A COLOSSAL IDIOT walks into a pet store....(an illustrated tail - intentional misspelling- of woe)

On 10/26/2022 at 3:58 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea neither. I have Indian Almond leaves on a subscription order with Amazon. My water changing system for my 5 tanks is as follows: 

I keep 1 gallon empty water jugs from drinking water- anywhere from 9 to 11 of them (that changes due to them wearing out or if I'm using one for Epsom water etc). 

I bring to a boil 2-3 full sized IAL leaves in an 8 quart stock pot, once boiling I turn off the burner, put on the lid and steep anywhere from 8-12 hours.

I then fill each of the 1 gallon jugs with SOME of that tea water (anywhere from 2 to 4 fingers high) then fill the rest of the way with tap water and fritz dechlorinator. 

I let the jugs sit out 12-24 hours uncapped then cap and use as needed. 

This lasts me anywhere from a week or 2 depending on my water changes- right now I start to run low within a week due to frequent QT water changes for my four patients along with my resident tank water changes. 

Is there such a thing as adding too many tannins?  How do your leaf-water tannin tanks compare in pH to the regular tanks?  (Sorry for all the questions. I'm just curious. Heh.)

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea no worries. 

I don't find that the way I'm doing things effects my pH at all. My tanks run in the mid to low 7s and always have. The color of my tanks' water is definitely tinted but it's not something you say "whoa, what's up with that water". Most people don't even notice it. I imagine it could effect some peoples' tanks but aquarium keepers like @Streetwise have deep tannins and have very healthy, thriving tanks. So IMO I don't think there is such a thing as "too many" tannins- I think it depends on you (some people don't like dark water) or maybe your water. 

I can say I have noticed that my fish and inhabitants seem to have adjusted to- and may be healthier than they were before I did what I am doing now. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 3

Special update time. 

First the regular update: Water changes this evening. Again everyone doing about the same as last update. Red Crowntail still eating fine and even swimming normally for short periods of time (30 seconds or so), for the first time this morning saw him dip down a bit from the top to reach a bloodworm that slipped away from him. He still ends up on his side sometimes and remains mostly along the top sides of the tank. Here he was tonight after eating and a his water change: 1915674626_crowntail102622.jpg.72f4c886153c16b3f58efc097ee84075.jpg

White Twintail Halfmoon also still very good. He'll be moving this weekend after the girls go to their new homes provided all goes well- which I don't anticipate going badly. Where he goes from here I'm still not sure yet, still pondering his future. 1029631806_twintailhalfmoon102622.jpg.dfdfd10354f463ae81f4346fe4081de2.jpg

Globetta will be released into the Flex9 in the next few days. She's ready to move on I think. 26349429_globetta102622.jpg.b24425671b179245964899db6da81e08.jpg

Then we have a big day tomorrow for Purple Dumbo girl. Tonight I prepared her travel package. Her favorite foods, Daphnia, Ocean Nutrition Betta Pellets and a mix of Xtreme Kril and Fluval Tropical Flakes. I also packed for her a food ring (Mum's tank has a lot of Duckweed), a new heater if we need it for her tank (I'm bringing a thermo to check temp), my test strips so I can test the tank, some IAL and a small QT (has an airline and airstone attached), extra air pump and aquarium salt if in the next few days Mum has to remove her for any reason or she gets sick (or injured- this goes for her tankmates too). I'm also bringing an extra gallon of the IAL tank water I make. *Cat not included:1405866102_stuffforpurple.jpg.a41fb727ef3104ccd2116f5351ddb036.jpg

I cleaned out her original cup- yes I know- boo- but it's the easiest and safest way for me to transport her tomorrow for the 30 minute drive (I have to make a brief pit-stop too) but she won't be in there for long! 443135178_purpledumbo102622.jpg.359befa2a5a0797b2baf1215396ebeff.jpgPurple is ready! 

