On 10/7/2023 at 7:53 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Oh man, your tank cycle crashed. Hopefully old media still in bucket? Can you swap back to that? Did you get the bottled bacteria added in?

NOPE.  typo.

nitrATE is 25.
nitrite is 0.
ammonia is 0.

All the old media / ceramic is in the new filter.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Thanks 1

On 10/7/2023 at 7:57 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Also I realized I am not in the shrimp journal. Lol. This is not the tank with the new sponge filters.

Yeah.  It was the culls.  I lost two red ones, one female. one male.  I THINK... it was just that powder stuff over the media or maybe some residue on the sponges.  (I was way too annoyed/frustrate to bother with trips to go rinse everything)

I opened the box, saw all the things, tried step one, felt like I was just going to end up breaking everything....  Still not sure how to "fix it" or if I just leave it as is.

Everything is installed, running fine, just is not made for a 75G tank.  Sort of like trying to use a hammer/dremel to get an AC70 to fit.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2023 at 10:59 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I THINK... it was just that powder stuff over the media

I never knew there was powder stuff. I rinse new things anyway just because I think it says to. Never knew why I was doing it (remove plain ol’ dust?)

How about running some carbon?

On 10/7/2023 at 10:55 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Someone talk me out of barbs

They eat shrimplets.

On 10/7/2023 at 8:02 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I never knew there was powder stuff. I rinse new things anyway just because I think it says to. Never knew why I was doing it (remove plain ol’ dust?)

How about running some carbon?

I had half new (from the old unmodded tidal) and I had the stuff from the active tank.  I added more matrix and then I had that old sicce/fluval mech stuff.  I tossed all that in there.  I don't know if it was calcium, but just the general "it's dusty" stuff.  Maybe there was just some residue on the plastics.  I should run carbon.... you're right. 

If I lose another one I'll adjust.  Right now I was more focused on trying to understand it and not drain the tank just for the sake of changing things.  I had one amano female, she released her zoey today and molted.  Lost one red cull, another red cull, and then everyone seems ok.  I have another amano about to molt too.  I thought it was going to be low PH due to the active substrate, but that's fine.  That was honestly the main concern.  So far everyone seems to be ok, but I'll check in an hour or so and adjust.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2023 at 7:55 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Someone talk me out of barbs. 

Pretty sure I talked myself out of it. 😞

ALRIGHT everyone, it's time to show the sunday funday update (Go Dolphins! 🙂 )

I wanted to start by saying that this would not be possible at all without the help of many people, but I want to specifically say thank you to @mountaintoppufferkeeper , @KittenFishMom , and @AllFishNoBrakes for sending me some of the supplies and things for this tweak on the tank.  It means a ton to be a part of a community where a small bit of help can go such a long way. 

Let's rewind....

One of my favorite things is the kelp forest and it's also something that I recently found out is having as much of an environmental issue as things like coral reefs.  Tragically so, it's a unique and wonderful habitat that I have always enjoyed ever since I was yay tall.  I think of myself as the shark / seal cruising through the tall plumes of kelp and I just can't imagine anything else like it.  A long walk down a forest trail, a nice dip through the kelp forest, a nap on top of a mountain pass looking down into the valley, all of those things are peaceful for me.  One thing I have always wanted to do was get better at stems for the sake of having tall plants.  Seeing dutch style tanks from others on the forums as well has been a huge eye opener for me.  I dig the pruned, pleasing placement of different textures, especially when they are allowed to intertwine and flow with one another... much like that kelp forest.

That being said a little bit ago MTPK had sent me some "Kelp" for my scape and it was something that had it's own story thanks to the summer heat, but I am happy to say that it's actually doing alright.  This will be my first time trying to grow it properly, propagate it, and even have the ability to scape with it.  I think I've tried to order it 2-3 separate times and ran into what amounts to glitter as opposed to an actual plant that I can apply to a piece of mesh.

