Return of the Hobbyist: A Fishkeeper's Journey

Shadow

Well, week one down for the new(old) job and lemme tell y'all, I am not as young as I use to be lol. I am pooped, good thing I am off tomorrow!

Good news, I got home before my shrimp tanks' lights went out(this time of year I have them on a short light cycle as the temps are too high) and found in my 3 oldest tanks containing Blue Rili x Blue Jelly, Orange Sakura x Orange Pumpkin & Yellow Golden Back are all carrying at least one buried female! Super hyped to confirm it with my own eyes finally, although with Rilis its really hard to see at times. My two newest shrimp breeding tanks, blue carbon rili & green rili, are both doing great but cannot tell if there are any buried females as of yet or not. Time will tell. 

I will be using my time during my off day to rest up, but I will be resetting my Kitty City tank, removing all the hornwort as its practically dead and the ugly looking java ferns, replacing them with more java ferns that look amazing I got yesterday from Co Op & a few other longer vegetative plants for the back of the tank. I will be adding the hornwort into the plant tank to see if I can get it to rebound with CO2 and a little TLC. If not, I will just chunk it and consider it my enemy in the plant world as I have ZERO luck with it LOL! 

All the other tanks are right as rain. I will say that the Angel aggression is something I am watching. The seem to be starting to segregate to areas of the tank, so I will see if that helps at all. If not, I might build another 20 gal somewhere and take 3-4 of them out to go in it. Also, the OG Babies tank(my OG OG tank) has this weird cloud throughout it since I dosed yesterday with Easy Green, I think I read it sometimes happens. Tested the tanks as I do every day and all parameters are spot on perfect. So not too worried, just seems odd as it hasn't happened before when I dosed. 

To end, I am looking at the big tank and maybe a week or two from now, I will do the first canister maintenance and hope I don't soak the living room floor in the process. I have done it with my other canister tanks, but its always nervy as I am afraid the seal will slip and when I restart it will flood everywhere. 😆 I guess we will see. Anyways, hope you all have had a great weekend! 

• Like 2

On 5/21/2023 at 2:15 PM, Shadow said:

To end, I am looking at the big tank and maybe a week or two from now, I will do the first canister maintenance and hope I don't soak the living room floor in the process. I have done it with my other canister tanks, but its always nervy as I am afraid the seal will slip and when I restart it will flood everywhere. 😆

😂

Hopefully not too much of a hassle!

• Haha 1

Nice work today done on Kitty City and IMO, it looks great! Super happy with how it turned out with the rework. Also, I am noticing that out of all the fry from the Blue Dragon Mother that died(13 remaining), 7 are males, 6 are females. I am thinking of moving some of the males into the planted tank with the Odessa Barbs, Siamese Algae Eaters and the one male Dalmation Molly, so he can have some buds. It will also alleviate the harassment of the females in there and keep them healthier I think. Thoughts? 

Oh and here's the new revamped Kitty City!! 😺

20230522_123012.jpg

20230522_124413.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/22/2023 at 10:59 AM, Shadow said:

Also, I am noticing that out of all the fry from the Blue Dragon Mother that died(13 remaining), 7 are males, 6 are females. I am thinking of moving some of the males into the planted tank with the Odessa Barbs, Siamese Algae Eaters and the one male Dalmation Molly, so he can have some buds. It will also alleviate the harassment of the females in there and keep them healthier I think. Thoughts? 

moving at least 3 males should work well for you.  I moved 2 and got away with it. 3 was much easier for them to pester each other instead of just one on one combat all day.  The amount of swordtail male shimmy dancing all day long is ridiculous. 😂

What is your take and view on backgrounds for the tank.  Do you prefer to black it out or opaque or leave it open as it is currently?

Ohhhhh @nabokovfan87 @Guppysnail BIG MOMMA DROPPED! In the OG Babies tank...the 3 OG GL Corys, I assume there is one female and two males as one is GIANT as I said and the other two are more normal sized. Well, I looked this morning so nothing was there before work. Well, get home from work to this...

Screenshot_20230523_171751_Gallery.jpg.9550463677fb26671a971c7b4f9058e3.jpg

Only thing is its in my guppy tank and there is prob ZERO chance that if these are viable(they look it to me but I am no expert lol) and fry come out, Momma Guppy very close to popping will snack them up big time! Wonder what I should do. 🤔

Also, HALP @Guppysnail! I have a million ramshorn babies in my OG tank as well. Guess its time to sell them lol! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

My guppies ate the Cory eggs right off the glass. 