• Like 2
  • Love 4

Wow @xXInkedPhoenixX. You’ve outdone yourself!  The heater is brand new too! And you’re even bringing IAL water!?! 😍 You’re an angel to this fish and the others. You have such a big heart! ❤️

You can make a little instruction sheet with Microsoft word. That’s what I did when I adopted my baby snails out.
A lot of people think you don’t have to feed mystery snails?! They think, oh, they’ll just eat the algae. Then they wonder why they die. People don’t know they need calcium (shell) and protein (operculum) either. So I gave hobbyist a little crab cuisine and cuttlebone with the care sheet.

Make sure Mama doesn’t overfeed… And let us know if Purple is named?

• Thanks 1

On 10/26/2022 at 1:20 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

That's cool.  I quite like the look of tannins. I get it when I add new driftwood.

Also my friend gave me some almond leaves for my shrimp, so I'm trying them out.

My shrimp love to eat IAL. They turn them into skeletons in about two weeks.

On 10/26/2022 at 7:51 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Special update time. 

Eeeeee! So exciting! I hope purple loves her new home. They've all made amazing recoveries. Hopefully red keeps improving. Still rooting for him! 🎉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/27/2022 at 2:18 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

The heater is brand new too! And you’re even bringing IAL water!?! 😍 You’re an angel to this fish and the others. You have such a big heart! ❤️

You can make a little instruction sheet with Microsoft word. That’s what I did when I adopted my baby snails out.

Well admittedly I always keep a heater like that on hand. I built Mum's tank and it was a couple years ago so I thought it was time maybe to change the old one out since it was older than the tank. I'll be buying another one to keep as a backup. 🙂 I supply my Mum with most of the equipment she needs so it's not a care issue for her. I also test occassionally. But- it's been a great tank- hands off entirely just top offs frankly and she'll scoop out duckweed from time to time. 

Mum has actually had better luck with Betta fish than I have- hers always lived longer than mine. I explained to her again that her stomach is only as big as her eyeball and to be careful how much to feed her. She understands but there will be issues since her frog is a slow eater hahaha!

On 10/27/2022 at 9:10 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

How do you dose meds in water in such small tanks

I'm going to be totally honest. Dosing 1 to 3 gallon tanks is a total nightmare, yes I've dosed from dissolving in bigger containers- and this will make people like @Odd Duck cringe- but I will admit- I EYEBALL most of my medications. I look at the dosage per envelope or scoop etc and guesstimate the fractions. It seems to be working out for me (I've always been an uncanny eyeballer) but I'm not sure I'd recommend it. 😱

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

THE UPDATE PURPLE FANS HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR (SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT AT THE END!)

Well today was Purple's day to go! I packed up her care kit, put the poor little one for the LAST (*knock on wood*) time in one of those dreary cups (the one she came home with me in) and we started the 30 minute drive to her new home. As mentioned I had a pit stop I had to do before I got to Mum's house....it was cold today! in the lower 50s. Even for a 30 minute window I didn't feel safe leaving her in the car that while running was warm but could quickly cool off in the parking garage I had to go to. SO, this silly human once again takes fish in a cup to a public place...476771992_attheoffice102722.jpg.d04ac4916d76a3c89d579abe9d8e3553.jpg

The lady in the office was amused by my partner, I had apologized for having not been able to leave my rescue fish in the car. This prompted a conversation later in the appointment "how does one rescue a fish"? 

Then we were off to Mum's again! When I got there Mum was nowhere around- this was fine because I had to prep, test and etc. So I got out the test strips and compared the water she was in with the water in the tank- besides higher nitrates in Mum's tank- just about identical. Checked the temp- very close- which wasn't great since the tank water was cooler than I'd like it to be. So I switched out the heater- no matter too- it will give it time to heat up and she wouldn't have temp shock. This is a look at Mum's Tank- sorry the light/glare and color isn't great as I'd pushed back the tank light and her kitchen is dark:952033705_purplesnewhome102722.jpg.0518e49f6c3106eb549b632893445b34.jpg

