What Are Your Non-Fish Keeping Hobbies?

FLFishChik

I’m going to love reading replies here. 😁 It’s not just what everyone’s other hobbies are, but what each person mixes in. 

For me, the top of the list would be my dart frog and micro gecko collection (still very small); and cherry tomato and hot pepper gardening (and turning those into sauces, jams, etc); and finding and eating edible wild mushrooms in my local Regional Forests, while dog walking on weekends. Birdwatching is up there too, but it’s definitely more passive and less active, i.e. I almost never go out of my way for it anymore. It’s more a matter of keeping my eye open for them as I come and go, and as they come and go.

• Like 5

My 3rd hobby would be my micro-framing/gardening. I built a 20'x30' greenhouse out of 2x2 lumber. That and all the outdoor growing keeps me pretty busy during the warmer months (we only grow spinach for fresh eating over the winter). I would actually have to rank my model railroading as my 1st hobby, slightly ahead of my fish keeping at this point. That could change over time, but they will always be neck and neck (I have a train room, but I don't have a fish room...yet. lol).

• Like 3

I use to breed gargoyle geckos which was super fun. I use to be all reptiles now I am all fish. 

My wife is all chickens and ducks. So I am into chickens and ducks by default, but they are really really cool. Fresh eggs from the back yard is the best! 
Non-animal related I like playing chess, reading/writing, and exercising. 

• Like 3

I am into almost anything involving nature, outdoors, water, and growing things.  Bonsai and Fish keeping are are my longest running hobbies that I am regulary involved in.  Fish keeping is the only hobby that isn't seasonal, and allows me to put all of that into one package. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/18/2023 at 4:30 PM, FLFishChik said:

Just curious as to what other hobbies or interests my fellow Nerms have outside of their aquariums?

Cooking, computer things (hardware, building them when opportunity presents), engineering/design, Sharks the hockey team, sharks the animal, miami dolphins, and..... I really enjoy a good hike into nature whenever that is remotely possible.

• Like 2

My main other hobby is also fish related 😂 I fish a lot in my local area and that led to me learning how to make lures so for years I've been making pretty much every lure I use.  Last year I started a small side business selling lures I make.  At this point I make ice fishing jigs, trout spinners, Northern/muskie spinners, injection molded soft plastics, Buck tail jigs, powder coated jigheads.  I think that's it? It doesn't make the house payment but it's something I enjoy that isn't a net negative on the pocketbook 😂

• Like 2

Went camping this past weekend. (not my smartest decision)   I blew out a knee in June but was determined not to waste an entire season indoors.

Due to the probability of inclement weather, the original group of twenty shrank to 10 campers with various dayime visitors.  The younger families with small children decided to stay home, so this became an adults only weekend👍.  The age gap spanned almost 40 years so there were a lot of interesting conversations, none of which involved fish or plants.  The community kitchen made for plenty of food options.

Low points:  Nonstop intermittent rain and wind every day, temperatures in the fifties, the kitchen was on the other side of the meadow,  44# of extra ice😖that nobody needed

High points: An endless supply of hot coffee, new and different food offerings, including a seafood boil where the food was just dumped on the table top (that was a first for me), open bar, Industrial/ultimate Bocci Ball games.

It was rough, but it was worth it.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I know this post is a bit old, but I'll share. I'm a bit of a hobby juggler. The only constant has been gaming (and watching anime). I've been doing that since the NES days (Atari predates me). However, I also like cooking, which comes along with collecting Japanese knives and natural water stones. When I was growing up my grandfather was really into amateur radio, and I followed in his footsteps though I haven't touched a mic or been to a meeting in a number of years. I also like fishing and hiking. Oh, and espresso. Not like to a nerdy level though. Well, my wife thinks so, but I have only scratched the surface.

I tend to swap hobbies when one is getting old and then I pick it back up again. Rather I get really into something, treat it as a hobby, scale back and treat it as an everyday part of my life. Such as cooking, knife sharpening, and espresso making. I was hyper focused on each of these for a while but now I kind of just do them without a second thought. 

As for fishkeeping, well, I've been doing that on and off since I was a kid. Rather I took a break when I went away to university and moved to Spain. Less time, space, money and focus at, the time. Now that I am getting older, settled down and am back in cold PA I need indoor hobbies. 

Oh and @JettsPapa from the perspective of a grandchild, spending time with your grandchildren can most definitely be a hobby. Or at least in the case of my grandfather and I, it led to sharing a lot of hobbies. Good times.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/18/2023 at 7:30 PM, FLFishChik said:

Just curious as to what other hobbies or interests my fellow Nerms have outside of their aquariums? I have a few, like Sewing, quilting, Vegetable Gardenening, Butterfly Gardening, a little gaming. 

What are yours?

I build things,

I build scale models, furniture and jewelry.

I have started gardening now that I have my own house.

I have been known to draw

• Like 2

On 10/11/2023 at 1:51 AM, AnimalNerd98 said:

I keep isopods, tarantulas, geckos, and frogs in addition to my fish tanks. 

I also like hiking, dabble in vegetable gardening, and watch anime. 

I’m not a big gamer, but I’ll play every new Pokémon game that comes out. 

Oh fellow Anime fan I am binging on that time I was reincarnated as a slime.  But have watched many titles from Akira to Yu Yu Hakishu

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My main hobby has been my job, I'm a designer. I like creating art, graphic art mainly. Prints and that sort of thing. I also like gaming (playing), and F1 (watching;).  

• Like 3