Corydoras' Eggs

Joe V

• 2 weeks later...

If you collect the eggs individually, I just roll them off the glass or plants with my fingers, and spread them out in a container you can spot the infertile eggs before any fungus starts to grow out of them and infect other fertile eggs. 

The infertile eggs will start to turn white. This starts quite soon after they are laid and after a day the infertile ones will be completely white. In the picture you can see the infertile white eggs, clear eggs which are a day old and darker eggs which are more mature. 

I use an empty tube from a pen as a dip tube to remove the infertile eggs and to move around the good eggs so they are not touching each other.

I find that by doing this it doesn't get to the point where fungus is a problem. 

IMG_20201206_082910.jpg

IMG_20201206_083123.jpg

IMG_20201206_083108.jpg

I hope you have success raising them! But if not dont give up! It took me quite a bit of trial and error before I got the hang of it. I’ve tried so many different methods but always go back to methylene blue, it’s dirt cheap (in the UK) and goes along way. Hydrogen Peroxide does work but I rarely recommend it unless you have experience using it, you always hear horror stories on FB where people haven’t diluted it properly and nuked their tank. I use lab/food grade peroxide from eBay because our drug store brands sometimes have additives, and it’s cheaper, but not as cheap as methylene blue! 😊

Lots of great responses above! If you're looking for another method, without using m. blue, here are a few videos explaining our process. These are journal entries for our BAP project. We're working on Corydoras Aeneus right now. Not master breeders of corys here! But this method is working for us. Lots of details . . . 

Video #1: Finding eggs and Pulling

Video #2: Cory Eggs hatching

Video #3: Fry growing

Video #3: Cory fry entering Week 3 towards BAP

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Success!!! I have official habrosus cory fry!! Just two/three! My female is only laying one-two at a time. But I’m so pleased. It’s a really satisfying feeling. Never done this before. I used Indian almond leaves, and I really think those tannins did something magical to my little tank, making it a place where my corys wanted to spawn.  Now to just keep them alive!!

• Like 3