Here are her new Guppy buddies- they are CONSTANTLY chasing each other per my Mum. These two were from a group of 5 my nephew used to have in his tank before he went all snail. there are also 2 remaining Neon Tetras from his tank that hide most of the time. Also 1 remaining African Dwarf Frog and a couple of Nerites and Bladder snails- Of all of the inhabitants I'm most concerned with the Guppies as they will be obnoxious little brothers in the tank: 493290647_purplesnewguppybuddies.jpg.8ab7ff59f917475f028423b6357f6d77.jpg

So after everything tested well I floated the big breeder box while Purple waited her turn: 1345753980_waiting102722.jpg.ff36d7ddb5efc7752423743e558b15e0.jpg

I put her in the breeder and let her float while I waited for mum. I saw the Guppies were a bit curious- she was a little less so: 1174805526_waitinginthebreeder102722.jpg.d51d419ee7cdf6987c6145912b055657.jpg

Then Mum came home and it was time to let her loose! 

Here is a short Google video of the event: 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/URnanB6zHAXf8wV2A (under a minute- sorry I did not bring my tripod and both my Mum and Dad were watching- I took the liberty of leaving our commentary out of it, lol)

Here is the first thing she did in the tank (again sorry for the glare): https://photos.app.goo.gl/VyYpP9JPJVZaqJZR9

Now folks stay tuned for the final comment at the end but I'm going to post you the BEAUTY that is proper tank lighting, up until today this fish's true colors had not yet been seen behold Purple now:

1278458685_guppymeet2102722.jpg.4d4650482b398d62a44e017d5262f02c.jpg

858603132_guppymeet102722.jpg.e3aa624519d6681a87d057128e39eeff.jpg

1696694108_guppygreet1102722.jpg.f5b7a30e43e20fffacec416b478fd706.jpg

973161859_guppystandoff102722.jpg.1f99a306fc5ebbdae5ac26238405fdb7.jpg

She's definitely tough- I thought her big personality might translate to being very, very bossy and I was right. I observed for a good hour with my Mum and while she is definitely curious, chases, and postures we think she'll settle down and be fine. The Guppies definitely come at her and she definitely gets back at them. I didn't see any true nipping or biting while I was there and the Guppies and Purple were able to easily get away from each other. The Neons pretty much stay out of the way but she went at them too (they scattered). She did go up to the frog but she quickly tired of it. My Mum will have some feeding growing pains as she won't be able to just leave food for the ADF anymore (as evidenced by her eating 3 or 4 bloodworm pieces while I was there and Mum was trying to feed the frog- I told her maybe don't feed the tank tomorrow). But here's where YOU come in dear reader...

What's her name? Mum asked if I named her- I said I didn't because I thought I'd leave it up to her. Now I could just as easily name her but I said, Mum, the people on the forum really love Purple- how about I let everyone come up with ONE or TWO names each and she can pick from that list of names and I will let you all know what she decides? Can't guarantee she's going to stick with the program so I warn you now! But she thought it was a great idea and is willing to participate! 

So since you've all been a big part of Purple's recovery and journey help us now- give me a name, I'll make a list and let you all know! I'm looking forward to what y'all come up with!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 5

She’s so beautiful!  I’d vote for Violet.  Viola is nice (purple in Italian), or maybe Lila (purple in Swedish).  Whichever you choose, you should be very proud of yourself for saving her and allowing her to blossom!  Oooh, Iris?  They come in lovely shades of purple and lavender with lots of frills (like frilly fins).

• Thanks 1

I have lilac bushes in each shade of purple and the white highlights she displays. So my obvious name for her would be Lilac. 
I also have different shades of hyacinths in her colors so maybe Hyacinth. 
She is stunning. You have really done a fabulous job with her 🤗

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 10/27/2022 at 4:38 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

SO, this silly human once again takes fish in a cup to a public place...

I once took an injured juvenile hummingbird to a hair appointment because he was still too weak to eat on his own.  He had bonked himself on a window but was found just in time to save him.  The entire salon was entranced.  He did great and was able to be released (soft release) through a bird rehab center once he was strong enough and back to flying reliably a few weeks later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

On 10/27/2022 at 11:38 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

THE UPDATE PURPLE FANS HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR (SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT AT THE END!)