Ramshorns and Malaysian trumpet snails are two snail that creep me out. 🤣 they just reproduce at such a crazy rate. My bladders are steady and controllable. Ramshorns I swear will have a million babies without ever needing a drop of food 😱 

• Sad 2

On 5/23/2023 at 8:30 PM, Guppysnail said:

My guppies ate the Cory eggs right off the glass. 

Ramshorns and Malaysian trumpet snails are two snail that creep me out. 🤣 they just reproduce at such a crazy rate. My bladders are steady and controllable. Ramshorns I swear will have a million babies without ever needing a drop of food 😱 

Yea I am culling a lot of ramshorns currently, just a bunch in there so as I see them climbing the glass, I get em lol. As far as the eggs, I think they haven't messed with them as I feed everyone well in that tank as its so well established and also has a ton of snails for the waste plus my Amano crew. 

• Like 2

🚨 NEW PROJECT(s) ALERT! 🚨

As my OG Babies tank has the lone remaining adult female Albino King Cobra giant as all get out(I am thinking a bunch of fry when she drops) and my juveniles(1 female Albino and 12 Blue Dragons...half male/half female) are getting big, I am starting to research, build a patio guppy pond for culling less desirable colorations from my breeding project. I am trying to get Albino Blue Dragons from Albino Yellow King Cobras and Blue Dragons. Also wouldnt mind seeing some standard color variations between the KC & BDs. So, that will be next and after that I am setting up a 10K rated 8 ft rack along one free wall in my room. I will custom build 3/4-1" thick reinforced plywood insert to go on top of the cage shelving on these currently. Once that is set up, I will begin a 35-60 gal kitty tank. I will also add another larger tank on some other shelf with more shrimp breeding tanks on top and bottom shelves. I will then prepare to install water temp coolers for those tanks and prepare the water for caridina breeding. Besides that, not sure what else I want to get into. I have 4x rimless 10 gal I might sell as I dont think I like the smaller tanks as they are not as easily stocked and not enough room for the fish to move about. I might use one for a culling indoor tank for guppies and one as a QT tank. 

In other news, on this nice off day, I had my new privacy fence built around the backyard, so Miss Molly my hairy little Pekingese sister, an roam around freely. Also, noticing all the colorations on the Blue Dragon juveniles. One has a red mutation on dorsal fin which is very interesting. I am thinking of moving him to my Plant Tank to hang with the Odessas & lone Dalmation Molly male that had both his females die for some unknown reason after receiving in a shipment(one died a week after, the other 3 weeks...both were normal acting and died without warning). Also, all my shrimp tanks seem to be great for neocaridina breeding. I have gotten their GH n TDS right in the sweet zone bar my Yellow Goldbacks, although its very close. Think I will need 6-8 drops more of the MORE brand GH up. Really highly rate their products although the conversions are metric, so it take a min to figure out which is the right amount. I started a little at a time and retested GH 2 days after to allow water to level. Noticed with 4-8 drops it would bring GH in a 5 gal up 1 degree. So I used good ole math from there and always added in separate water container when I added water to tanks from evaporation. Right now the temps seem ok-ish...about 75 in each. I will eventually invest in a couple larger water coolers that service multi tanks but right now I am using a 120$ one and a home depot bucket to cool water down for additions that way that help the temps some as well.

20230524_122910.jpg.666f639b3be878ecd117142ad3a99fa8.jpg

At this point, I add the GH drops with each pitcher of water I add to each tank so I am getting the right amount I want in each. After working these parameters I have noticed now 3 of 5 tanks are berried & I expect the two newest ones to not be far behind. I am also prepping two new tanks which will home Black Rose & Snowball neos in each. Only coloration I have yet are reds...I am thinking red rili instead of Snowballs, but def getting the Black Roses.

20230524_122847.jpg.7c14a04f38e215a64505b40bb1885dbd.jpg

My goal here is to have some really great homebred neos for my friends and this community, others I am apart of. Don't want to make a ton off any of it, just help other hobbyists similarly to how others on here and elsewhere have been so kind to me.  If there are any neo experts that want to look at my numbers, I have read 200-400 TDS and 4-8 GH for neos, but I am trying to keep my tanks at 150-300 TDS and 6-7 GH. 

