping fish outside

• Like 2