Well today was Purple's day to go! I packed up her care kit, put the poor little one for the LAST (*knock on wood*) time in one of those dreary cups (the one she came home with me in) and we started the 30 minute drive to her new home. As mentioned I had a pit stop I had to do before I got to Mum's house....it was cold today! in the lower 50s. Even for a 30 minute window I didn't feel safe leaving her in the car that while running was warm but could quickly cool off in the parking garage I had to go to. SO, this silly human once again takes fish in a cup to a public place...476771992_attheoffice102722.jpg.d04ac4916d76a3c89d579abe9d8e3553.jpg

The lady in the office was amused by my partner, I had apologized for having not been able to leave my rescue fish in the car. This prompted a conversation later in the appointment "how does one rescue a fish"? 

Then we were off to Mum's again! When I got there Mum was nowhere around- this was fine because I had to prep, test and etc. So I got out the test strips and compared the water she was in with the water in the tank- besides higher nitrates in Mum's tank- just about identical. Checked the temp- very close- which wasn't great since the tank water was cooler than I'd like it to be. So I switched out the heater- no matter too- it will give it time to heat up and she wouldn't have temp shock. This is a look at Mum's Tank- sorry the light/glare and color isn't great as I'd pushed back the tank light and her kitchen is dark:952033705_purplesnewhome102722.jpg.0518e49f6c3106eb549b632893445b34.jpg

Here are her new Guppy buddies- they are CONSTANTLY chasing each other per my Mum. These two were from a group of 5 my nephew used to have in his tank before he went all snail. there are also 2 remaining Neon Tetras from his tank that hide most of the time. Also 1 remaining African Dwarf Frog and a couple of Nerites and Bladder snails- Of all of the inhabitants I'm most concerned with the Guppies as they will be obnoxious little brothers in the tank: 493290647_purplesnewguppybuddies.jpg.8ab7ff59f917475f028423b6357f6d77.jpg

So after everything tested well I floated the big breeder box while Purple waited her turn: 1345753980_waiting102722.jpg.ff36d7ddb5efc7752423743e558b15e0.jpg

I put her in the breeder and let her float while I waited for mum. I saw the Guppies were a bit curious- she was a little less so: 1174805526_waitinginthebreeder102722.jpg.d51d419ee7cdf6987c6145912b055657.jpg

Then Mum came home and it was time to let her loose! 

Here is a short Google video of the event: 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/URnanB6zHAXf8wV2A (under a minute- sorry I did not bring my tripod and both my Mum and Dad were watching- I took the liberty of leaving our commentary out of it, lol)

Here is the first thing she did in the tank (again sorry for the glare): https://photos.app.goo.gl/VyYpP9JPJVZaqJZR9

Now folks stay tuned for the final comment at the end but I'm going to post you the BEAUTY that is proper tank lighting, up until today this fish's true colors had not yet been seen behold Purple now:

1278458685_guppymeet2102722.jpg.4d4650482b398d62a44e017d5262f02c.jpg

858603132_guppymeet102722.jpg.e3aa624519d6681a87d057128e39eeff.jpg

1696694108_guppygreet1102722.jpg.f5b7a30e43e20fffacec416b478fd706.jpg

973161859_guppystandoff102722.jpg.1f99a306fc5ebbdae5ac26238405fdb7.jpg

She's definitely tough- I thought her big personality might translate to being very, very bossy and I was right. I observed for a good hour with my Mum and while she is definitely curious, chases, and postures we think she'll settle down and be fine. The Guppies definitely come at her and she definitely gets back at them. I didn't see any true nipping or biting while I was there and the Guppies and Purple were able to easily get away from each other. The Neons pretty much stay out of the way but she went at them too (they scattered). She did go up to the frog but she quickly tired of it. My Mum will have some feeding growing pains as she won't be able to just leave food for the ADF anymore (as evidenced by her eating 3 or 4 bloodworm pieces while I was there and Mum was trying to feed the frog- I told her maybe don't feed the tank tomorrow). But here's where YOU come in dear reader...