I got my moss thread and some quilting mesh with the cups for the glass, finally, and yesterday I gave it my best attempt to tie the moss to the grid.  I started with a very long needle and thread and tying the moss the traditional route using normal sewing techniques.  Over under and stitching X's where need be to keep things in place.  Needless to say it didn't go well at all, but it worked for some sections.  Attempt 2 was to use a ton more thread and to go through the process of trying to wrap the plant against the grid and just going around it a few dozen times in each direction.  The grid warped, the thread slipped, and then I couldn't tie a knot to save my life!  😞 😞 😞

Attempt 2, zip ties, use two sheets, and then go ahead and just see how well the suss growing through the grid works...  This is where grid size is critical and hopefully the size of grid I have isn't too small. I had planned on three vertical grids in the back of the tank, but due to needs like a heater I think I will just keep two.  Once I get some more zip ties I'll go ahead and "repair" the grid with thread.  I do have an idea on how to use the grids and thread without any other issues, but for right now... today, we're just going to have to go with the traditional sandwich method. I don't want a fish getting stuck in the grid and I need to go to the hardware store anyways.

I put together a little moss ledge that I was sent as well and it was so much easier!  I think if I cut notches in the grid I'll be able to tie the moss a lot better!  we'll see.  I plan to add one to the shrimp tank with that moss as well.  I do like the idea of feeding the thread through the grid every so often to keep things stable, but it's just like an episode of lucy at some point!  It's much easier to tie this thread when it's thread on thread as opposed to just tying the end to the grid square at the end of the run.  Maybe I just need to practice a lot more... which will happen.

20231008_153841.jpg.35d13dcd738a90a8cae5a9c59e7f08d5.jpg20231008_153624.jpg.fe50240b7c8ef132e72d83875609b8d3.jpg

The next issue I wanted to tackle, the big project before the major plant order arrives is that I need to stop this BBA in it's tracks.  I have been dosing in hydrogen peroxide to the tank.... to no avail.... and my comment earlier about mixing the substrate is because it seems like the seachem flourite black loves to grow bba, directly, on the substrate itself.  I'm not sure why.  I don't see that same behavior on the contrasoil, but I can also imagine the same thing will happen.

20231008_153648.jpg.e08b38245e671b24e95ac22dd7f53d2d.jpg20231008_153659.jpg.85cc5b30fedb8605ec1bd6b10da88b46.jpg20231008_153724.jpg.aef4aaa6b96afab08d99ee2bf4769a72.jpg20231008_153738.jpg.8c2f5b8e7b18ebbde1a12ee9f90a6cab.jpg

As for the swords, they have been doing well.  The one on the right is a bit "unhappy" and that just because it's in slightly more flow than the other two.  I am considering if/when to move it and where it would go.   I pulled 1-2 leaves that were a bit beat up, but I did want to pause and take a bit of photos of the swords themselves just for the sake of tracking progress on them.  They have everything they could ever need and I know the light is dialed in.  It's all a matter of CO2 balance and circulation right now.... so let's check out how we can improve that.

20231008_153853.jpg.65fa4066feec95e2c7e440e4caa67540.jpg20231008_153858.jpg.797b215f2431ba713bae2a27e98bf55c.jpg20231008_153902.jpg.810f72def4ca509edca9e5f7a33798f1.jpg

One thing I needed to do was to stop having multiple sources of flow and have a bit more uniform flow direction.  Whether it's front to back or left to right, the goal being that I need to have a spraybar go across the tank and have a pump strong enough to do so.   The pump I have now goes about... a foot and a half across the tank and then it's not really doing much.  That pump is now removed.  On the right side we have the co2 being dosed in all by itself with nothing but movement across the top of the tank down the side glass, pushing the co2 bubbles around the tank.  For the placement of the co2, reducing BBA on the spraybar and co2 tubing, this seeems like the only way I can realistically run this setup.

20231008_153636.jpg.7ac06e332b2fae36ef935c9acb9537f6.jpg20231008_153907.jpg.86ade9738555bf7abe3fd5b1caf3a6c9.jpg

On the right side of the tank there is some movement, but it's not as much as I would like.  Based on the way that sword plant is moving, I honestly don't know how much more I can actually push out.  All that being said.... the only way I can reliably run a spraybar is to either make one, or use the stuff I have on hand and plum all that down to an empty tank/sump.  I just do not have the knowledge or parts to build a sump, but I am absolutely certain that is where the long term setup for this tank may go. 

