PSA! The only time I’ve been misguided by Seriously Fish

Pleco

My gorgeous goldeneye cichlid (nannacara anomala) pictured below was added to my 55g community tank after being rescued from the depths of my neglected quarantine tank. I had long assumed all of the fish within had died, which is why I waited months until I decided to tear it down. Lo and behold, as I was scooping dead plant gunk from the 2 inch tall, mulm infested water, my cichlid comes flopping out with it. I felt awful for my poor guy and also felt grateful now that | could give him the life he deserved: a large, planted, community paradise. I fell in love with his gorgeous color, confidence, and his ability to bounce back after months of awful conditions. When I had bought him I read through the seriously fish article about them thoroughly, and thought I was introducing a peaceful, hardy, colorful community fish to my tank. I've always seen Seriously Fish as the best, most informational and objective source in terms of fish research, and it's never led me wrong. Since l've added him, he has killed a group of 12 albino glowlight tetras I tried to add, ripped and nipped at the fins of all of my fish, chases and bullies every fish in the tank, hogs and steals food by chasing other fish away, and has become increasingly territorial over the entirety of the 4 ft tank. I was so grateful he survived the suffering I unintentionally put him through and felt I would redeem myself by finally giving him the life he deserved, but I feel incredibly guilty about the fact that rehoming is most likely the best option. None of my other fish will be able to thrive being bullied and harassed constantly, and adding more dither fish seems to increase aggression instead of disperse it. I am beyond disappointed in myself for not checking other sources but shocked at seriously fish for saying the opposite of what this fish is like. I understand each fish are individuals, but several other sources l've seen since then have mentioned them being aggressive menaces. I feel so guilty, I love him and he deserves better and so do my other fish, but part of me doesn't want to say goodbye to him. I know it's easy to say "it's just a fish" but it feels like l've failed him and it'll be so hard to give him up.

This is your friendly reminder to please always check other sources when researching new fish species, even if it's from one you trust completely.

TL;DR Please always check multiple different sources when doing fish research, even when it's a website you trust/ is usually reliable like seriously fish. I now feel very guilty about having to rehome my boy that has been through so much.

this is a copy of my Reddit post, their community is not as understanding and compassionate as I know you all are. Just looking for comfort and advice from people who have actually kept this fish, I’m now seeing so much conflicting information and want to know if they are naturally aggressive or not, and if this could be a result of trauma from the conditions he survived in previously.

IMG_0931.jpeg

• Sad 3

Sorry for that, I normally run the logic that big fish will eat smaller fish no matter the temperament, just a bit of advice.  

Now it's possible that the fish is exhibiting this behavior due to the near death experience it endured like a YouTuber talking about kulhi loaches in a tank of theirs.  I think it was KG Tropical.

• Thanks 1

When talking about an entire species of fish it's tough to say they will always act like xyz or whatever. Some individuals (especially cichlids) are just very aggressive regardless of species. A sample size of one fish isn't exactly definitive 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/14/2024 at 7:26 AM, doktor zhivago said:

When talking about an entire species of fish it's tough to say they will always act like xyz or whatever. Some individuals (especially cichlids) are just very aggressive regardless of species. A sample size of one fish isn't exactly definitive 

I agree with this. Especially cichlids which have quite a bit of social intelligence. The whole one size fits all does not work with cichlids.

Case in point in college I had a misfits tank of fish that needed to be rehomed. One of them was a male convict cichlid. These guys are the chihuahua of the fish world small but feisty. 

Mine though? More like a labrador. Kind, cuddly, curious. Never once chased or bullied even during feeding time. Really wanted to hang with my school of gold gouramis but that was an exclusive club so he settled for shenanigans with Bob the goldfish

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Pleco firstly welcome to the forum. Secondly, sorry to hear about what you've gone through. You are right though always with fish, check multiple sources. That's not even just about the fish themselves. This is also about tanks, and set ups and filtration, equipment, meds and etc because there is no one RIGHT answer. Every. Single. Situation. Is. Different. That's what makes this hobby so frustrating and so enjoyable at the same time. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Along with everyone’s great insight… it could be like other animals.  Dogs for example, neglected and lacking adequate food can become aggressive especially about food. 🤷‍♀️ hope it works out for you and your little trouper. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1