For potential protozoal issues, metronidazole gets a lot of them (not all) but with at least a moderate dose of salt (1 tablespoon per 5 gallons to save most of your plants) you’re going to get most, especially the ones that cause erosive skin lesions (as opposed to Ich).  Malachite green (Ich-X is malachite green plus formalin) will obviously get Ich but is harsher on the fish and plants.

Once erosive skin lesions start, antibiotics can be very helpful since those often get secondary bacterial infections along with the parasitic infection.

High dose salt will help clear the protozoans quicker but more likely to wipe out plants.

As far as praziquantal alone vs. Paracleanse, I typically reach for Prazi alone when deworming for intestinal parasites, but erosive skin lesions make me reach for metronidazole (along with the minocycline in Maracyn-2 OR kanamycin).  So if you’re worried about both, reach for the combo in Paracleanse.  I am more likely to pick single meds (but might use more than one at a time just not usually in the prepared combos available) so I can adjust the dose of one or the other as needed, if needed.

The prepared combos are more about broader spectrum treatment since the average fishkeeper doesn’t have any real idea what they’re dealing with in sick fish.  I usually have some idea from looking at lesions, symptoms, or behavior and choose a more focused treatment - a dewormer vs. skin infection for instance.  I use both levamisole and praziquantal on initial deworming for my pea puffers that I was pretty sure were wild caught.  But I only repeated levamisole later since tapeworms were much less likely to recur once cleared compared to the nematode species that could come in with the blackworms that were part of their feedings.

• Thanks 1

On 5/4/2024 at 10:47 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Bacterial cysts on the mouth

My fellow hobbyist friend randomly asked if I had heard of a disease affecting tetras where a large cyst appears on the mouth. I mentioned the issue you were having but that I wasn’t sure it was tetras, in your case. She didn’t remember the name of the illness but said it’s viral and that there isn’t a treatment for it. Mentioned it was affecting the fish farms as well? I wish we had more information..

On 4/29/2024 at 12:02 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

and I lost half of them due to my own unwillingness to let them suffer any further. 

This part of the hobby SUCKS. I had to do the same, twice this past month, for illnesses that were too far progressed that the fishes could not endure treatment. 😞  When I was a kid we would flush ill or dead fish. It was easier somehow, as the water whisked them away and out of sight.. but now we have more resources and know the chlorine is painful for the fish and we don’t want the bad things in our water…

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/11/2024 at 5:16 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:
On 5/4/2024 at 7:47 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Bacterial cysts on the mouth

My fellow hobbyist friend randomly asked if I had heard of a disease affecting tetras where a large cyst appears on the mouth. I mentioned the issue you were having but that I wasn’t sure it was tetras, in your case. She didn’t remember the name of the illness but said it’s viral and that there isn’t a treatment for it. Mentioned it was affecting the fish farms as well? I wish we had more information..

Salt + polyguard worked for me. Nitrofuri.... Was what I saw recommended if kanaplex hadn't worked (bacterial cysts)

Colu, I believe, had mentioned the name of the actual virus. 

(Edit 2: Lymphocystis )

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

Metroplex on the way. I am still seeing "slime" on the body and it reminds me of epi or velvet. Not sure how else to describe it.  The severe, quick moving fin rot is absolutely concerning.

Water changes today, more water changes tomorrow. More meds tomorrow.

@Odd Duckis it safe to do a second dose of prazi with metro or should I just stick with doing only the metro+salt and then go back to prazi if it makes sense to do so. (One dose done 7-10 days ago)

• Like 1

On 5/11/2024 at 10:57 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Metroplex on the way. I am still seeing "slime" on the body and it reminds me of epi or velvet. Not sure how else to describe it.  The severe, quick moving fin rot is absolutely concerning.

Water changes today, more water changes tomorrow. More meds tomorrow.

@Odd Duckis it safe to do a second dose of prazi with metro or should I just stick with doing only the metro+salt and then go back to prazi if it makes sense to do so. (One dose done 7-10 days ago)

Yes, you can do praziquantal and metronidazole together. Just don’t double up on either by using Paraguard with either one. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2024 at 7:40 PM, Odd Duck said:

Yes, you can do praziquantal and metronidazole together. Just don’t double up on either by using Paraguard with either one. 