When I start caridinas...that will be the big time watch. Lower GH and TDS, better water, low low PH. I am investing in a RO system and larger temperature control for this once the big shelving is in. At that point too, I will try the large rain barrel design for water prep/changes. Then my garden will go in ground somewhere on this side of the house for waste water fertilization. :)

FYI, I have shouted out @Guppysnail @nabokovfan87 a few times but others to say thanks to are @Lennie & @Chick-In-Of-TheSea, these community members have really helped me greatly...especially you Naboko. Your DMs have really been essential to me alleviating mistakes by the tons. 😁

Can't wait to share more of this journey with you all!! Have a great rest of your week! It's HUMPDAY for many of you, HYPE! 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Here's a little updated look at the biggun' aka The Beast! It's really starting to come together and pop off plant wise. Its been about 4 weeks or so since starting, the tank, as stocked as it is, runs minimal nitrates most days & cycled super fast. I started CO2 on it about 2 weeks or so ago(its hidden away inside the tank stand...I used my Dremel and cut space out to fit it in the shelves inside, then drilled holes for airlines) and have to say, its really looking good. Anyways, here ya go! 

• Love 2

Well...as of today...I am going to Aquashella-Daytona in November. Decided, why not. Trip isn't super expensive and can be done over a 4 day weekend. So, kinda hyped to see who all I can run into there! 🙂 

Who's thinking about going? 

• Like 1

Quick question, maybe @Guppysnail can answer, I have figured out now easily what the sexes are of all the Blue Dragon juveniles I had at my old house. Thing is, the males are slightly more than the females. In the tank now, I have 2 older guppies(1 male/1 female) and 13 juveniles(7 males/6 females). Just seems like they are going to harass the poor girls to death. Haven't gotten the outside cull pond going yet, will be a month or so more I think. I might start a small tank for the males in my room maybe...thoughts?

• Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 4:07 AM, Guppysnail said:

@Shadow since that lopsided numbers are temporary I wouldn’t worry about it. I’ve been in that position. While not ideal it’s temporary so I would not go through the hassle of setting a new tank. 

Thank you so much! Was just worried I'd be stressing them too bad. Hopefully by summer's end, my outside pond on the screened porch will become a reality. Appreciate it as always. 🙂 

• Like 1

On 5/31/2023 at 8:39 PM, Shadow said:

Just seems like they are going to harass the poor girls to death. Haven't gotten the outside cull pond going yet, will be a month or so more I think. I might start a small tank for the males in my room maybe...thoughts?

If you are long term breeding, it's not a bad idea to have a bachelor's tank.

Luckily, it's very easy to see which line a male is, so you can combine males from different lines, let them grow out, and then select the best looking males to put back with females.

This makes it much easier to control the ratios and also keep genetic diversity (males in the bachelor tanks aren't getting everyone pregnant, so genes are "held in reserve" so to speak.

Better to breed a great uncle back to 5th gen removed nieces, than have siblings breeding.

If you aren't long term breed, I would follow Guppysnail's advice since you're going to have a pond soon.

• Like 2

On 6/3/2023 at 1:07 AM, Torrey said:

If you are long term breeding, it's not a bad idea to have a bachelor's tank.

Luckily, it's very easy to see which line a male is, so you can combine males from different lines, let them grow out, and then select the best looking males to put back with females.

This makes it much easier to control the ratios and also keep genetic diversity (males in the bachelor tanks aren't getting everyone pregnant, so genes are "held in reserve" so to speak.

Better to breed a great uncle back to 5th gen removed nieces, than have siblings breeding.

If you aren't long term breed, I would follow Guppysnail's advice since you're going to have a pond soon.

Great advice, Torrey! Thanks so much!

• Like 1

BIG NEWS in the fish room!

Out of my 8 neocaridina breedings tanks: Blue Rili x Blue Jelly(special project to create line), Orange Sakura x Pumpkin(#2 special project to create line), Blue Carbon Rili, Green Rili, Yellow Goldback, Black Rose & Snowballs, I have the first two listed with actual babies confirmed this morning. All over glass and eating on shrimp lollies, other foliage. Super excited to see what variations I can get from these, the others I will cull and move to a skittles tank. Then will breed from the selected ones until I can get Blue Jelly Rili & Orange Rili. Plus this morning I began to put together my biggest project yet, a 8 ft shelving unit graded at 10000 pounds. I reinforced already and will be getting 3/4" marine grade red oak plywood inserts made that will grade it way higher. This shelving will house my largest tank in the fish room which is a 55 gal breeder that will be turned into a river feature tank with rainbows of many varieties. Below it will be a sump system that will consistently water change the very top shelf of caridina breeders to ensure proper temperature and water parameters constantly on all. This project likely will take several months to accomplish both money and time wise, but excited to share the journey with you all! 🙂 Hope everyone is having a great week!

