How do I do a water change without a syphon hose?

EnderRen

Yes, I know I should suck it up and buy a gravel vacuum / syphon hose, but I don't have the money this week. Next week that is the plan. The problem is, water still needs a changing. So, do I just stick a pitcher in my water and dump it in the sink, or is there another method that I should use?

I agree with above. However If you are super lazy or just always wondering and have time you can wick water out. Put some cotton twine and hang it out of the tank the tank and the other in a bucket. It will slowly wick water from the tank. It is slow and not very efficient but works. I’m I not sure how much you have but Lowe’s has 1/2 10 ft tubbing for about $6 dollar to use as a siphon and 1/4 inch 10ft for $4. Often times you can find damaged or returns items and ask for a discount. I use this cheap tubing for mine. 6A06B5B3-742E-4FC3-83D5-A7159E8B96CD.jpeg.5e07039f0c6fabfebfde3dce3dde171e.jpeg572A1A5F-524B-4537-B344-34E2202C84B0.jpeg.df510638803cd888e9e9e551d0bb81fb.jpeg5078AE5B-D550-4389-A6F5-63843CEB0F92.jpeg.5324383889b89fca1ef26acdeb59b234.jpeg

• Like 2

On 12/19/2022 at 9:52 AM, rockfisher said:

Put some cotton twine and hang it out of the tank the tank and the other in a bucket. It will slowly wick water from the tank. It is slow and not very efficient but works.

I should have used a bucket?  One my early aquatic mistakes was inadvertently leaving a few threads of a cleaning towel in the aquarium.  A few hours later it began rain in the basement. 

• Haha 3

On 12/19/2022 at 10:24 AM, Tanked said:

I should have used a bucket?  One my early aquatic mistakes was inadvertently leaving a few threads of a cleaning towel in the aquarium.  A few hours later it began rain in the basement. 

I that was how I knew as well. At least no rain just a wet spot on the floor. 

On 12/19/2022 at 8:52 AM, rockfisher said:

I agree with above. However If you are super lazy or just always wondering and have time you can wick water out. Put some cotton twine and hang it out of the tank the tank and the other in a bucket. It will slowly wick water from the tank. It is slow and not very efficient but works. I’m I not sure how much you have but Lowe’s has 1/2 10 ft tubbing for about $6 dollar to use as a siphon and 1/4 inch 10ft for $4. Often times you can find damaged or returns items and ask for a discount. I use this cheap tubing for mine. 

I recommend getting some of that hose even if you do have an off-the-shelf siphon with the tube.  I've done that with all of mine.  I keep the tube and throw everything else away, including the bulb you use to start the siphon.  You don't need it anyway.  I start the siphon by lowering the tube into the water, then slowly bring it up, with the open end slightly higher than the end with the hose.  As soon as water starts flowing I lower it back down into the water, still keeping the open end elevated.  It doesn't always work on the first try, but it works.

Anyway, I went to the local hardware store and bought 30' of hose for my large siphon.  I run it outside for draining water from the 65, and to the shower drain for the 40.  I use a smaller tube on the smaller tanks that I drain into my 2.5 gallon white bucket.  That one has about 6' of hose, which is enough that I can set the bucket on the floor.

• Love 1

On 12/19/2022 at 8:24 AM, EnderRen said:

Yes, I know I should suck it up and buy a gravel vacuum / syphon hose, but I don't have the money this week. Next week that is the plan. The problem is, water still needs a changing. So, do I just stick a pitcher in my water and dump it in the sink, or is there another method that I should use?

Do yourself a favor when you buy a siphon and get a python!

Just make sure the whole set up will fit on your faucets. I could replace my faucets or send back the python. I sent the python back. I have a a hose that runs to the fish room. Everything was had with that clear tubing but I use a bigger hose like @JettsPapaand one end has a hose bib attached. I run it outside near the hose bib to empty the tank and the just hook up the hose and full the tank. I have a pvp made hook. Dean shows how to make one or a few elbows and you can buy the hose and part for way less than a long python. I had a python and really think they are way overly rated. Some love them but I can do with out. They are not bad though. If you have/ get one I’m not saying it’s bad just a personal preference. Using both I just prefer the homemade one. 

If this is just a temporary measure for a week or even a month, yes just use a pitcher and bucket. 

When removing water from the tank, put the spout of the pitcher in first, lower it in about half or 3/4 of the way, then tip it upright and lift the filled pitcher out of the water.

When adding water back to the tank, presumably from a bucket, you can use the same pitcher, but lower the bottom of the filled pitcher into the tank first, then when the pitcher is deep enough in the tank that the water line in the tank matches the water line in the pitcher, slowly rotate the pitcher so it's sideways, then slowly lift it up and out so the spout is the last part to leave the water. This will result in the least amount of disturbance/flow/turbulence. [just make sure you don't place the pitcher onto a soapy sink or counter or anything]

i have shrimp in my 10 gallon and i use a turkey  baster only to it works very well if you know how to use it right ,, I squeeze the  baster bulb and keep holding it  before putting under water  and slowly  move baster  around and slowly release  the bulb  to collect the mess on substrate  matter fact it works great around rocks and plants in my larger  tank too 

I tried a siphon when i first got my smaller tank and even with the smallest siphon it did not work well a turkey baster worked best for me 

Edited by Bev C

The top fin siphon's are slightly narrower than normal, especially the medium or smaller sizes.  I would look into those for a 10G so you have a slower flow of water leaving the tank and can control it slightly better. 

But yeah, I would just use a big cup / pitcher and a bucket for right now.

On 12/19/2022 at 10:27 AM, JettsPapa said:

I start the siphon by lowering the tube into the water, then slowly bring it up, with the open end slightly higher than the end with the hose.  As soon as water starts flowing I lower it back down into the water, still keeping the open end elevated.  It doesn't always work on the first try, but it works.

This is how I do it, too. If you want to see this in action, Cory demonstrates here (the whole thing is worth a watch but the technique @JettsPapa is describing is at about the 2:00 mark):

• Like 1