Return of the Hobbyist: A Fishkeeper's Journey

Shadow

• 2 weeks later...

So many ideas running through my head of what I want to do with my next tank. I still do not have one in my bedroom as I don't spend a ton of time in there bar sleeping, so seems a waste. Thinking of having something small, but dunno. Just wanting to do something while I tinker with the fish room before I move the biggest tank yet in. Still going back n forth between 75g-100g, but will prob roll 75g as I always worry about weight and stand issues. Call it PTSD from moving in and racks not actually holding weights they claim they do. 😑 

Besides tanks, its full force footy season and my club is breaking my heart as usual. Work is nonstop and finally the fall temps are creeping in a little here in the Deep South. Now back to looking at feature fish for the current largest tank in the house...Discus are still the likely ones, but I am really starting to dig some of the more unique Angels I have seen recently. Imperial Tropicals showed some they pulled from their outdoor ponds, Super Red Koi. OMG. Incredibly vibrant! Really wish they'd sell some of them, but alas I don't think they will. 😞 

• Like 1

Big update and plans... @Odd Duck tagging you as I am in the same process as you are it seems lol. 

So when we moved to the new house last Spring, I basically just chucked racks together and added extra support(or so I thought @nabokovfan87 will remember my move well lol) or so I thought. Well, everything seems ok, but I can tell there is slight bowing...not much but its starting. Meaning this rack and the ones beside it likely need to be addressed in the upcoming months. Also, I use way too much power for this room, so I need to address consolidation practices now that I am learning more and am more comfortable as a hobbyist. 

My plan was to move into my next build asap...my 100 gal. But instead my next project(s) will be building wood racks that will support 1) 9x 10 gal breeding tanks for shrimp/nano fish 2) 9x 20 gal long & finally 3) one that supports a 100-150 gal tank with space on top for addition tanks of whatever. #1 & #2 will run off a sump system on each that will take away from the numerous filters I use. I also plan to add a main air supply for sponge filters in all tanks for both racks. My large tank will run on 2 canister filters and I will install airlines for that area as well. It will alleviate the amount of a) lights b) air pumps & c) filters. Lighting will be controlled off one light suspended above all the tanks instead of one on each. 

After that I will work on installing everything and then work on my water preparation spot which will be in the corner of the room. Planning on getting a 150 gal completely leak proof container and run a line from a water source where I will install a RO system just outside the room's window. Then when I need to pump new water in, I will crack the window and hook the hose up, pump and disconnect, close window back. Fresh RO water that way no more conditioning liquids and less stress on my back as the water in that will allow me to change water 2x in my room probably before refilling the container. I will have a large air stone inside it as well. All in all it should cut my power by about 30% in the room, keep me worry free as they will be on strong, sturdy racking systems & less stress on my back during water change time. Won't help me with the other 4 tanks in the house but I have sump pumps for them when I change. 🙂 

Thoughts on my plans? @Lennie @Fish Folk @Chick-In-Of-TheSea @Guppysnail @TheSwissAquarist

• Like 3

On 10/20/2023 at 1:20 AM, Shadow said:

Big update and plans... @Odd Duck tagging you as I am in the same process as you are it seems lol. 

So when we moved to the new house last Spring, I basically just chucked racks together and added extra support(or so I thought @nabokovfan87 will remember my move well lol) or so I thought. Well, everything seems ok, but I can tell there is slight bowing...not much but its starting. Meaning this rack and the ones beside it likely need to be addressed in the upcoming months. Also, I use way too much power for this room, so I need to address consolidation practices now that I am learning more and am more comfortable as a hobbyist. 

My plan was to move into my next build asap...my 100 gal. But instead my next project(s) will be building wood racks that will support 1) 9x 10 gal breeding tanks for shrimp/nano fish 2) 9x 20 gal long & finally 3) one that supports a 100-150 gal tank with space on top for addition tanks of whatever. #1 & #2 will run off a sump system on each that will take away from the numerous filters I use. I also plan to add a main air supply for sponge filters in all tanks for both racks. My large tank will run on 2 canister filters and I will install airlines for that area as well. It will alleviate the amount of a) lights b) air pumps & c) filters. Lighting will be controlled off one light suspended above all the tanks instead of one on each. 

