Other passionate hobbies

2 hours ago, akconklin said:

That's so awesome! My brother is a big decorator too. His is all inside the house though. 

I remember touring a property in Ohio (near Union City, OH/IN) with my in-laws years ago, that was all decorated. Being from FL, driving past the lights in cold weather with snow on the ground, it was a magical experience. I'm sure you bring lots of joy to lots of people. 

I've always put lights up because I like them, and my mom always put some decorations out when I was a kid. then, when she passed away several years ago, my dad gave me all her blow molds because I was the only one out of me and my siblings that had a yard to display them, and I've just gone crazy ever since. Last year, the town/ township I live in did a decorating contest and I won the contest. This year, my family is doing an event Thanksgiving weekend for people to come see the lights, Santa will be there and we will have cocoa and cookies for sale with all money going to our local angel tree which is where people can adopt local less fortunate children to help give them a good Christmas. 

6 hours ago, Andy's Fish Den said:

I've always put lights up because I like them, and my mom always put some decorations out when I was a kid. then, when she passed away several years ago, my dad gave me all her blow molds because I was the only one out of me and my siblings that had a yard to display them, and I've just gone crazy ever since. Last year, the town/ township I live in did a decorating contest and I won the contest. This year, my family is doing an event Thanksgiving weekend for people to come see the lights, Santa will be there and we will have cocoa and cookies for sale with all money going to our local angel tree which is where people can adopt local less fortunate children to help give them a good Christmas. 

Ah... very nice idea with the Angel Tree! Best of luck to you with your endeavor this Christmas. 

I'm extremely active in a church my family has helped plant in our community, and I'm an avid curler with our local curling club. I'm really into older Japanese and Scandinavian cars, and Vespas. And I love backpacking and hiking. My wife says I have too many hobbies. I just say I'm well-rounded. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Birdwatching is my only other hardcore hobby. Been doing that a few decades now.

Right before COVID, I was beginning to get more into birdwatching at sea, about 100 miles out, at the edge of the Atlantic continental shelf, something known as pelagic birding.

Edited by tolstoy21

4 minutes ago, tolstoy21 said:

Birdwatching is my only other hardcore hobby. Been doing that a few decades now.

Right before COVID, I was beginning to get more into birdwatching at sea, about 100 miles out, at edge of the Atlantic continental shelf, something known as pelagic birding.

Pelagic birding is pretty hardcore. Are you adding to your life list or do you yearly numbers? Not that just seeing birds no ones else ever sees isn't enough in its own right of course.

20 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Pelagic birding is pretty hardcore. Are you adding to your life list or do you yearly numbers? Not that just seeing birds no ones else ever sees isn't enough in its own right of course.

I started going so I could add to my life list, but then I found I just enjoyed being waaaaaaay out, away from the world for a few days. Kind of gives you a nice reset after being embroiled in the rat race week after week.  I grew up around boats so being on the ocean kind of spoke to my core.  This would have been my fourth year going, had three trips lined up for last winter/spring, then COVID happened.

Not much of a lister or counter (other than a simple life list). Really, birding has always been for me a way to tune out everything else for a short time. Just standing in the middle of some piece of nature, intently listening and watching. You become so hyper-focused on the paying attention to nuances of bird behavior and habitat that you forget all the other BS that was irking you. It's my happy place. I guess that's what hobbies are for.

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 1