just add fish: why don't LFS sell "established tank" kits

Why can't local fish stores sell tanks with established plants, substrate, filters and media, heaters and leave it partially filled with water, so that noobs like me don't have to wait weeks before getting a fish?

I understand my tap water may be slightly different but I would think an "established tank" package will encourage longevity in the hobby.

i would say beyond the time involved(no one wants to pay for that), there are so many options for substrate, plants, ,filters ,heaters that they would sell very few as no one would like all the things they picked out.

• Like 3

Also check out Craig’s list, Band app. Folks get rid of existing tanks and fish all the time. It would be already going. 
Half the fun for me is setup and establishing the tank. It’s such a feeling of accomplishment once it is thriving. I would not miss that for the world. 
Companies do sell bottled bacteria as tank jumpstarts. 

• Like 3

There are actually many LFS that do this. Some hire a professional aquascaper. And there is a premium. $100-500 over what it would cost to setup yourself depending on the age and “beauty” of the tank. My LFS near me sells already established tanks. They are all pico or nano tanks because otherwise it’d be unreasonable.

They are quite beautiful and imo reasonably priced. Full setup with high end equipment and CO2 runs you about $500-750 for a 15 gallon tank. Everything is automatic including nutrient loading. If I were less patient it’d be an easy grab for me

I do have the advantage of living in the greater Seattle area though, where money is abundant and this hobby is booming.

Edited by Biotope Biologist
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Ocean aquarium as well as shops in japan, many places do this regularly.  Some people do not want to have to "figure it out" and just want a tank that looks good.  Think of it the same way as going to the store to buy a fountain or lucky bamboo display.... That is just what some prefer instead of scaping things themselves.  Having a place to start also makes things much less intimidating.  It's a reason why people prototype parts for design and manufacturing.  It's in your hands and you can touch and feel. It's right there!

I think having this available depends on the shop themselves.  I would also argue that having 3-5 tanks pre-scaped also is a good way to show off and push tank sales in smaller stores.  Also... probably a really good way to get that betta a better home.  The only logic for not doing so is that because it's very difficult to ensure that the tank will always arrive without issue.  Someone drives crazy and your massive investment just went for nothing.  Having the liability or the foresight to deliver every tank, some sort of "at your own risk" policy is crucial to protect smaller businesses and new customers from doing some unintended damage.

• Like 3

I’m lucky enough to have many good fish stores in my area and several do exactly this.  More of them will sell you an established sponge filter or block of sponge to start your filter.  It’s impractical to sell anything much more than about 10-15 gallon size pre-scaped or planted as they are higher risk to move due to the weight of the substrate and scape.

• Like 2

On 6/3/2023 at 9:25 AM, Guppysnail said:

Okay, why can't I remove the quote above?

Anyway, I am pleased to know there are such services out there. At my LFS, though, they didn't volunteer or offer to give or exchange used filter media to help me get started.

Btw, I asked at PetSmart if they would give me gunky water from their tank clean outs but they gave me blank stares and said it was all gone...

On 6/5/2023 at 11:58 AM, HelplessNewbie said:

Anyway, I am pleased to know there are such services out there. At my LFS, though, they didn't volunteer or offer to give or exchange used filter media to help me get started.

Btw, I asked at PetSmart if they would give me gunky water from their tank clean outs but they gave me blank stares and said it was all gone...

Assuming you're posting from a laptop or desk top, click on the black text at the top of the quoted message and hit the Delete key on your keyboard (see below).  If on a phone I don't know.  I don't follow the forum much from mine.

image.png.14f412c2a99af81fc460ff6f31eeaa82.png

• Thanks 1

On 6/5/2023 at 12:58 PM, HelplessNewbie said:

It’s tricky but you keep tapping in the upper right corner of the “box do double taps and then hit backspace and keep doing it. Eventually I do it right and I can get rid of the quote.

• Thanks 1