Other passionate hobbies

Having decided to go full deep dive into a fishroom earlier this year I made decisions to give up other hobbies. 

I torn down my plastic modeling bench to make room for my 75 gallon tank. In the next house I'd like to have more room for it again. 

20190610_122404.jpg.29079e7603b143186c05ccf31d90ab2c.jpg

I do still enjoy kayaking, fishing, archery, and diy projects around the house. I'll probably get a PS5 eventually to get back into gaming when Horizon Forbidden West comes out. 

• Like 5

I was into making coin rings for a while. I like making things in general. Keeping house plants, which I feel is a natural complementary hobby to fish keeping. Fishing, thanks to YouTube suggesting fishing videos alongside fish keeping videos. Video games, although I only really have interest in a few and hardly find time to play them.

• Like 3

My wife, who is a saint, participates in my biology hobby of the day. Before fish it was synthetic biology. We created novel promoters and inserted them into the genes of E. coli to see which sequence worked the best in DNA synthesis.

563990303_OligionucleotidesNovember122015.jpg.b56d64f94ac322db517ecbf8d2c4b485.jpg

Sharp eyed readers will recognize these as same tool chests now holding 40 gallon breeders.

1685997082_KoryandDanielWorkbenchNovember122015.jpg.fad6754c80ea707eadda0a0197865859.jpg

I couldn't do it without her help.

205920419_FailedexperimentNovember122015.jpg.6b9bac3077b77a4b56d645d761e5ba1c.jpg

This experiment didn't yield what we wanted, so we just did it again. 🙂

761006866_AddingprimersexperimentNovember122015.jpg.012d705fc0d27800424917b18d20ef8d.jpg

• Like 5

I love to sing at my church - solos and with others. I read a lot...probably too much. I also make jewelry (not so much for sale, but I still dabble). I am learning to do watercolor painting and to sketch. Still have a lot to learn! We have 2 dogs, one is a 5-month-old puppy, so I spend lottttts of time training...and cleaning up accidents. 🙄

• Like 5

@Daniel  show off.  I mean really, you convince flying insects to go out pollinating plans, and bringing back stuff to make yummy honey.  Have an insane death of knowledge in our addiction, ooo t meant hobby. Now point out you dabble in SYNTHETIC BIOLOGY!   I juggle one ball🤪

@akconklin  so I have a really nice guitar, operate the camera at church for the live stream, and have 3 dogs, including a 11 week old glodendoodle.  Sooooooo

I tend to flit from obsessive hobby to obsessive hobby like an ADHD butterfly. I’d say the constants are doodling, jewelry making, and ecosystem experiments. I have a laser cutter I do fun stuff with, I crochet and knit, have whittled, have done some other art and sculpture, calligraphy, terrariums, vinyl embellishment, etc, etc. 

But in general I like visual storytelling, design, and putting together tiny worlds. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ken Burke said:

so I have a really nice guitar, operate the camera at church for the live stream, and have 3 dogs, including a 11 week old glodendoodle.  Sooooooo

@Ken Burke😄😄😄, well I know quite a bit about you now, it seems! At least, I know how you spend your spare time...following your goldendoodle around!  And btw, since I'm frequently at home from church, due to some health issues, I am SO grateful for y'all who man those cameras! They are a real blessing to those of us who can't make it. 👍

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, RovingGinger said:

I tend to flit from obsessive hobby to obsessive hobby like an ADHD butterfly. I’d say the constants are doodling, jewelry making, and ecosystem experiments. I have a laser cutter I do fun stuff with, I crochet and knit, have whittled, have done some other art and sculpture, calligraphy, terrariums, vinyl embellishment, etc, etc. 

But in general I like visual storytelling, design, and putting together tiny worlds. 

Another over achiever

24 minutes ago, Ken Burke said:

@Daniel  show off.  I mean really, you convince flying insects to go out pollinating plans, and bringing back stuff to make yummy honey.  Have an insane death of knowledge in our addiction, ooo t meant hobby. Now point out you dabble in SYNTHETIC BIOLOGY!   I juggle one ball🤪

Okay, I was showing off.

And I only sound like I know what I am talking about. You should discount at least half of what I say. Just because something is said confidently doesn't make it true. And I can't even juggle one ball 🤪

I think I am like @RovingGinger. When I get into hobby, I go whole hog and then burn out. And then I pick up another hobby. I admire someone who can do something for a long time and get a deep knowledge that I miss because I keep switching around.

After a while I come back to the original hobby and pick up where I left off. Sometimes I learn something from the other hobbies that bleeds over into the current one. The recent biology binge upped my chemistry game a bit which is helping me now with fish.

I admire someone like @akconklin who can play music, contributes her time a church, and takes care of family including a special needs child. And she still has time for a nice aquarium with about bazillion guppies in it! I am not so good at the selfless giving part.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Okay, I was showing off.

And I only sound like I know what I am talking about. You should discount at least half of what I say. Just because something is said confidently doesn't make it true. And I can't even juggle one ball 🤪

I think I am like @RovingGinger. When I get into hobby, I go whole hog and then burn out. And then I pick up another hobby. I admire someone who can do something for a long time and get a deep knowledge that I miss because I keep switching around.

After a while I come back to the original hobby and pick up where I left off. Sometimes I learn something from the other hobbies that bleeds over into the current one. The recent biology binge upped my chemistry game a bit which is helping me now with fish.

