What's the most interesting behavior you've observed in your fish?

My pgymy cories comforting each other. Truly.

This happened recently. My mom was searching for a lid to a pan and in the process dropped one of our copper pots, and holy moly it was loud. I had been sitting by my aquarium and saw how one of my pygmy cories (he tends to be the loner) was laying on a rock away from the group. When my mom dropped this pot the noise clearly scared him really bad, and he rushed up and started swimming frantically. The other pygmy cories, who were resting together on a plant, came over to him and swarmed him, and then they all swam over to the plant and he followed. It was almost like they said "woah dude, it's okay, we're here. Come stay with us until you feel better." 

It was really amazing how they comforted him and calmed him down so quickly. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

It's so common it's not worth mentioning. But I love watching the amanos stealing food. They'll grab an algae wafer bigger than they are and take off. It's like we take bets whether they'll make it back to their lair before the fish take it back. 

And parasnailing. I love parasnailing 

• Like 4

I don't necessarily love this behavior, but it is very interesting.

I've noticed that when I keep 1 platy male with a few females, he will choose his favorite 1 or 2 and then just ignore the others, or chase them away.

• Like 2

The schooling behavior of my Tinfoil Barbs:

Parading in single file lines, ganging up on one end of the tank to stare at their reflections in the glass; and best of all, after the initial feeding frenzy, some or all of them will begin to graze on the leftovers like sheep in a field, with their bodies aligned vertically with tails pointing straight up and their mouths in the gravel. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/31/2024 at 8:48 AM, Beach Cruiser said:

The dominant Apisto male will boss around the other males to a degree, but he'll also go physically put himself between two subordinates who try & start a fight amongst themselves. Very big brotherish. 

I see similar behavior in my gold ocellatus. I have a 1M/2F tank, and if the two females get into it, the much larger male will dart over and get in their faces. Like "hey get back to your corners". 

I also love the way fish's appearance can change with behavior. Eg I have a few dwarf neon rainbows, and when the males are sparring/displaying, they get this golden colored line all along their back that you can't see any other time. 

Edited by TOtrees

Posted (edited)

A male guppy's mating dance.
The long-finned strains we most often keep can't do much more than vibrate and wiggle. ... But the short-finned males are far more vigorous.
They shimmy and shake and hop up and about ... and they do it without seemingly ever running out of energy.

At one point I was thinking it would be a cool experiment to try breeding a short-finned line just to groom the best dancing males. Just not enough tank space for it.

Edited by sumplkrum
  • Like 2

Chindongo saulosi hiding in yellow dress only to flash blue to the females because it is actually a sneaky male. The speed at which they change from blue back to yellow due to being the subdominant male is astonishing.

The most fascinating and beautiful behavior are rainbow fish sparring and flashing. If you know you know. 

• Like 2

Snail Stacks are cool, but out of my fish, it was funny watching a blood parrot (I don't have him anymore) fighting over an earthworm with my ropefish. The parrot would try to inch it down his throat, then the ropefish would come and rip it clear out of his mouth.

• Haha 2

Well, it’s not really anything interesting except to me.  😂  it’s the interaction to me and others.   When I had the little puffer he would always come up and follow my fingers and “talk” to me.  He was super cute and so much fun.    My betta I used to have, he loved to watch me or anyone in the office and would follow us.  He would “dance” and would get so happy to have some attention.   Now, I have a 5 month old baby betta who is adorable.   And from just one week of having him. He’s gone from backing away from me when I approach to now he recognizes me and wants to jump up for his treat or bits. I just love their personalities and how they can learn tricks and learn to love you.  ♥️

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 5/31/2024 at 7:12 PM, Rachel0825 said:

Well, it’s not really anything interesting except to me.  😂  it’s the interaction to me and others.   When I had the little puffer he would always come up and follow my fingers and “talk” to me.  He was super cute and so much fun.    My betta I used to have, he loved to watch me or anyone in the office and would follow us.  He would “dance” and would get so happy to have some attention.   Now, I have a 5 month old baby betta who is adorable.   And from just one week of having him. He’s gone from backing away from me when I approach to now he recognizes me and wants to jump up for his treat or bits. I just love their personalities and how they can learn tricks and learn to love you.  ♥️

Bettas are really very personable. Especially the little ones. Getting that bond is only possible with one you've raised from a little wriggler!

• Love 2

Oh I bet.   So far it’s great to see how far he’s come in a weeks time.    He’s very food motivated it seems.  And he’s starting to pick up on the routine.   He’s so smart and cute.   I love watched them and I can assume raising fry would be so amazing.   

First forum post alert! Since I’ve had my 30 gallon set up for all of 2 weeks with only a few “starter” harlequin rasboras, I do not have a lot to choose from. However, the rasboras, despite being half their adult size, almost immediately got into breeding behavior, which is pretty interesting. They invert themselves under a plant leaf (Ludwigia ovalis) and vibrate their bodies, and do this regularly throughout the day. IMG_1329.png.b6b60d17d7f7d94fca4921d34dcb6597.png

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/1/2024 at 6:55 AM, PGH Jeremy said:

First forum post alert! Since I’ve had my 30 gallon set up for all of 2 weeks with only a few “starter” harlequin rasboras, I do not have a lot to choose from. However, the rasboras, despite being half their adult size, almost immediately got into breeding behavior, which is pretty interesting. They invert themselves under a plant leaf (Ludwigia ovalis) and vibrate their bodies, and do this regularly throughout the day. IMG_1329.png.b6b60d17d7f7d94fca4921d34dcb6597.png

You MUST have soft water. I've never gotten my fat lazy rasboras to breed. They do loving hunting baby brine shrimps tho and they've learned to be more aggressive with the bigger platys so they can get some food too

Edited by doktor zhivago
Typo made me sound mean

I’ve got a female betta with a group of female guppies. I’ve noticed since I’ve added her she was shy at first. But after a couple weeks I catch her grouping up with the guppies. Even during feeding there’s no aggression on either side. 

• Like 1