Whatcha think? @nabokovfan87 @Guppysnail @Chick-In-Of-TheSea @Lennie 😀

IMG_20230607_115419_654.jpg

IMG_20230607_115415_807.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

On 6/7/2023 at 1:00 PM, Shadow said:

Out of my 8 neocaridina breedings tanks: Blue Rili x Blue Jelly(special project to create line), Orange Sakura x Pumpkin(#2 special project to create line), Blue Carbon Rili, Green Rili, Yellow Goldback, Black Rose & Snowballs, I have the first two listed with actual babies confirmed this morning. All over glass and eating on shrimp lollies, other foliage. Super excited to see what variations I can get from these, the others I will cull and move to a skittles tank. Then will breed from the selected ones until I can get Blue Jelly Rili & Orange Rili. Plus this morning I began to put together my biggest project yet, a 8 ft shelving unit graded at 10000 pounds. I reinforced already and will be getting 3/4" marine grade red oak plywood inserts made that will grade it way higher. This shelving will house my largest tank in the fish room which is a 55 gal breeder that will be turned into a river feature tank with rainbows of many varieties. Below it will be a sump system that will consistently water change the very top shelf of caridina breeders to ensure proper temperature and water parameters constantly on all. This project likely will take several months to accomplish both money and time wise, but excited to share the journey with you all! 🙂 Hope everyone is having a great week!

Very exciting @Shadow! Looking forward to following along! 🦐 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 6/7/2023 at 8:00 PM, Shadow said:

I am working on my new fishroom too!

Exciting 😄

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 6/7/2023 at 10:00 AM, Shadow said:

Whatcha think?

Firstly, congratulations on the baby shrimp, that's wonderful.

It would be really cool to see that 55 turn into a 75G, especially for rainbows. Maybe that 55 becomes the sump?  You mentioned it in other places, looking for that sump setup, so I know you're still mulling those things over.

For shrimp tanks, I don't know how good it is to have tank linked to tank and so on. I can't say it's bad in anyway because you're dramatically increasing dilution. For breeding and selling of breeders I think isolated tanks with flow through drains is probably your safest best.

In my case, one tank gets worms, I notice it, they all do. I would had for one parasite or med or bacterial issue from something to see that spread to all of the other tanks.

On 6/7/2023 at 10:04 AM, Lennie said:

I am working on my new fishroom too!

That journal thread should show up annnnny day now.

image.gif.ed3450568b1b71fbcacc6eb8e3338196.gif

• Haha 3

On 6/7/2023 at 1:06 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Firstly, congratulations on the baby shrimp, that's wonderful.

It would be really cool to see that 55 turn into a 75G, especially for rainbows. Maybe that 55 becomes the sump?  You mentioned it in other places, looking for that sump setup, so I know you're still mulling those things over.

For shrimp tanks, I don't know how good it is to have tank linked to tank and so on. I can't say it's bad in anyway because you're dramatically increasing dilution. For breeding and selling of breeders I think isolated tanks with flow through drains is probably your safest best.

In my case, one tank gets worms, I notice it, they all do. I would had for one parasite or med or bacterial issue from something to see that spread to all of the other tanks.

That journal thread should show up annnnny day now.

image.gif.ed3450568b1b71fbcacc6eb8e3338196.gif

Well I got this one cheaper, might use it for something else if all fails. But definitely hyped to get something bigger for my main tank in my fish room. Been wanting rainbows for a while now, so pretty stoked to be getting started. 

Also, excited to see Lennie's new room! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/8/2023 at 9:20 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

You have to be careful if breeding. Shrimplets can fit through the tiniest of holes and next thing you know, all the tanks are producing wild/brown shrimps.

When I first started my skittles colony a few years ago I noticed about a 25% brown wild type and clear population. 
Over time the wilds and clears have dwindled to where I get excited when I see them. Now they throw colors much more intense than my original low color group. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2