Corydoras' Eggs

Joe V

We caught our cory breeding today.  I have collected the eggs before the other fish could eat them.  I currently have the eggs in a specimen container with an airstone in it, floating inside the tank to keep the same temperature.  What should I do with them now?  I saw people saying about adding an anti fungal solution, but not sure if I should.  Looking for help on keeping the eggs heathy and the fry alive after hatching.  Any help would greatly be appreciated. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pookies Aquatics said:

You should just use methylene blue or another anti fungal solution then. 

I was looking for that at a local store.  I found API PIMAFIX.  I will add that now to the container.  Thank you for the help.

3 hours ago, Joe V said:

I was looking for that at a local store.  I found API PIMAFIX.  I will add that now to the container.  Thank you for the help.

Please document your experience with using Pimafix for this use! It's very poorly regarded as a treatment for fish but perhaps it will be useful in this scenario. I know that @yannachka has done a moderate amount of research on the product.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Pookies Aquatics said:

Is that a blood parrot in the tank? I was interested in getting one. Do you think it could get along with platies?

Small blood parrot might get along with platies for a while until they out grow them.  I would keep a close eye on it.  The two I have can be a little bit of a bully. They will eat anything that will fit in there mouth.

7 hours ago, ange said:

Please document your experience with using Pimafix for this use! It's very poorly regarded as a treatment for fish but perhaps it will be useful in this scenario. I know that @yannachka has done a moderate amount of research on the product.

Might explain why it was on sale 😞

9 hours ago, ange said:

appreciate the call out, if you do use it @Joe V please document it and post your experience on this thread, in trying to gather clinical studies done on pimafix/melafix and tea tree oil use on fish as well as personal experiences. 

2 hours ago, n0rbz said:

@Joe V is that methylene blue "PIMAFIX" ?? or something else?? 

I didn't like the PIMAFIX to much, which is a natural tree oil.  The methylene blue I am using is branded Kordon.  I am giving it a try to see how it works.  This current batch of eggs is smaller and I might have to wait for a bigger batch to really be able to compare the two products.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joe V said:

I didn't like the PIMAFIX to much, which is a natural tree oil.  The methylene blue I am using is branded Kordon.  I am giving it a try to see how it works.  This current batch of eggs is smaller and I might have to wait for a bigger batch to really be able to compare the two products.

let us know how it works! 😉

For what it’s worth alder cones can also be used as an anti-fungal treatment for the eggs.  I also believe that hydrogen peroxide is used in commercial hatcheries to prevent eggs fungusing although I haven’t personally tried it.  I’ve found that if I pull the eggs and place them on the side of a container with an air stone running from underneath them I don’t really have issues with fungus.  Also, spacing the eggs out a bit will allow you to remove any not viable eggs and keep them from spreading fungus to others.