What's her name? Mum asked if I named her- I said I didn't because I thought I'd leave it up to her. Now I could just as easily name her but I said, Mum, the people on the forum really love Purple- how about I let everyone come up with ONE or TWO names each and she can pick from that list of names and I will let you all know what she decides? Can't guarantee she's going to stick with the program so I warn you now! But she thought it was a great idea and is willing to participate! 

So since you've all been a big part of Purple's recovery and journey help us now- give me a name, I'll make a list and let you all know! I'm looking forward to what y'all come up with!

She’s so beautiful!

May I suggest Colette?

Or maybe Orchid?

Sorry, I’m rubbish with fish names!😂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Firstly thanks for all the name suggestions. Along with 2 other names I've gotten outside of the forum the list goes to Mum today and we'll see what she decides!

Now on to the regularly scheduled program. Exciting stuff for the patients in the last few days, first our girl Purple has moved on to her new home. The heater I brought Mum did not work so she went out this weekend and got a new one- the tank is now 79 degrees from 72. This is not only a beneficial raise for Purple but will also benefit the African Dwarf Frog as well. We're going into Winter and my Mum's house is kept a whole lot cooler than mine and I wanted to make sure Purple is in proper temps. So she's good there- Mum reports she's doing well. 

THEN we're on to miss GloBetta. It was time for her move on Friday. A lot less prep had to go on for this. I grabbed a small floating breeder, caught miss GloBetta and put her there to acclimate to approaching tankmates. Almost immediately the breeder was approached by BFG the resident Nerite because there was a good amount of biofilm/algae on the breeder due to it having been in the Parent Tank. All of the Guppies and Endler boys greeted GloBetta- and as I suspected she was not at all aggressive inside the box. (Sorry for all the glare)

162325910_GloBettarelease102822.jpg.da293fdb0010fd4b8f1f05c9d5060d3e.jpg

So due to her very mellow behavior after about a half hour or so I decided to release her. Here is that video (Google, no commentary on it): 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/y9oTj38gpimzMoaJA

Here is her wondering around her tank- the top 2 pics were the next day when the sun hits the tank, the bottom pics were right after her release the day before:

421080919_GloBettaReleased102822.jpg.608c663232e963c2474c856c9686bc15.jpg

Again, as I suspected by observing her behavior/personality in her QT she is absolutely PERFECT for the Flex9. She chased the Guppies and Endlers a few times, but after that she just kinda goes with the flow of the tank. She isn't harassed by the others (they're too occupied with their typical harassment circles) and does her own thing. She has flashes of that flourescent/neon yellow but for the most part she just looks like a brilliant yellow and  red fish and goes really well with the tank- meaning she is just the right amount of bright the tank needs for a fish to stand out like the Guppies and Endlers. The Ember Tetras just do their thing and stay out of everyone's way. I'm really happy with how this plan for her came together So she has an official name now. Her name is Serket, after an Egyptian healing goddess (with the scorpion as her symbol so she's not one to mess with)- I liked it because it also sounds like Circuit- eluding to her high-tech genes and in hommage to my last GloBetta girl, Spark). 

So GloBetta, Serket's story ends here and she moves on to my other posts.  Purple's will too when a name is announced. 

Last of the patients are White Twintail Halfmoon who is is in perfect health now and just awaits his fate so to speak. He and Red Crowntail got moved this weekend. Both went onto the desk where the girls used to be so I got my kitchen table back. Today when I get home Crowntail gets dose 3 of Expel-P as per @Odd Duck's treatment recommendation. He is off his medicated food. I do have some good news about Crowntail today. He still hangs out at the top of the tank and sometimes lists to the side, and is often found still along the sides however- he has been getting a LOT better about swimming away from it: 1913058305_crowntailswims103022.jpg.efc52c6c9909f9eb13e3512b9923499f.jpg

😁

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1
  • Love 5

On 10/30/2022 at 2:48 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Firstly thanks for all the name suggestions. Along with 2 other names I've gotten outside of the forum the list goes to Mum today and we'll see what she decides!