For now, I tried to use "the trick" and the sales in place to get the canister that everyone seemingly loves.  After a lot of frustration, fear of breaking crap, this is all the equipment we have in the tank for filtration now.  I'll post more about the pump and filter setup itself at a later date in a separate thread.  For now, this is just in place, working, and it'll run until I have the patience to fix the issues.  You see the spraybar there, pushing all the way across the length of the tank.  The flow cascades down the glass and it does indeed help to circulate the co2.  After about 2-3 weeks I'll decide on how things are doing and if that is a benefit or if I need to mount the bar across the entire length of the back of the tank.  I would very much want to move to in-line diffusion, but for right now, this works and it's a massive step up from the last setup in terms of being able to push as much CO2 as I want. 

20231008_153916.jpg.bbf6e884d6a393c6e6fea242be510e36.jpg

I don't have a bin right now, so the canister is on my plant table (please send help for those plants!) and it's just in place.

20231008_153933.jpg.3575b4b83768addaa61cdbbf944ce067.jpg

I do like the look on the top of the tank and I've tried to seal off the gaps in the lid as best I can. 

20231008_153939.jpg.59fbb74727524b44698c4a4e3ecfc178.jpg

I think I ended up using my trim piece on the 29G and that's siliconed into place.  I will try to cut that apart as I am breaking down that lid as well.  I'm ready to get rid of the glass lids on that tank as well, provided that there is a better solution.  I do think I am going to have to take @Chick-In-Of-TheSea's advice and just get the ones from CPK.  I like the idea of having stuff that "just works" and makes my life easy.  That's the goal anyways. 🙂

Thanks for reading, more in future, but for today that's where we're at!  I'll clean out the prefilters and I'll check how things are doing internally on the foams.  I honestly don't know what the schedule will be for cleaning it right now.  I definitely am not waiting 1-3 years like some people out there.  I'll get into my setup, layout of the media, but for right now... it was all about just getting it to work and running.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2023 at 5:53 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Go Dolphins! 🙂

While I am not a football fan myself, and don’t have any “skin in the game”, I am an Operations Manager for a local restaurant group that is heavily tied to football. We do better when the Broncos win, and boy did your Dolphins put a HURTIN’ on the ol’ Donkeys a couple of weeks ago. Again, I’m not a fan and really don’t care, but I do care about our restaurant group and that game was an embarrassment, lol. 

image.jpeg.069d1583562748b3c8c00146747afe2f.jpeg

On 10/8/2023 at 5:53 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

As for the swords, they have been doing well. 

Glad they’ve been doing well for you! The one on the left is really taking off! It has AT LEAST doubled in size from when you received it. At least doubled in size! I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again; just give them time my friend. They came from a tank that had very little to no flow and they FLOURISHED for me. Not trying to make you feel bad, but I basically didn’t try to grow them and have Swords coming out of my ears. With you actually putting work into them it’ll happen! Just give it time. They’re not like fast growing stems, in my opinion. Instead, just let them do their thing. If they take root they’re going to explode (it just takes time). 2 weeks ago I trimmed off like half of a Sword in a 20 gallon high. Didn’t even phase it. It’s already sending out new leaves. They’re extremely resilient in my experience. Just imagine the lush/overgrown foliage you’ll see in a year. I know that sounds like a long time right now, but for real, as long as they root in you’re good! YOU GOT THIS!!!

On 10/8/2023 at 7:48 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

While I am not a football fan myself, and don’t have any “skin in the game”, I am an Operations Manager for a local restaurant group that is heavily tied to football. We do better when the Broncos win, and boy did your Dolphins put a HURTIN’ on the ol’ Donkeys a couple of weeks ago. Again, I’m not a fan and really don’t care, but I do care about our restaurant group and that game was an embarrassment, lol. 

Honestly, it was just another game.  Both teams have a ways to go before they feel "solid".  Denver definitely has some work to do and things to work out, but... it's good.  Passionate fanbase for sure!

