What to breed in a 55g?

Canuck AquaTropix

Hmm, they are abundant because maybe that is what people in your area keep the most?  Might be worth reconsidering if that is in fact the popular type of fish in your area.  If that was the case I would do a tropheus species.

If not you might need to do some recon with members from your local fish club to get a pulse of what is really missing from your area if in fact there is an unserved species you could work with.

1 hour ago, Mudkicker said:

I'll have a spare 55g available soon and it would be nice to ustilze it as breeding project so that I can make some money to pay for what I spend on the hobby.  African Cichlids are very abundant in my area so that is out of the question.  

I'd like to hear your suggestions.  Thanks!

I'd talk to the owners of the local shops, and ask them what they'd want and be willing to buy. You need to know that in advance, and make sure it's something you'd want to breed otherwise selling online is your only option, and then you'd have more options. 

Super red bristle nose colony or maybe a colony of multies, but you said Africans are popular in your area so you could do a type of peacocks. 

I take in about 6-12 super red bristle nose fry to my LFS every 2 weeks. And my store gives me a solid price and it pays for all of my frozen food and offsets more expensive fish for breeding projects. 

Edited by FrostiesFishes

Discus, also you could divide the 55 up in 2 "chambers" and breed 2 pairs of angelfish (one pair in each chamber) or one pair of discus in one chamber and the other one angelfish. 

Also you could breed goldfish. If your looking for a challenge you could always do blood parrots

@Mudkicker they breed in caves, I doubt another fish could get in the cave to get after the eggs. I pull the fry and grow them up in a separate tank till they are large enough to return to the 55. As for other fish to go with plecos, Just for ease you could get just about  any type of livebearer. typically put a pair/trio in and some type of floating plants and feed and forget. It’s really about your effort input. You could do angelfish but most people myself including would tell you to get a group of 6-8 juv fish and grow them up and wait for a pair to form and sell off the rest. You’ll need to do some homework on what your interested in. 

15 hours ago, Mudkicker said:

I think I'd like to try a guppy colony.  Which variety though? 

With guppies especially, get a colony going that is something YOU want to look at. My usual suggestion is: what's your favorite color? Got two favorite colors? Look and see if that exists.  Got a fin shape you like? If you don't  already have a set answer for this, have a look around, you'd be surprised just how many different shapes there are in guppies. Get a shape you find appealing. Get that combo and begin breeding from there, culling and selectively breeding as needed to maintain your line.

Find a shape you really want, but it isn't in the color you want? Well there you go, that's your breeding project, you're on the way to creating a new line of guppies! 

• Like 1

So I guess before anybody chipping in his or her favorite fish to breed.... what do you want to accomplish? Something easy to breed, something difficult to breed? Do you want to turn out numbers or something that is difficult to unlock? Are you interested to sell a fish for a dollar or 10 or 100? 

I think if you narrow it down to what you want to achieve, it will be easier to figure out which fish will help you do that.