Now on to the regularly scheduled program. Exciting stuff for the patients in the last few days, first our girl Purple has moved on to her new home. The heater I brought Mum did not work so she went out this weekend and got a new one- the tank is now 79 degrees from 72. This is not only a beneficial raise for Purple but will also benefit the African Dwarf Frog as well. We're going into Winter and my Mum's house is kept a whole lot cooler than mine and I wanted to make sure Purple is in proper temps. So she's good there- Mum reports she's doing well. 

THEN we're on to miss GloBetta. It was time for her move on Friday. A lot less prep had to go on for this. I grabbed a small floating breeder, caught miss GloBetta and put her there to acclimate to approaching tankmates. Almost immediately the breeder was approached by BFG the resident Nerite because there was a good amount of biofilm/algae on the breeder due to it having been in the Parent Tank. All of the Guppies and Endler boys greeted GloBetta- and as I suspected she was not at all aggressive inside the box. (Sorry for all the glare)

162325910_GloBettarelease102822.jpg.da293fdb0010fd4b8f1f05c9d5060d3e.jpg

So due to her very mellow behavior after about a half hour or so I decided to release her. Here is that video (Google, no commentary on it): 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/y9oTj38gpimzMoaJA

Here is her wondering around her tank- the top 2 pics were the next day when the sun hits the tank, the bottom pics were right after her release the day before:

421080919_GloBettaReleased102822.jpg.608c663232e963c2474c856c9686bc15.jpg

Again, as I suspected by observing her behavior/personality in her QT she is absolutely PERFECT for the Flex9. She chased the Guppies and Endlers a few times, but after that she just kinda goes with the flow of the tank. She isn't harassed by the others (they're too occupied with their typical harassment circles) and does her own thing. She has flashes of that flourescent/neon yellow but for the most part she just looks like a brilliant yellow and  red fish and goes really well with the tank- meaning she is just the right amount of bright the tank needs for a fish to stand out like the Guppies and Endlers. The Ember Tetras just do their thing and stay out of everyone's way. I'm really happy with how this plan for her came together So she has an official name now. Her name is Serket, after an Egyptian healing goddess (with the scorpion as her symbol so she's not one to mess with)- I liked it because it also sounds like Circuit- eluding to her high-tech genes and in hommage to my last GloBetta girl, Spark). 

So GloBetta, Serket's story ends here and she moves on to my other posts.  Purple's will too when a name is announced. 

Last of the patients are White Twintail Halfmoon who is is in perfect health now and just awaits his fate so to speak. He and Red Crowntail got moved this weekend. Both went onto the desk where the girls used to be so I got my kitchen table back. Today when I get home Crowntail gets dose 3 of Expel-P as per @Odd Duck's treatment recommendation. He is off his medicated food. I do have some good news about Crowntail today. He still hangs out at the top of the tank and sometimes lists to the side, and is often found still along the sides however- he has been getting a LOT better about swimming away from it: 1913058305_crowntailswims103022.jpg.efc52c6c9909f9eb13e3512b9923499f.jpg

😁

Nice to see Crowntail doing betta and Serket moving into her new home!! It’s been a real journey and it’s great to see that the end is in sight! Great work!!

• Like 1

Name announcement! Firstly thanks to all the forum members who gave me names- I really liked them all!

The list was as follows: 

Lila

Viola

Grace

Violet

Pepper

LIlac

Hyacinth

Zaggi

Kerrigan

Colette 

Orchid

With 2 other name suggestions, mine was UV (Ultra Violet) and my lucky Betta namer came up with Derple. 

I didn't advise Mum where any name came from, gave her the list this morning and she narrowed it down to my name, Derple and Zaggi...she texted a few ago to advise the name!1356419544_Zaggi103022.jpg.4904b32b4db6f7431992d17b4e1dbd5f.jpg

Purple's name is now Zaggi! Thanks to @Minanora for the suggestion!

• Like 1
  • Love 6