On 10/8/2023 at 7:48 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Not trying to make you feel bad, but I basically didn’t try to grow them and have Swords coming out of my ears. With you actually putting work into them it’ll happen! Just give it time.

For sure!  That's why I was thinking about moving that one.  The big indication is BBA.   I have 2-3 stems I want to be in the "background" and I need to keep an eye on how they compose themselves in the flow.  The way the filter is setup it's almost like a peninsula tank and I may have to scape it that way with an open space to the right end where the flow goes down the glass.

Speaking of flow, I went ahead and checked the filtration as well as rinsed what need be.  All looks basically new and I don't see a ton of anything going up into the foams yet.  Not sure what to think about that, but we'll keep an eye on it and check it in two weeks. (prefilter weekly)

Here's a video showing how things flow behaves going lengthwise and showing it at spraybar level and at fill height.

On 10/8/2023 at 9:34 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Honestly, it was just another game.

Denver LOST 70-20! The dolphins scored the most points in a single game since the 1960’s! Thats 60!!!! Years! We’re closer to the moon landing (1969) than the last time a team previously put up 70+ points in a game (1966)! I appreciate you being humble, but let’s call it like it is. 😂. 250 MILLION down the drain, again, for a guy named Russell 😂. A quarter BILLION (with a “B”) dollars. Should’ve just stacked it and lit it on fire. 

On 10/8/2023 at 9:44 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

I appreciate you being humble, but let’s call it like it is. 😂. 250 MILLION down the drain, again, for a guy named Russell 😂. A quarter BILLION (with a “B”) dollars. Should’ve just stacked it and lit it on fire. 

You forget how long Miami has stunk up the joint!!!!

They could've gone for the record, but that's not really applicable.  It "got out of hand" but it was still a really fun game. Denver defense was having some fun.  It felt like every other college football game I've seen highlights for.

• Like 1

Grace is doing a bit of "dancing" this morning. Lights pop on and she's swimming around checking on everything. She's going through the swords and I see the corydoras somewhat active and one or two swimming midwater. I had fed some repashy so I assume they were going after food remnants.

What is super interesting is that I see the otos shoaling like crazy. I think the amano were moving and spooked them or it might be a little bit of breeding behavior. I see them swimming around and then I see Grace doing her thing. A little bit of grazing on algae on the glass before she runs to bed and she's just exploring, seemingly, every surface. She's a happy little fish this morning. 🙂

• Like 1

On 10/8/2023 at 7:53 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I'm ready to get rid of the glass lids on that tank as well, provided that there is a better solution.  I do think I am going to have to take @Chick-In-Of-TheSea's advice and just get the ones from CPK. 

The ones I use are acrylic and come from lifewithpetsgci.com. I think they only make for smaller tanks though, 5gal, 10gal, etc. Not sure if they’d have a 20.

Sword plant picture- amano shrimp sitting there being adorable.

The living wall looks good! 👍 

• Thanks 1

On 10/9/2023 at 1:19 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

The ones I use are acrylic and come from lifewithpetsgci.com. I think they only make for smaller tanks though, 5gal, 10gal, etc. Not sure if they’d have a 20.

They do! I think I have to order 3 parts though.  One is for with hob, one without.  (one full cover + the hob one just in case.)

I was trying to figure out if they are made of lexan, but I think I finally figured it out recently. 

• Like 1

It's been a busy few days and today specifically has been a little bit hectic. 

First and foremost the pups were a little upset for some reason.  Stress, anxiety, or maybe their new food.  This is little Zoey sitting with me trying to calm her stomach and trying to de-stress so to speak.  I gave them some chicken with their food to try to settle their stomach and they both seem to be doing well again.

20231015_211402.jpg.9815156b740f0f019ae01ca6a478d65a.jpg

I spent a few days this week trying to piece together a full spraybar across the back of the tank.  I got the kit (thankfully it was on sale, which arrived taped to death, used, and missing pieces.  So once that got handled I went about trying to piece things together.  The final setup looked "ok" but it's definitely not something I think fluval ever intended for someone to do and it's definitely not something where the filter in question is designed for this volume of water (despite any claims to the contrary).  In terms of the surface agitation it looked like the pump was basically not running despite that it was.  I could feel movement, there was flow, but it simply isn't what I would have wanted long term.