After that I will work on installing everything and then work on my water preparation spot which will be in the corner of the room. Planning on getting a 150 gal completely leak proof container and run a line from a water source where I will install a RO system just outside the room's window. Then when I need to pump new water in, I will crack the window and hook the hose up, pump and disconnect, close window back. Fresh RO water that way no more conditioning liquids and less stress on my back as the water in that will allow me to change water 2x in my room probably before refilling the container. I will have a large air stone inside it as well. All in all it should cut my power by about 30% in the room, keep me worry free as they will be on strong, sturdy racking systems & less stress on my back during water change time. Won't help me with the other 4 tanks in the house but I have sump pumps for them when I change. 🙂 

Thoughts on my plans? @Lennie @Fish Folk @Chick-In-Of-TheSea @Guppysnail @TheSwissAquarist

When the stuff gets a lil technical like racks, system building etc. Im not great at those. These stuff are usually covered by my dad as his profession helps him a lot to design the best way. He designed everything for the fish room. That was a big help. I instead got the tanks custom made, scape, plant, cycle and stock. Im more of the hobbyist one here

I hope other peeps may help. 

Fingers-crossed for your new project! 🤞🏼

• Love 1

On 10/11/2023 at 8:11 PM, Shadow said:

So many ideas running through my head of what I want to do with my next tank. I still do not have one in my bedroom as I don't spend a ton of time in there bar sleeping, so seems a waste. Thinking of having something small, but dunno. Just wanting to do something while I tinker with the fish room before I move the biggest tank yet in. Still going back n forth between 75g-100g, but will prob roll 75g as I always worry about weight and stand issues. Call it PTSD from moving in and racks not actually holding weights they claim they do. 😑 

Get a 60 and grow some stems? Planted, dutch-style tank? Shrimp?

On 10/19/2023 at 3:20 PM, Shadow said:

2) 9x 20 gal long

If you don't already have these tanks, be warned... my local petco stopped selling them.

• Sad 1

On 10/19/2023 at 3:20 PM, Shadow said:

I'm not sure how you can route things, but I really like the layout that simply betta did for her rack.

Drain setup:

Air setup:

I've seen it done a lot of different ways, but the reason I like this is because you can literally move the rack and it's all one unit.  Works well long term.

Essentially:

Water in from RODI for top offs.  Storage on the top shelf to drip in during water changes.  Bottom shelf is a sump for the sake of filtration on the whole rack.  Each row goes to the drain, that drains down to the sump, pumps back up to circulate. All runs through overflows and "just works".

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

On 10/19/2023 at 5:53 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I'm not sure how you can route things, but I really like the layout that simply betta did for her rack.

Drain setup:

Air setup:

I've seen it done a lot of different ways, but the reason I like this is because you can literally move the rack and it's all one unit.  Works well long term.

Essentially:

Water in from RODI for top offs.  Storage on the top shelf to drip in during water changes.  Bottom shelf is a sump for the sake of filtration on the whole rack.  Each row goes to the drain, that drains down to the sump, pumps back up to circulate. All runs through overflows and "just works".

Yea that is basically what I am going to go for...I am just not sold on the small racks I have. The big one I have already with shelves may instead house all the breeder tanks and sump. Then I will build the others for my big tank and other fun stuff. Just trying to be a little more conservative with my space, power and back health. 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s an interesting journey, getting deep into aquatics. The first leg of the journey is about establishing the overall domain. Whether it’s just a couple of aquariums or a whole house full, decisions focus on figuring that out.

I think there eventually comes a time where you find a sweet spot… a balance. After that point, decisions all revolve around (1) improving (2) maintaining, and (3) streamlining that level.

Beyond this… life happens. Big moves reset things. Focuses shift. Budgets vary. Eventually there comes an atrophy. Something has to cut back.

I’d say: enjoy the journey wherever you’re at. Jim Cumming in 🇨🇦 🍁 has (last I heard) _thousands and thousands_ of gallons of large aquariums in his basement. He breeds huge Central American and South American species. But he tells of a time when his entire hobby had to be relegated to one closet in his house in which he bred Killifish in tiny aquariums.

Your build looks great! (I am not jealous, having absolutely no desire for any new tanks, racks, space, etc). Enjoy your journey! Keep going …

• Like 3

On 10/19/2023 at 9:26 PM, Fish Folk said:

It’s an interesting journey, getting deep into aquatics. The first leg of the journey is about establishing the overall domain. Whether it’s just a couple of aquariums or a whole house full, decisions focus on figuring that out.

