Ideas for 10 Gallon office aquarium

Ryan A

Hello everyone!

I recently set up an aquarium for our staff room. I want to stock it with something interesting that everyone can enjoy. I would like to hear any ideas or perhaps anything you have tried. Thanks in advance!  😄 

On 2/13/2024 at 10:47 PM, Ryan A said:

Hello everyone!

I recently set up an aquarium for our staff room. I want to stock it with something interesting that everyone can enjoy. I would like to hear any ideas or perhaps anything you have tried. Thanks in advance!  😄 

Hello Ryan! Is this your first aquarium?

How about 1 very colorful betta with 6-7 harlequin rasboras (have that combo) and a nerite snail. Or rummy nose rasboras instead of the harlequin. 

or a mix of kubotai rasboras and chili rasboras, wanting to try

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I would go for like @flossy said, low maintenance shrimp with maybe 5-10 I guess or a higher maintenance group of Rasboras, a betta fish is what I would recommend though overall,(that is if u haven’t decided) and a snail clean up crew. 

I have white cloud minnows and I love them, soooo easy, so much personality too!!! If u got them, just get at least 6. Can go to 15 but maybe too much maintenance for that!

• Like 2

Endlers and shrimp is my go-to 10 gallon tank idea! It is eye catching and youll get a kick out of the babies and everything. 

On 2/13/2024 at 10:45 PM, flossy said:

I would go with nano fish such as sparkling gourami or betta fish if you don't mind some maintanence. I would go for shrimp for little maintenance.

Definitely one sparkler though. I tried having several in a 10 gallon tank and they didn't get along, I switched them around and move them to try to find an amount and combination that works and just couldn't even in a pretty heavily decorated tank. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

for a different take. how about a cichlid tank. neolamprologus multifaciatis. the multis. sand substrate. no plants. easy colony to start. they multiply easily. but needs shells to live and reproduce in. 

Black sand white shell. should be striking

Edited by Tony s

A few options:

shrimps and 6 or 7 ember tetra

dario dario (require live food)

pair of a. pucallpaensis

-

shrimps and pangio sheffordi and 6 ember tetra.

-

All of the above would prefer fine substrate - this is my ugly 10; strongly recommend you stuff yours with plants if you like natural plant look.

nn1.jpg.70a228c842f20be38da7ddc204bfd1ef.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 2/14/2024 at 4:52 PM, Tony s said:

for a different take. how about a cichlid tank. neolamprologus multifaciatis. the multis. sand substrate. no plants. easy colony to start. they multiply easily. but needs shells to live and reproduce in. 

Black sand white shell. should be striking

Mine just barely got along and trhived in a 15 gallon tank, so id do this with some caution, but theyre still some of the best fish anyone could possibly keep. 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2024 at 4:56 PM, epicene said:

Will the space be conditioned after hours?

I don't believe so, I went ahead and got a reliable heater to make sure the tank doesn't drop too much.

• Like 1

That sounds delightful. I recently got Limia nigrofasciata.  A trio in a 10 gallon would be fun with shrimp and snails.  Very easy.  Livebearers so folks see babies without getting overwhelmed with babies. They are so personable they even come begging for food from my cat.  

I also just ordered some Nannostomus beckfordi pencilfish from Dans fish that are in stock. 6-8 in a 10 with shrimp and snails could be fun. 

heterandria formosa and neoheterandria elegans stay smaller and offer the same inquisitive personality and slow reproduction along with very low bioload to keep maintenance easy. 

https://dansfish.com/product.detail/3774/Red-Beckfordi-Pencilfish-(Nannostomus-beckfordi)

• Like 3

A betta would be cool - kind of like the office mascot. 

With live bearers maybe you can encourage others to get into the hobby and take home some juvies so your tank doesn't get over crowded. 

A striking tank could be black sand, lots of plants and ember tetras. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I’m always team Betta but if you’re looking for just a schooling fish, I think a school of CPDs is always a stunner. Just make sure to have a plant jungle because from what I’ve heard they can be pretty shy😂

Or Chili Rasboras! They’re one of my dream fish to own, someday, someday…

• Love 1