Anyone else get a heart attack when their crayfish moults?

Friller

On 8/4/2022 at 11:33 AM, lefty o said:

back when i had crayfish, first time was like what the heck, but after that id pull the exoskeleton out set it on top of the tank to dry, and it was a neat decoration, looked like another crayfish was sitting on the tank.

I'm curious.  I've always heard that you should leave shrimp molts in the tank, since they are a good source of something or other the shrimp need, and they will be eaten.  I assume that's not true for crayfish?

On 8/5/2022 at 2:33 AM, lefty o said:

back when i had crayfish, first time was like what the heck, but after that id pull the exoskeleton out set it on top of the tank to dry, and it was a neat decoration, looked like another crayfish was sitting on the tank.

I'll have to do that next time! Do you have any pics?

On 8/5/2022 at 4:15 AM, JettsPapa said:

I'm curious.  I've always heard that you should leave shrimp molts in the tank, since they are a good source of something or other the shrimp need, and they will be eaten.  I assume that's not true for crayfish?

My girl has eaten every single one of her moults so far.

On 8/5/2022 at 4:22 AM, lefty o said:

not honestly sure, but crayfish shells are pretty tough, dont know if they would eat it.

They soften in the water after shedding I believe

• Like 1

On 8/4/2022 at 11:15 AM, JettsPapa said:

I think even some spiders or insects too, but I am unsure about their care.  For the invertebrates it's so they can eat the molt and get back calcium.  And yes.... can confirm I always check the molts and always worry it's not just a molt. 

• Like 1