I think there eventually comes a time where you find a sweet spot… a balance. After that point, decisions all revolve around (1) improving (2) maintaining, and (3) streamlining that level.

Beyond this… life happens. Big moves reset things. Focuses shift. Budgets vary. Eventually there comes an atrophy. Something has to cut back.

I’d say: enjoy the journey wherever you’re at. Jim Cumming in 🇨🇦 🍁 has (last I heard) _thousands and thousands_ of gallons of large aquariums in his basement. He breeds huge Central American and South American species. But he tells of a time when his entire hobby had to be relegated to one closet in his house in which he bred Killifish in tiny aquariums.

Your build looks great! (I am not jealous, having absolutely no desire for any new tanks, racks, space, etc). Enjoy your journey! Keep going …

Oh I definitely am...just with the bowing issues, think its time to review and reset into a very permanent and VERY STABLE set up. I also would like a quicker way to prepare water without having 6x 5 gal Home Depot buckets with air stones going inside constantly taking up my open floor space. 

On 10/20/2023 at 1:50 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

That’s probably a pretty good idea if you’re doing 9 x 20 longs - less screws and you can achieve scale quickly. 
Can’t wait to see what you do with your new rack! 

Not sure if I will go with 20 longs but prob will as I have 4 already...just need 5 more for the initial rack I want to set up. Will give me three shelves holding three tanks each. Won't be quite as long as what MD/FSM are doing there but about 3/4 I would say. 

• Like 1

Definitely don't have the space for this big of a set up but I think I have a plan for doing a smaller version of this for my room for the big tank and some others. Then I can use my racking system for my breeding projects. Def have a blue print going in my head now. This is a super cool build tho by MD and FSM!! 🙂 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2023 at 4:45 PM, Shadow said:

Definitely don't have the space for this big of a set up but I think I have a plan for doing a smaller version of this for my room for the big tank and some others. Then I can use my racking system for my breeding projects. Def have a blue print going in my head now. This is a super cool build tho by MD and FSM!! 🙂 

It looks great.  Given the "ground movement events" that might happen here it's not something I think I'd trust myself in this location.  There was a stream we had where we had discussed ways to help / strengthen the structure for things like that, but ultimately it may not be just worth the cost or worth compared to other methods. 

Steenfott also has a big fishroom he built with a very similar method.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2023 at 1:09 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

It looks great.  Given the "ground movement events" that might happen here it's not something I think I'd trust myself in this location.  There was a stream we had where we had discussed ways to help / strengthen the structure for things like that, but ultimately it may not be just worth the cost or worth compared to other methods. 

Steenfott also has a big fishroom he built with a very similar method.

Yeah I think I am going to do my own version, I also plan to use a stack of blocks in the middle of the section...something they did not do. Just extra stability. I will feel more comfortable that way. Yea, we don't have earthquakes here...its hurricanes we have to worry about and power outages resulting. One of the reasons I am making this thing as efficient as possible. So I can run it off an emergency generator if need be. Does Steenfott have a build video or just a walk through?

Oh and @nabokovfan87, not sure I am using them or not for what I am doing now, but my Petco had 5x 20 L from Aqueon. I asked the fish section person, she said she thought it might just be your store that they were planning on keeping them in stock. 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2023 at 12:27 PM, Shadow said:

Oh and @nabokovfan87, not sure I am using them or not for what I am doing now, but my Petco had 5x 20 L from Aqueon. I asked the fish section person, she said she thought it might just be your store that they were planning on keeping them in stock. 

Good to know.  Yeah, I wanted to go check the other one, but didn't end up making it there.

On 10/25/2023 at 12:27 PM, Shadow said:

Does Steenfott have a build video or just a walk through?

Honestly it's one of those channels or things that is so difficult to search for a video from months ago, let alone years. I'll try to find one though.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rack is nearly complete...have some LED shop lights that TN Aquatics recommended coming and then my Fluvals on the shrimp breeders will move to the top tanks on the rack. Air system works great...def recommend the one ACO sells. Works like a charm! Next step will be breaking down my older tanks except for the kitty one...still torn on breaking it down atm as they all seem super comfy in it. Think it will be the last one that goes before I begin bringing in my big boy tanks for the two walls left. Have an RO system and water containment tank that hold 55 gal coming. Will start preparing and re-mineralizing the water before using it as I found out recently the small town municipality I moved into does a month long water line flush from Nov 27-Dec 22. Def need to get it installed before then. In the meantime I am testing my water before adding to any of my tanks for ammonia especially as that seems the biggest worry from videos I have watched in the past warning of these situations. Anyways...enjoy the video of the rack/air system I finished today & the Waterbox Eden 40 I scaped day before yesterday! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 11/18/2023 at 8:39 PM, Kaiju said:

@Shadow I saw this forum and was very entranced by your story and these very creative ideas, I wish you and your tanks good luck! I hope again, all goes well! 