I admire someone like @akconklin who can play music, contributes her time a church, and takes care of family including a special needs child. And she still has time for a nice aquarium with about bazillion guppies in it! I am not so good at the selfless giving part.

Here here!  A toast to @akconklin, who espouses ideals we should all aspire.  (Was that too corny?)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Showing off a wide variety of attempted skills is not really a match for showing off a mastered skill, to @Daniel’s point. But I kinda like my patchwork resume, and I usually bring bits and pieces with me even after I’m not obsessed anymore.

I don’t know if this fully falls under hobby, but I was briefly part of a community devoted to figuring out the healthiest hair care for long term growth. That community had a term I think this one would resonate with - “benign neglect”. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Ken Burke said:

Here here!  A toast to @akconklin, who espouses ideals we should all aspire.  (Was that too corny?)

Sooooooo corny!!! 😉🥰 

You guys & girls are too kind. It's a team effort at my house. My husband is a one-in-a-millon man. I couldn't do anything without his support & help. We love our life! And we love that this world of aquaria is part of that! Glad to be here.

• Like 2

I'm into blacksmithing but havent gotten into it too much as I'm still setting up a blacksmith shop with my dad rn, I also really enjoy my job as a painter, I mean it is a job but i still kinda view it as a sorta hobby, and then i also am really into video games and collecting them. Those are really the three main hobbies besides fishkeeping, but I also love music and playing the guitar and piano, enjoy skateboarding, enjoy occasionally making lego creations like spaceships, and a lot of other smaller things that theres too many to list. 

Oh it should also be noted that I also like land inverts, and currently have isopods and slugs and had a mantis but it recently died, I also want a jumping spider.

Anyways I enjoy too many things and I'm just glad my dad let's me indulge in them, granted hes definitely into the blacksmithing a lot and I'm paying for everything, I mean we're going 50/50 on the blacksmith shop, but hes even willing to let me turn part of the basement into a fish room once I get the money.

• Like 5

All things outdoors, but as far as my obsessions. Plants and aquaponics (kind of fish related), I have chickens and quail for eggs, I guess health in general.  So mostly keeping things and myself alive and thriving consumes a decent amount of my time.

I'm extremely passionate about living soil and the carbon/nutrient cycles work! Phasing out mono-culture, and normal conventional farming with salt base synthetics is key to eliminating many of our current problems.

• Like 3

I draw/paint, and sail--when covid doesn't stop all the races--and I loved to travel...when we could. I can do most of the crafting type hobbies, and I used to garden, which translates into a thriving indoor jungle now that I am in the city. I am also a flitting butterfly like @RovingGinger, I hold on to a hobby until I have achieved a level of competence and then when it stops being challenging I generally lose interest.

I have been getting into backpacking and that has been a stand in for the sailing and traveling, but I just lost my backpacking/hiking buddy, so learning to go it solo is both scary and awesome. I worry less about slowing anyone down now, and I am pretty good at not getting lost. I mostly just worry about getting injured somewhere alone. 

@Daniel's lab is almost better tricked out than my bench at work! Bacterial genetics are super fascinating, and molecular biology (synthetic biology) was my original career path until I shifted to a slightly different direction. 

• Like 2

Cooking, hiking/backpacking, video games (mostly Destiny 2 on Xbox if anyone else plays), knife collecting and knife sharpening. 

I used to also enjoy gardening and sailing, but we moved into our house to late to plant this year and I don't have a boat right now. After we finish the work we want to do on the house I'll start saving for a boat.

I've only purchased one knife in the last year and it was a beater for work because I spend all my budget on this hobby and I haven't had a weekend to go backpacking since my 2 year old was born so I'm not sure I can still say I'm in those hobbies. 

• Like 2

For me it is Christmas decorations and decorating, especially outside. Thankfully I live out in the country and all together own about 20acres but the part my house sits on is just under two, and I have decorations over a good portion of it. Last year I had over 10,000 lights along with roughly 40 plastic blow molds and another 10 inflatables. This year, I have got more lights, not sure exactly how many more, 15 more blow molds, several inflatables, and some other lighted decorations. I am starting this weekend to put it all up, the weather is supposed to be 70+ on Saturday and Sunday which is rare for NW Ohio, so I am going to take advantage of it and get the stuff up, but I don't turn everything on until Thanksgiving night.  

The inside I go just as crazy, we have 5 trees in the house, and lots of decor, when people come over, they say its like the North Pols.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Andy's Fish Den said:

For me it is Christmas decorations and decorating, especially outside. Thankfully I live out in the country and all together own about 20acres but the part my house sits on is just under two, and I have decorations over a good portion of it. Last year I had over 10,000 lights along with roughly 40 plastic blow molds and another 10 inflatables. This year, I have got more lights, not sure exactly how many more, 15 more blow molds, several inflatables, and some other lighted decorations. I am starting this weekend to put it all up, the weather is supposed to be 70+ on Saturday and Sunday which is rare for NW Ohio, so I am going to take advantage of it and get the stuff up, but I don't turn everything on until Thanksgiving night.  

The inside I go just as crazy, we have 5 trees in the house, and lots of decor, when people come over, they say its like the North Pols.

That's so awesome! My brother is a big decorator too. His is all inside the house though. 

I remember touring a property in Ohio (near Union City, OH/IN) with my in-laws years ago, that was all decorated. Being from FL, driving past the lights in cold weather with snow on the ground, it was a magical experience. I'm sure you bring lots of joy to lots of people.