Favorite Corydora

JE47

So I was browsing through my local fish store the other day and happened to see some of their corydoras they stock about 15 different types and I got to wondering what kinds of corydoras do other people keep. So if you would like to answer please tell us What is your most active corydora? What is your easiest corydora to breed and take care of? or Which one you think is the cutest?

• Like 1

Pandas are probably the answer to those questions more often than not.

For me I'm a bit partial to just about any and all of them.

I would look into something like laser corydoras (orange or green or yellow) as well as trilineatus/false Julii for the activity side of things. Some can be more reclusive, but the majority of time this has to do with setup and with size of the group.

Depending on if you just like the way they look then potentially check out duplicareus, panda, concolor, black schultzei, etc.

Edited by nabokovfan87

I got a group of 6 Sterbai's in my Cube and in the past have held Trilineatus (or whatever there name is) and green laser. They are all great in my opinion. I am currently in the progress of setting up a 100L tank and thinking of getting some Panda's in that one. 

If you're looking for a cory that's active, I say pick any of the easy, beginner cories EXCEPT for pygmaeus. I absolutely love pygmy cories as they are super hardy and by far my favorite fish, but unless you keep them in pretty large schools, you likely won't see them very often. I personally would recommend either panda or aeneus (standard or albino).

Panda cories are the first cory I've ever gotten, and the 2nd fish ever as well. Still to this day I've been breeding them. I've developed enough of a reputation in my state that I typically don't have enough to keep up with people asking for them!  I'm a hobbyist not a business so I'm not worried about maximizing yield always. I will say they are fun. They are active, ESPECIALLY as juveniles and fun to watch. Like all catfish, they can at times have their shy moments and therefore appreciate places to hide but they aren't so shy that you'll never see them. Imo looks wise they aren't my favorite but there's worse ones as well. 

I had concolor cories for awhile. I struggled with these. I was so happy to get them initially because they are very beautiful. I found that no matter what I supplied them with, they were SUPER shy and hid almost always. It took me several months to get them to spawn as well whereas my pandas did on their own right away.  When they were active, they weren't nearly as active and playful as the pandas. Eventually I rehomed them because I was not enjoying having 8 of them in a 20 gallon and never seeing them. 

On 9/26/2023 at 1:21 AM, Crow said:

I love my violet cories. Really active and out and about all the time after they get comfortable. Their blue tails and polka dot heads are super cute!

Man, these have like 4 different common names. It took me a second to realize this is one of them haha. Simils, violet, smudge spot, and I swear there's another I'm probably forgetting haha. I had an obsession with wanting these for awhile but I've never had them. Have you had any success with them spawning at all?

• Like 1

I like sterbais, both their look and their flexibility of higher temps unlike most cories. They were my first cories also and the ones I got tons of eggs out of the plan. 

I love my gold lasers but they are neither my first or my favorite. Nonetheless, they are very pretty imo.

But my favorite ones are pygmy cories. Them sleeping on big anubias leaves as a group, swimming around like tiny helicopters flying. Wiggle wiggle!

BugcatCrazyGIF.gif.82b07b0973132682a6122de15508b0b5.gif

They are just too adorable imo. And my experience is not about them being very shy so that is a plus. Also they add activity to both mid and bottom side of the tank.

• 2 weeks later...