Cheers @Kaiju! That's why I started it, so I could share my journey from the start. All started in my tiny room of my old house with a 10 gal rimless that went pear shaped by the end and taught me A LOT of hard lessons. My move was rushed and didn't set up my office/fish room as efficiently as I wanted as like many of us I have MTS and wanted them up NOW! 🤣 That mistake taught me patience. All good things come to those that PLAN AND WAIT. I also have had a lot of help along the way...big shouts to those in here that have assisted(will prob miss some): @nabokovfan87(literally talked me off a ledge the day after I moved into my new house) @Guppysnail @Lennie @Chick-In-Of-TheSea @Fish Folk @Colu @Odd Duck @TheSwissAquarist amongst others...so thanks y'all! But really, if not for @Dean’s Fishroom & @Cory, their YT tutorials(I CANNOT STRESS HOW BENFICIAL THE ACO YT MEMBERSHIP IS...the ted talks alone are worth it) among a couple other YTers like Prime Time Aquatics, MD Tanks, Fish Shop Matt, Sydney's Angels, Steenfott Aquatics, TN Aquatics that have really taught me. 

Still a lot to go here in the fish room, but will continue documenting my trials and tribulations so to speak for all to enjoy, but to learn from as well. 

NEXT WEEK: RO System install & water containment area. This will be the eventual beginnings of an auto water change system that I will design/install at a later date. I have a professional plumber that will be coming to assist me here so I don't accidentally flood this house! LOL! 

Until next time!!! 

Edited by Shadow
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 4

@Shadow, yeah @nabokovfan87 is very insightful when it comes to this stuff. I am starting a breeding project soon (if you have any ideas or recommendations DM me, ill make a journal about it) and he/she helped me A LOT, I'm very grateful to him/her. But the others you mentioned seem very very experience and I'd love to learn from them too! I recommend watching people like FERRET WONDERLAND, Fish for Thought, Serpadesign, and Dr. Plants! Again, best luck and wishes to you! I'll definitely stay tuned!

Edited by Kaiju

On 11/19/2023 at 8:56 AM, Kaiju said:

@Shadow, yeah @nabokovfan87 is very insightful when it comes to this stuff. I am starting a breeding project soon (if you have any ideas or recommendations DM me, ill make a journal about it) and he/she helped me A LOT, I'm very grateful to him. But the others you mentioned seem very very experience and I'd love to learn from them too! I recommend watching people like FERRET WONDERLAND, Fish for Thought, Serpadesign, and Dr. Plants! Again, best luck and wishes to you! I'll definitely stay tuned!

Yea I watch Serpa a lot! Mainly bcuz I am going to build a Paludarium as my last project complete with a weather system that will produce thunderstorms, monsoons, etc. Plan to have vampire crabs and some other things in it. Maybe them and chameleons. Dunno...that is a long ways down the line, but still beginning my research through him. Best of luck on your endeavors and with breeding, just give yourself a minute in the hobby to see what really catches you. With me its been kitties to start, but I am keeping them in a all cat tank as they seem to like it the most. But my breeding rack has the neocaridinas I started with(all super successful including my Orange Hybrids) on the bottom, 1 feature tank to move some of my current fish to(my Odessa Barbs) in the middle but the rest will house QT/Hospital tanks(2x), tetra breeding tanks(will share my setup I learn from Randy Carey via the ACO ted talk on egg scattering fish), Apisto breeding tanks(once I get my RO system done...I did set up my first tank with RO water I am re-mineralizing but still researching them hopefully @Fish Folk can give me some tipperoos lol) and maybe 1 other project TBD at a later date. Good thing with a rack you can always move/change. I have also began a local fish society for the Gulf Coast Region on FB and have about 40 aquarists in my region already in...pretty hyped to get a network so we can eventually have a swap meet like Green River in Chitown! Anyways, off to meet my gf and do Sunday Jazz Brunch! 