20231014_193719.JPG.828c2f525378fa48019df06c88ab0664.JPG

You can also see in the back that the second susswassertang wall is now similar to the other one.  I only had two zip ties and so I had to sew together all around the outside.  That is definitely time consuming and I still have no idea if this will actually work well in the end.  Fingers crossed, but at least now it is in place and not floating into the prefilter.

So.... the frustration of the week is that once I cut pipes down to length, adjusted placement of the things in the tank, and fit everything into place, then I had to see what was going on with the flow and the CO2.  Flow, very, very weak and it was barely moving water.  The secondary factor here was to visually see how the flow was working with the CO2.  That is when I knew we had a bit of a major issue.  Intake is all the way to the left, co2 is all the way to the right.  If you want a real world, visual example of the circulation in your tank, I don't know of a better method.  The co2 was flowing about 1/4 of the way in the tank, no further, and the majority of the plants were not getting any benefit of the dosing.

This means disassembly and back to the side mount scenario.  There's no real way to run the spraybar across the tank with this specific pump.  In-line CO2 or not, there's just not enough flow in that situation.  I still have my doubts and knowing what I know now, I don't think I would've ever gone down this route.  I saw it in a video... but here's the general idea of where the filters make sense for.

107 --> 10G
207 --> 20G
307 --> 29G
407 --> 40B

In terms of raw value let's compare:
Tidal 110: 450 GPH
Aquaclear 110: 500 GPH
Tidal 75 x2: 350 GPH (x2) = 700 GPH
Fluval 407: 245 GPH of "filter circulation" pump is rated for 383 GPH
Fluval FX2: 343 GPH circulation, rated for 475 GPH

In general, I like to have anywhere from 6x-10x turnover.  8-10 being "about right" for the fish I keep.
Tidal 110: 6.4x
Aquaclear 110: 7.1x
Tidal 75x2: 10x
Fluval 407: 3.5x
Fluval FX2: 4.9x

It's a bit frustrating how blatantly bad the media capacity of a filter can determine the "size" of tank it's meant for and basic things like output design, how it operates, size of the thing, and other basic design parameters are often missed.  I would never, EVER encourage anyone to run a single tidal 75 on this tank.  I love that filter, but it's just not made for this length of a tank.  Same thing with the 110's, the output flow is made for "on end" mounting and not designed to be a single HoB.  The Circulation is too condensed to one area.  So yeah, the pumps are giving you X amount of turnover, but it's only able to pull in such a small amount of water.  We have the exact same conundrum again, despite having a spraybar and having the flow path designed for the tank to operate as it should.  it can only pull in so much water, and it literally isn't able to suck in through the intake enough flow.  Diameter is too small or whatever it is, but it's like trying to drink a milkshake through a coffee stirrer.

https://www.tfhmagazine.com/articles/aquarium-basics/filtration

I think this is one of the most common, basic pieces of advice that is given to new hobbyists. 

A good rule of thumb is to select a filter with a flow rate at least six times the volume of the tank—so for a 30-gallon tank you want a flow rate of about 200 gph (gallons per hour).

Yet, we go to the store and think to ourselves.... "these companies know more than I do, they made the product."  I've seen so many people get a filter rated for a 10G aquarium for their 10G aquarium and I've seen just as many people given the advice to "choose the next size up.

An example of a brand that makes kits for their tanks that they sell... HUNDREDS of them per year.
10G Tank kit: 100 GPH (10x)
20G Tank kit: 125 GPH (6.3x)
40G Tank kit:  250 GPH (6.3x)

So it seems that certain companies do pay attention to specs and requirements!  I also think it's pretty weird the discrepancy between a filter rated for a 10 vs. a 20G for the above company.

