How to dispose of old aquarium?

I have a 30 year 55 gallon (complete with wood grain trim) that finally blew out. The seems dried up and let about 25% of the water out. Luckily it was in the fish room and I have cement floor and a drain. Here's my question: How do I get rid of the thing? 

I have a truck, but I honestly have no idea where to take a 55 gallon aquarium. Does anyone know?

On 7/13/2024 at 2:31 PM, donnots said:

I have a 30 year 55 gallon (complete with wood grain trim) that finally blew out. The seems dried up and let about 25% of the water out. Luckily it was in the fish room and I have cement floor and a drain. Here's my question: How do I get rid of the thing? 

I have a truck, but I honestly have no idea where to take a 55 gallon aquarium. Does anyone know?

Contact your waste management service in your area. I know in my area they will pickup aquariums. @donnots

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/13/2024 at 2:31 PM, donnots said:

I have a truck, but I honestly have no idea where to take a 55 gallon aquarium

theoretically you should have a recycling center somewhere near you. We're rural, so they have a couple of covered trailers set up for glass, electronics and such set up in a small town near us. bigger towns should have better options

Edited by Tony s
  • Like 2

I'm in a rural area. About 1 hour from a city. People usually burn garbage here and dump over the side of the road. I am trying to avoid that. We don' have a recycling center, but I will look around. I didn't know that kind of place would take a glass tank. Thanks!

• Like 2

On 7/13/2024 at 12:31 PM, donnots said:

There is something to be said for the thereputic value of getting a  roll off dumpster and employing a sledgehammer to break down broken glass further. Im sure the trash truck would take a glass tank if asked in most areas

• Haha 4

On 7/13/2024 at 8:52 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Same thoughts, I guarantee someone would get it, trust me. 

Yes but then you would have to deal with the weirdos on that website, and let them onto your property. At least around here that pulls in some real strange characters. 

I like the greenhouse idea. 

My refuse company says they cannot collect a tank that big. 

• Like 2

That's weird.  A 55 gallon tank isn't even that big... I imagine the person you talked to didn't actually know what you were talking about and used the power of their imagination. 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2024 at 11:34 AM, donnots said:

Yes but then you would have to deal with the weirdos on that website, and let them onto your property. At least around here that pulls in some real strange characters. 

I like the greenhouse idea. 

My refuse company says they cannot collect a tank that big. 

Yeah that is a good point. Where I live, same thing actually. 

On 7/16/2024 at 12:04 PM, daggaz said:

That's weird.  A 55 gallon tank isn't even that big... I imagine the person you talked to didn't actually know what you were talking about and used the power of their imagination. 

Yeah that is very weird. Maybe they just didn’t want to deal with it. We don’t know though. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2024 at 12:04 PM, daggaz said:

You mean it's weird that they wont take it? They don't take anything that doesn't fit into a standard kitchen tall trash bag. Not even cardboard boxes. Nothing I can do about it. The borough selects the trash company, and they set the rules. 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2024 at 12:26 AM, Sacah said:

use a hammer to persuade the tank to fit into a standard trash bag?

This is what I did when a tank of mine cracked in an irreparable way

• Like 2

On 7/29/2024 at 3:30 AM, JE47 said:

This is what I did when a tank of mine cracked in an irreparable way

I considered it. How much of a mess did you end up with? Did it shatter? Thanks!

I put the tank in the garbage can and then proceeded to smash in the can helped keep the glass from flying everywhere. It does shatter if you are going to do this be careful! 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2024 at 9:22 PM, JE47 said:

I put the tank in the garbage can and then proceeded to smash in the can helped keep the glass from flying everywhere

But very therapeutic 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/29/2024 at 5:18 PM, donnots said:

considered it. How much of a mess did you end up with? Did it shatter? Thanks!

You could wrap it in an old sheet or blanket before you smash it. Then just put the whole lot into big heavy duty trash bag.🤷‍♀️

• Like 2