Oh n @Lennie! My whiptails are AMAZING!!! 😍 They are such chonkers now!! Question: one is smaller, lighter colored and has a distinctive line down its face...the other two are darker red and have a less pronounced line on face...is this a sexing marker? If so, what are they?

Edited by Shadow
  • Like 1

On 11/19/2023 at 3:46 PM, Shadow said:

Cheers @Kaiju! That's why I started it, so I could share my journey from the start. All started in my tiny room of my old house with a 10 gal rimless that went pear shaped by the end and taught me A LOT of hard lessons. My move was rushed and didn't set up my office/fish room as efficiently as I wanted as like many of us I have MTS and wanted them up NOW! 🤣 That mistake taught me patience. All good things come to those that PLAN AND WAIT. I also have had a lot of help along the way...big shouts to those in here that have assisted(will prob miss some): @nabokovfan87(literally talked me off a ledge the day after I moved into my new house) @Guppysnail @Lennie @Chick-In-Of-TheSea @Fish Folk @Colu @Odd Duck @TheSwissAquarist amongst others...so thanks y'all! But really, if not for @Dean’s Fishroom & @Cory, their YT tutorials(I CANNOT STRESS HOW BENFICIAL THE ACO YT MEMBERSHIP IS...the ted talks alone are worth it) among a couple other YTers like Prime Time Aquatics, MD Tanks, Fish Shop Matt, Sydney's Angels, Steenfott Aquatics, TN Aquatics that have really taught me. 

Still a lot to go here in the fish room, but will continue documenting my trials and tribulations so to speak for all to enjoy, but to learn from as well. 

NEXT WEEK: RO System install & water containment area. This will be the eventual beginnings of an auto water change system that I will design/install at a later date. I have a professional plumber that will be coming to assist me here so I don't accidentally flood this house! LOL! 

Until next time!!! 

It’s been a pleasure following you through your journey! Way to go! 

• Love 1

On 11/10/2023 at 2:20 AM, Shadow said:

Pics from around the house of fish in the tanks...well and a cherry shrimp lol

20231109_153656.jpg

20231109_153623.jpg

20231109_153602.jpg

20231109_153545.jpg

20231109_152415.jpg

20231109_152632.jpg

20231109_152551.jpg

20231109_153241.jpg

20231109_153358.jpg

20231109_152820.jpg

20231109_152904.jpg

20231109_152850.jpg

20231109_152937.jpg

20231109_152828.jpg

20231109_153113.jpg

Great pics bud. 

On 11/19/2023 at 6:10 PM, Shadow said:

Oh n @Lennie! My whiptails are AMAZING!!! 😍 They are such chonkers now!! Question: one is smaller, lighter colored and has a distinctive line down its face...the other two are darker red and have a less pronounced line on face...is this a sexing marker? If so, what are they?

If you ask me besides more rounded body shape, I noticed a more pointy or wide head shape between different sexes but Idk which is which.

the only exact way for me to say is, under right conditions, male grows those tiny spiky bristles around his nose like a beard while females only start to have a rounder belly carrying eggs

Example of a male with bristles ( if that is what they are called, I am not sure)

7F8694BC-FF9A-4A5A-B44D-74DF6D581C7F.jpeg.cc499f794f132586f750b783b1606fb0.jpeg

my females and males are all the same color. They look better red when they grow up tho. Also  light plays a role I believe.

juveniles they may look a bit patchy. Also another possibility is being hybrids if they are adult size

Example of a female

BFE83817-8E57-4E44-A8FC-255AE64BCE9E.jpeg.3072fe6b66a0e6db81bf1685fece66a7.jpeg

when I got a group of mine, one had issues growing for real. No deworming worked. It was skinny and very small while others were almost adult age.  I had to feed my tank sera baktotabs which is an antibiotic food for other fish. After that, it recovered and increased in size and weight ending up being a healthy adult today like its siblings!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

@Shadow Thanks for the advice! I plan to have it done by February! I will definitely show the community after its done! I plan breeding Orange Sakura and Orange Rili, by the way, I saw the pictures above and those fish look awesome! That betta caught my eye the most! So unique, with the white tips on its fins! The angelfish also look super healthy and attractive! But that honey gourami was just begging to be in the picture practically, looked like it was posing! Awesome fish and again, best of luck!

Edited by Kaiju