Mesh bags?

I am going to buy activated charcoal and it’s a jar full of it, it doesn’t come with mesh bags. Can I just pour some of it into my filter or should I buy mesh bags for it? 

Is it in like pellets or is it a powder?  Either way, I'd think using a bag would make it easier to remove once it's not working anymore.  But especially if it's a powder, because then I'd worry about it gunking up the inside of the filter.  But you'd need a pretty fine mesh.

• Like 3

Depending on the size of your filter, they make refillable cartridges. Or more precisely, they make cartridges you can put stuff in. Unless you’re talking about a canister. Then you’ll need the bags 

A mesh bag is definitely preferable. You don't want the carbon banging around and breaking up into smaller pieces. Carbon dust has possibly been linked to hith so it's best to avoid that situation besides the nightmare clean up it will cause. I use serenity brand carbon thats fairly cheap and has a mesh bag in every box. 

• Like 2

Bag it.  In addition to the reasons mentioned above, you don't want to run the risk of pieces of charcoal  eventually getting into the impellers on your filter.

Just a thought:  If your charcoal is fairly coarse, grocery stores near me sell 4 or 5 garlic cloves in a mesh bag for $1.00.  The mesh will stretch to accommodate the amount of product you put in it.  

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=aquarium+filter+mesh+bags&s=relevanceblender&crid=2KAWLRTCOEJCG&qid=1714850120&sprefix=aquarium+filter+mesh+bags%2Caps%2C869&ref=sr_st_relevanceblender&ds=v1%3ADfCw28zEaPq592sWc8Gg%2BoiQQDq6q40NZjfVEqLftNA

In my HOB Seachem tidal 75 I even put my bio rings in them. But not in my canister Fluval 407 only because the baskets in the 407are easy to rinse with the rings in. Why are you using the charcoal? I only use it to remove meds if needed.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

The link is for the Amazon homepage, not for the product.

On 5/5/2024 at 1:05 AM, Airborne 82nd said:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=aquarium+filter+mesh+bags&s=relevanceblender&crid=2KAWLRTCOEJCG&qid=1714850120&sprefix=aquarium+filter+mesh+bags%2Caps%2C869&ref=sr_st_relevanceblender&ds=v1%3ADfCw28zEaPq592sWc8Gg%2BoiQQDq6q40NZjfVEqLftNA

In my HOB Seachem tidal 75 I even put my bio rings in them. But not in my canister Fluval 407 only because the baskets in the 407are easy to rinse with the rings in. Why are you using the charcoal? I only use it to remove meds if needed.

Edit: Can you recheck the link, please?

Edit 2 : Thanks for the link.

Edited by DavinCantu

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 5/3/2024 at 7:10 PM, NickD said:

I am going to buy activated charcoal and it’s a jar full of it, it doesn’t come with mesh bags. Can I just pour some of it into my filter or should I buy mesh bags for it? 

It'll be easier to control the media, get the fine mesh bags.

mesh begs without any metals is what I use. Either plastic zipper or just with a rope to tie on top.

Particle size of a.carbon may change so you should choose the bag accordingly