Ziss Brine Shrimp Hatchery

Jeff

Word on the street is, Santa is going to be bringing me this, this year.

With that said, I'd like to set it up in my storage area in my basement. I'm thinking on either set of these studs in the pics below. 

Anyone know how much this weighs with water in it? I'd like to put up a cross bar piece of wood, and hang it on that. I also want to get a bendable LED light, to clip on to the same said piece of wood, to angle at the bottom of the hatchery.

But, I'd need to know what size piece of wood I'd need to do it. OR, if you think something other than wood would be better....I'm open to that as well.

Anyone have an idea of what I'd need?

IMG_2507.JPG

IMG_2508.JPG

Edited by Jeff

I keep mine in my unheated garage and just use a heater with a thermostat.  I dialed it in to about 82 degrees and it sits in the whole on the top .  When I fill the water I let the heater sit in the water for about half an hour before I turn everything on.  So far I get shrimp in 24 hours every time.  I don’t think the brand of heater matters, just that you can adjust the temp.  

You are going to love this brine shrimp hatchery. I’m not exactly sure about the weight with water, but I can hold it with one hand. 3.5 lbs is my guess.

I built the stand from 1” PVC that Cory demonstrated in a YouTube video. The handle rests very snug at 1” So I would keep the wood you use to hang it on at 1”  The USB nano pump is perfect for this application. 

The heater I use is a submersible nano heater. Just make sure you rinse everything throughly after each hatch.

My fishies get a gourmet dinner every night, since I’ve had mine. 

Enjoy!

On 11/20/2020 at 2:31 AM, Dawn Dare said:

You are going to love this brine shrimp hatchery. I’m not exactly sure about the weight with water, but I can hold it with one hand. 3.5 lbs is my guess.

I built the stand from 1” PVC that Cory demonstrated in a YouTube video. The handle rests very snug at 1” So I would keep the wood you use to hang it on at 1”  The USB nano pump is perfect for this application. 

The heater I use is a submersible nano heater. Just make sure you rinse everything throughly after each hatch.

My fishies get a gourmet dinner every night, since I’ve had mine. 

Enjoy!

Care to share which nano heater you use? 

On 11/19/2020 at 11:01 PM, Brian P said:

I keep mine in my unheated garage and just use a heater with a thermostat.  I dialed it in to about 82 degrees and it sits in the whole on the top .  When I fill the water I let the heater sit in the water for about half an hour before I turn everything on.  So far I get shrimp in 24 hours every time.  I don’t think the brand of heater matters, just that you can adjust the temp.  

Which heater do you use? Link?

I just asked a question about heaters for the Ziss and @MickS77 recommended the Uniclife 25w heater available on Amazon. 

I have since purchased one and can attest that it fits the Ziss blender perfectly.  Only had it a few days, so I cannot comment on its quality long term, but it is a perfect fit and reasonably priced.

Here's our original thread -

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2020 at 12:16 PM, Pwnzorman said:

could really only find one or two options on Amazon, I went with the Hygger 15w and it's been working great for the last few weeks. I set it to 79F and it keeps the water at 80-81F.

Same here. The 15 watt Hygger was the logical choice for me. Fits perfectly and I like the temperature indicator. I set it at 82 and it keeps the water at 80-81F. 😄

2174D84D-F75F-49BA-81AC-2D230F15C4DD.jpeg

ECA56405-9E44-410B-96C1-EC989DC58644.jpeg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Streetwise said:

I could use help downsizing the recipe, as I only need to feed about 45 gallons of aquariums. Any suggestions?

I may be misunderstanding the question (it’s still early for me) but I’d use the same amount of salt/water and just add fewer eggs. That’s what I do.

• Thanks 1

Hmmm. My scoop is 1.7 cc’s and six growing gourami babies can eat 1/4 of a scoop in 24 hours. Does that give you a starting point? You’ll probably have to experiment a bit—feed a certain amount and see how big your fishes’ bellies get. 🙂

Edited by Hobbit
Forgot a decimal 😳