Last dose of prazi done (2 total),  1 round of kanaplex done, finishing up round 1 of metroplex.  I plan to stop meds at that point and monitor again, focus on a lot of water changes.

I lost one oto yesterday sometime, woke up to it dead and very pale/white/unrecognizable.  I found my last one in there at the bottom and I don't expect it to make it through the night.  So far I've lost 3 otos (all of them), a few amanos, a ton of plants, 7-9 corydoras, and I expect one corydoras I have in QT to not recover at this point.  It has no barbels and its swimming is labored from whatever is going on.

I need to remove the salt that's been in the tank for an extended period of time at this point and that will help the fish to really start recovering.  One question I did have about Kanaplex / Metroplex is regarding water changes.  Hikari, API, and Fritz make it very clear on when water changes are allowed with treatment of meds, but Seachem is extremely poor about information on their labels.  The dose on the metroplex vial says "1-2 scoops", but no indication of using one dose or the other.  Only until emailing in and asking "what gives?" did they mention sensitive species.  Each med often repeats how it is difficult to overdose the meds, adding to the confusion.

Anyways, @Odd Duck and @Colu with regards to something like metroplex and kanaplex.... I take the mindset that the med needs to "build up" in the water over time.  This is why it is multple doses in a short time period.  With regards to this logic when are water changes acceptable, especially when you're talking weeks of treatment windows.

Kanaplex, 3 doses is one treatment, so I do my water changes after 3 doses and give a break to the tank.  Follow-up with a second course if need be.

Metroplex, I do not know when is viable, but the label says treat for 2-3 weeks with 1-2 scoops.  Everything is vague and I don't speak seachem science braille.

• Sad 2

On 5/21/2024 at 7:22 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

So sorry for your losses @nabokovfan87. Hope things improve.

I appreciate it. Honestly I'm just at a loss.

I couldn't find the oto when I check tonight, found another corydoras with half a tail missing (fin rot) and moved it to the QT tank.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

With kanaplex I do a large water change before treating then  after full course of treatment which is  3 dose over 6 days then I do a large water on day 7 metroplex  if your dosing the tank over an extended period of time I would just do regular testing and do   water changes as needed and add back in the appropriate medication to keep it  at a therapeutic level for instance if you did a 10 gallon water change I would put 1 scoop of metroplex back in the dosing instructions depend on how severe the  protozoa or anaerobic bacterial infections is two scoops I  would use for more advanced infection @nabokovfan87

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you are still having losses and another fish with that much tail missing I would strongly recommend getting Maracyn-2 going in the food if possible, if anybody isn’t eating put it in the water. Maracyn-2 is absorbed internally and if the fin rot is that deep into tissue you need it to be absorbed internally.

Metronidazole is absorbed internally but has a limited anti-microbial spectrum. works great for GI stuff, not so good for deep tissue infections or skin infections unless there’s a parasite component that needs addressed.  Kanaplex has great spectrum but is not absorbed internally to any significant degree so it should always go in the water.

I’m now thinking this is much more likely to be bacterial vs. Hexamita so I would get the Maracyn-2 going ASAP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Water changes need to happen on every tank, but my focus will have to be on the tanks that had meds.  The goal is to get that done and toss in some IALs that were generously gifted to me by @Chick-In-Of-TheSea in hopes of helping with all of these issues that I've been having.

The sword plant is looking really beat up and the plecos have been out and about trying to graze on some of the plants that have been dying off.  I don't see much of the bulb plants around anymore and I'm hoping I do.  One bulb rotted, I have 3 more in there I need to locate.  1 of them did look fine, but it needs to anchor itself and start to grow.  I keep it in the front right corner, but it's where the corydoras eat.  I imagine the kids think it's a playtime ball or something because it moves around daily.

I did end up losing my final otocinclus.  This one did show some similar issues to what I have seen on the black corydoras.  Again, weird, to have a disease like this targeting what amounts to armored catfish with external symptoms.

I'll try to keep an eye out on this thread and update accordingly.  Right now I am trying to decide what happens with the corydoras I've moved into the 20L tank for specialized care, white clouds, and what is next.  Right now it's purely about water changes and monitoring the situation.