107 --> 10G Recommended // 95 GPH = 10x
Stated for up to 30G aquarium = 3.2x

207 --> 20G Recommended // 121 GPH = 6x
Stated for up to 45G aquarium = 2.7x

307 --> 29G Recommended // 206 GPH = 7x
Stated for up to 70G aquarium = 2.9x

407 --> 40B Recommended // 245 GPH = 6x
Stated for up to 100G aquarium = 2.5x

And going back to the brand above, same thing.  A 10G rated filter states "up to 20G".  A 20G rated filter states "up to 30G".  So the real question is why do we always have these mixed messaged and confusion of what is the proper size filter for a tank. 

YES, stocking matters, but that comes down to adjustability, not a pump specification.

/endrant

Anyways....  The other issue I had to mend this week was my plants.  I will likely end up making a thread on the topic and asking for tests from users (again), but my pump head has been significantly underdosing fertilizer and I think that is why the plants have been a bit upset with me.  For starters, it takes anywhere from 2-4 pumps to get a first "full pump" from the pump head.  This is also the second pump head I have to use because the first one had a similar failure.  After visually noticing that things don't look quite right I grabbed my co-op measure and sprayed what should be 5 ml of fluid.  I barely for above 1 ml with that.  Needless to say... this might explain a lot of the recent issues with the sword plants!

I'll dose by hand now, measure everything, and I think I'm just done using pump heads.  I don't think I can order it without and I feel a bit frustrated that I will end up not using them / tossing them.  Not sure what to do moving forward, but I have been needing to order more ferts.

Hopefully everyone is enjoying the tanks, despite any issues.  It's been so fun to observing the fish with all of the changes and seeing how they behave.  I love seeing the shrimp, amanos and culls, out doing their thing. 

@nabokovfan87 what about a canister filter?  They seem to pack a lot of power, no?

On 10/16/2023 at 3:41 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Anyways....  The other issue I had to mend this week was my plants.  I will likely end up making a thread on the topic and asking for tests from users (again), but my pump head has been significantly underdosing fertilizer and I think that is why the plants have been a bit upset with me.  For starters, it takes anywhere from 2-4 pumps to get a first "full pump" from the pump head.  This is also the second pump head I have to use because the first one had a similar failure.  After visually noticing that things don't look quite right I grabbed my co-op measure and sprayed what should be 5 ml of fluid.  I barely for above 1 ml with that.  Needless to say... this might explain a lot of the recent issues with the sword plants!

I'll dose by hand now, measure everything, and I think I'm just done using pump heads.  I don't think I can order it without and I feel a bit frustrated that I will end up not using them / tossing them.  Not sure what to do moving forward, but I have been needing to order more ferts.

I broke up with the pumps awhile ago.  I just tilt the bottle, insert a pipette, and pull out my dose.  The issue with EG is that it crystallizes.  Nobody is going to take the time to clean the pump head every time they dose and so buildups and clogs are the norm with this product. 

On 10/16/2023 at 6:36 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

@nabokovfan87 what about a canister filter?  They seem to pack a lot of power, no?

That's what I have. The 407.

On 10/16/2023 at 6:36 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Nobody is going to take the time to clean the pump head every time they dose and so buildups and clogs are the norm with this product. 

I keep it clean. I wish I had kept my old pump/bottle. But yeah, I understand what you mean.

On 10/16/2023 at 7:09 AM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

I never use the pump head. Instead, I pour my Easy Green in a little cup and use a pipette so I know the actual ml going in. 

Makes me want to get a dosing bottle and just do things that way.

Screenshot_20231016-071548.png

On 10/16/2023 at 9:27 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Ohh.  I thought you used a Tidal.

It got retired.  yeah.  The modded one was beat up and held together with superglue (see tidal thread) and then the other one was unmodded and practically as beat up.  They both are well-used, but I needed to stop messing with issues/patches and it was more about trying to give the tank the best chance of success with being a "healthy, high tech, planted tank."

On 10/16/2023 at 9:27 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

image.png.179c43eec9cf4716e9d07a5314fd80e4.png

Good idea!  The aquarium co-op measure is a wonderful tool.  Buy two. I use em to feed frozen and meds and all kinds of things. 

• Like 1