What are the easiest aquarium plants to propagate

I am looking for some aquarium plants that are easy to propagate for profit.

Currently thinking about

Pearlweed

Amazon Frogbit

A rotala species most likely Rotala Rotundifolia 'Red'

Ludwigia sp. "Super Red Mini"

scarlet temple mini

I am  looking for mostly stem plants that aren't fluffy or feathery ex. wisiteria and water sprite as I am trying to breed CPDS using a catch cup.

Floating plants are the easiest and fastest for me, and Rotala rotundifolia for stems, but you've already mentioned those.

Of stems you haven’t mentioned, I'd say Pogostemon stellatus "octopus", guppy grass, and anacharis (Elodea densa) probably have the best reputation for fast growth, though guppy grass might be too fluffy/feathery for what you're looking for. Maybe Hygrophila polysperma? I was having some pretty good results from Bacopa caroliniana for a while.

It's not a stem but a lot of mosses can grow quickly and easily, and could be profitable.

@KoiAngels, are you intending to just make a little extra cash out of a tank that would be running anyway? The reason I ask is because if it will be a dedicated plant "farm" than you can either inject CO2 at levels that would be unsafe for fish (I think...), if you want to sell submersed-grown plants, or probably cheaper and easier would be growing them emersed, maybe in a tank or tub with clear plastic wrap. They'd grow faster with atmospheric CO2 with no risk of algae.

yes, It is a running tank with CPDs and Habrosus corydoras

So the plants that were suggested were

Rotala Rotundifolia 'Red'

bacopa carolinia 

java fern.

Also does anyone have experience with alternanthera reineckii or alternanthera reineckii mini

Limnophila sessiliflora is attractive, easy to propagate, and grows like an absolute weed.  Other than the frogbit, it's easily the fastest growing plant in my tank and needs pruning at least once a week.  

On 6/27/2024 at 5:53 AM, Beach Cruiser said:

Fastest? Red Root Floaters...i toss handfuls every week because I can't give it away fast enough

Rotala/hygrophilia are probably my fastest stems. Also Bacopa. 

These are all super cheap online, so i imagine the profit margin is pretty slim. 

Frogbit does the same for me.  Red root floaters, on the other hand, die a horrible screaming death.

On 6/27/2024 at 8:46 AM, lefty o said:

liquid carbons are an algaecide, they are not the same as CO2 injection. not even remotely.

I started to write a complaint about deceptive marketing about so-called "liquid carbon" that's actually just gluteraldehyde, but I have never used Excel, and I couldn't actually find the word "gluteraldehyde" on the product description, so I wasn't sure. So thanks for confirming what I couldn't.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2024 at 8:40 AM, JettsPapa said:

Frogbit does the same for me.  Red root floaters, on the other hand, die a horrible screaming death.

R.I.P. rrf ~ 😆

Funny how some plants grow like crazy for one person & fall flat for another. Mine are thriving in a fast rotation surface current which they supposedly hate. 

On the other hand, the ever prolific water wisteria sits there in a green lump for months with no growth. Right beside Bacopa & Rotala doing just fine...

Edited by Beach Cruiser
  • Like 2

On 6/27/2024 at 12:53 PM, Beach Cruiser said:

Rotala/hygrophilia are probably my fastest stems. Also Bacopa. 

I can't seem to grow bacopa very well in my tank.  The entire plant just melts.  I wonder if its the hard water (KH 16), but it's a shame as it smells so wonderful.  

On 6/26/2024 at 11:14 AM, KoiAngels said:

I am looking for some aquarium plants that are easy to propagate for profit.

Currently thinking about

Pearlweed

Amazon Frogbit

A rotala species most likely Rotala Rotundifolia 'Red'

Ludwigia sp. "Super Red Mini"

scarlet temple mini

I am  looking for mostly stem plants that aren't fluffy or feathery ex. wisiteria and water sprite as I am trying to breed CPDS using a catch cup.

Easy to grow stems Anacris is easy peasy, frogbit, red root floaters, rotala, ludwigia

All easy plants and fast growing.

• Like 1