What's your favorite "underrated" fish?

Posted (edited)

For me, it's Harlequin/Lambchop Rasboras. 

They color up so nicely as happy well fed adults in a stylish glowing magenta & black. Big enough to not get lost in a large tank (or get snacked on by reasonable tank mates) & fill in midwater well. They aren't fin nippers and you don't need a hundred to make an impact. Also seem a bit sturdier than neons & such.

Who's your aquatic crush of the moment? 

rasbora.jpg.a1c39739301860aebabd9d4ecffe6c3d.jpg

Edited by Beach Cruiser
  • Like 2
  • Love 4

Gotta be either black neons or giant danios. 

Black neons aren't the most colorful fish, but they're striking from afar in a decent size group. 

black-neon-tetra-wattley-discus-4-500x500.jpg.6a5c50be5da960e38cfa4bf7fd90c879.jpg

Giant Danios have some amazing color. They get huge and are super active but look amazing. 

DANIO-GIANT-Devario-aequipinnatus.jpg.2c0ff90bbf3ff5af6ee9fa9dcbee6d93.jpg

• Like 4

On 5/11/2024 at 8:33 AM, Beach Cruiser said:

For me, it's Harlequin/Lambchop Rasboras. 

They color up so nicely as happy well fed adults in a stylish glowing magenta & black. Big enough to not get lost in a large tank (or get snacked on by reasonable tank mates) & fill in midwater well. They aren't fin nippers and you don't need a hundred to make an impact. Also seem a bit sturdier than neons & such.

Who's your aquatic crush of the moment? 

rasbora.jpg.a1c39739301860aebabd9d4ecffe6c3d.jpg

I just got my first group of 6 of these guys and I'm loving them so far.  Never had any rasboras before.  Super easy going and beautiful fish.  I've only had them for 2 days now, but the orange is already starting to brighten!  They absolutely went nuts for frozen brine shrimp on day 2.  

• Like 5

Yeah, they really "pop" on a good diet. I rotate BS, blood worms & quality flake foods.  In a month or two they look like totally different fish! They get a Candy Apple red sparkle thing going on. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/11/2024 at 10:01 AM, Beach Cruiser said:

Yeah, they really "pop" on a good diet. I rotate BS, blood worms & quality flake foods.  In a month or two they look like totally different fish! They get a Candy Apple red sparkle thing going on. 👍

Good to know.  Right now I'm just on Xtreme community crave flakes and frozen brine shrimp.  I'll have to add some frozen blood worms to the mix.

On 5/11/2024 at 2:20 PM, Shrimpee said:

I’m gonna have to say Buenos Aries Tetras. You dont hear much of them anywhere.

They are pretty... have you been able to house them with plants? I tried once & they snacked on the shrubbery something fierce.  Had to rehome to a buddy with rock/wood scape.

On 5/11/2024 at 2:30 PM, Beach Cruiser said:

They are pretty... have you been able to house them with plants? I tried once & they snacked on the shrubbery something fierce.  Had to rehome to a buddy with rock/wood scape.

The black skirt tetra is underrated. Don't know too many aquarium hobbyist that keeps them. 

• Like 4

On 5/11/2024 at 2:30 PM, Beach Cruiser said:

Never. The only thing that they dont eat is java moss. I spent so much on plants just for them to be gone in a week🥲🥲🥲

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Not sure if underrated, but these fish are new to me since I got back into tropical tanks this past year.

Bolivian Ram and Sterbai Cory. My new favorite Cichlid and Cory Cat respectively.

Edited by Billipo
grammar
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

On 5/11/2024 at 6:01 PM, Billipo said:

Bolivian Ram ....My new favorite Cichlid

Love these! Almost went with them in my current set up but decided to try something i hadn't: Apistos. Liking the new guys, but BRs are awesome too! Lot of personality in a small, unfussy package.

• Like 1

I’d second giant danios. Super active and has personality all on its own. But also great dither fish for larger cichlid tanks, they stick to the top of the tank and are faster than most cichlids. 

• Like 1

I think they don't get enough love, so while I haven't kept them: splash tetras! Also, blackfinned pearl killifish and all sunfish species. These guys are pretty, small, and really awesome. I would love to keep them... one day. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/11/2024 at 10:02 PM, clownbaby said:

I think they don't get enough love, so while I haven't kept them: splash tetras! Also, blackfinned pearl killifish and all sunfish species. These guys are pretty, small, and really awesome. I would love to keep them... one day. 

I have splash tetras, and while they are cool they aren’t quite popular for a few reasons. I do enjoy them and I’m glad I found them though.

- most of the time they don’t show their breeding colors and behaviors

- they are nippy towards each other and sometimes other fish

They are an ideal tankmate for dwarf cichlids like apistogramma though. 

Edited by macdaddy36
  • Like 3

Panda Garras and Snakeskin Barbs.

Panda Garras are fun, colorful fish, that goof off, and help keep algae down

Garraguyfullbody.JPG.06ea674857acd27261ebf92d942dfa00.JPG

Snakeskin barbs (I dont have them but my friend does) are like a upgraded, peaceful version of a tiger barb.

Screenshot_2024-05-12_07-10-51.png.a212854611248fdf0564d1a27fe5977c.png

• Like 2

I have to say the Norman Lampeye Killi. They are low in price, small and easy to take care of and when well fed in a planted tank, a large school of them is quite appealing to the eye. 

• Like 1