Pricing out meds for maracyn 2, it's about $80 before shipping to treat the tank once.  Dosing it in the food would require less medications, but I also have zero assurance that the fish in question will eat the medicated food.  It's a bit of a quandary and right now I just really need to see what is going on with the fish again.

Fresh water, ensure they are eating foods, and ensure that they don't have any environmental triggers causing stress.  That airstone will remain in the tank permanently as I believe it is necessary.

Posted (edited)

How are things going @nabokovfan87?  Hopefully fish health pretty stable? What type of substrate is in the 75 now? Also how are the bulb plants? Mine were looking clearish and had some algae, so I RR them and now I have new growth. I trimmed the old stuff off.

image.jpg
(things are stirred up by water change)

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

Posted (edited)

Doing more research tonight.  For clarity, this is what I thought I had narrowed the symptoms down to given all of the things I've tried.  I was hoping that the final dose of meds would've handled this. 

Research continues...  I will need to get a video of the severely ill corydoras trying to swim to give an idea of "late stages" of the disease.

Note: this is from a rainbowfish book.  Not sure how prevalent these things can be on armored catfish / corydoras / otocinclus, but here we are.

image.png.c36ce947c9a2c892e541ebb4b0943181.png

Edit:
Option 2: Fungal Finrot (yep, that's a thing)
Option 3: Columnaris

I've treated for all of these at least twice. The main issue is often poor quality environment, so I am going to keep focusing there.  I may have some help/assistance getting meds and I'll get my hands on some focus + garlic whatever.  We'll see how they do and what happens.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

On 6/1/2024 at 10:03 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

How are things going @nabokovfan87?  Hopefully fish health pretty stable? What type of substrate is in the 75 now? Also how are the bulb plants? Mine were looking clearish and had some algae, so I RR them and now I have new growth. I trimmed the old stuff off.

I only found one, I didn't look for the others. The substrate is controsoil.  The fish health is just a bit weird.... It seems like everything is fine for weeks and then all of a sudden one or two fish might be doing very poorly and I feel like I'm starting at square 1 again. I've covered everything I can seemingly thing of apart from the meds mentioned by OD/Colu above. I will spend some time watching the fish today. They seem to be active, behavior is normal, but I did see one of the very young corydoras that wasn't doing well. I still have 3 in my 20Long tank being monitored and 2 of those are likely beyond the point of a full recovery.

• Sad 2

Ok so! A couple things.

Bulb!  It's fiiiiine, but just has always been in this state since about day 1.  It's my obi-wan Kenobi plant. 😂. I will dig around in the back of the tank when I trim and my hands are healed up.

20240602_114011.JPG.fc2d95a51e3c5f416f67e66ec7a17a96.JPG

In terms of all of the corydoras, one of the first signs is clamped fins. Just general "I don't feel so good" body language.

20240602_114038.JPG.7df4d085f8b992df1f7270294736cc87.JPG

I have a picture of this corydoras in a few minutes we can see him better.

This is Riddick.  She has been through EVERYTHING and she lives in the 20L that every single sick corydoras has been through. She is in there with the white clouds as well. The debris on the bottom is plants, not food and I just cleaned the tank a few days prior. It'll get cleaned again today.

She looks really, really good today.

20240602_114351.JPG.3e7cf7e265b64f2369f2a01412113478.JPG

The other ones in her tank do not. I do not expect this fish to make it through the day. Unfortunately. I also took a video of the other one trying to function.

20240602_114340.JPG.bb699b3a9af3b490e2911e3c7e497a11.JPG

Back to the main tank, the two smaller corydoras.20240602_114915.JPG.963820512c79019fe3442b804053695d.JPG20240602_114920.JPG.b3b81eb0cc46b6225dc9b9314609da95.JPG

Again, they visually just look a bit unhappy. Tank will get cleaned, I'll probably clean the filter again today just to do so. The weird bend on the tail in the first one is not a deformity, when I fed the fish she was fine. It was just a weird moment and definitely freaked me out seeing her contorted like that.

If the video sparks any indications please feel free to share. I think this is legitimate some mix of multiple diseases and it's very likely ones that I've treated for.  My focus right now is to give their body a break from the chemicals and harshness and try to let them recover. In a week I will revisit this choice and potentially start one last round of food based bacterial meds as recommended above.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1