anyone tried these USB air pump?

jamieterrin

On 7/30/2022 at 11:22 AM, jamieterrin said:

sorry I have no experience with either of these but I would recommend the aquarium co-op USB air pump.

yeah i have looked at the one offered here and its cool but the ones i showed also offed "intermittence" operation extending the battery life to 40 hours as well as having duel output and flow control 

the little green one is not quite the product for nearly the same money 

On 7/30/2022 at 11:11 AM, _Eric_ said:

Neat to have integrated battery.  I haven’t used though.  If you get the ACO one (or similar off Amazon) you would need a separate battery pack to have it keep running if power goes down.  

The new Co-op one has a battery. 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2022 at 5:15 PM, jamieterrin said:

yeah i have looked at the one offered here and its cool but the ones i showed also offed "intermittence" operation extending the battery life to 40 hours as well as having duel output and flow control 

ACO one does the same thing 🙂

• Thanks 1

On 7/30/2022 at 12:22 PM, jamieterrin said:

i really need the battery backpack,

I have four different battery backup pumps and they work just fine. I would say get those that have the biggest battery that will make a difference. All of mine are mounted on the wall and no matter where they are placed, they all hum. I do have a ACO pump it only has one outlet and its ok, does not seem to put out a lot of air but it works. My power strips are also mounted on the wall. Good luck.

• Thanks 1

Nearly anything made in China will get knocked off unless extreme care is taken by the original designer/buyer. Once a Chinese manufacturer has the plans, makes the molds and tooling, they just keep making the items after the contract is fulfilled and slap a new label on them, and sell them through a retail partner. There's little reason for them not to as the Chinese government largely turns a blind eye to the practice. The original designer/buyer will have invested heavily and then find themselves competing against an identical (or nearly so) product that's selling for less than they can sell the product for. For the manufacturer and their retail partner it's a great deal. The original designer/buyer paid for the design, molds, tooling, and whatnot, then paid for the initial production which includes training the workers. All the manufacturer has to do is keep making the items after the contracted number has been made and distribute them through a retail partner who can sell them for less as they're not paying for the design, molds, tooling, training, etc.. 

In the aquarium hobby you see it with the old Marineland Canister filters. The Sun Suns and others are identical to those older Marineland ones. The manufacturer just kept making them and slapping new labels on them after the contract with Marineland was filled. The USB air pumps are another item you're seeing sell under a variety of names but with nearly identical designs. It's how the game gets played these days. In some cases, the knockoffs may even be better if the company manufacturing them has refined the design/manufacturing process.

Thanks all for the responses,

Sorry I didn't see the large ACO one had the extra features. As many have mentioned we live in the age of stuff so products will very quickly get replicated, changed and improved. I'll put my thoughts on that below but in regards to my thoughts on product comparison the ACO one looks great and sturdy and I'm sure it's quality. So it is my baseline and any other products will have to be better or cheaper. The others have the same features at what for me is a large price difference, plus claims to have extra features flow control/duel outputs/way longer battery life. I'm fairly sure there of lesser quality, but I know how to repair my devices. 
If I was in the USA and could just return the product cool! But returning it from anywhere internationally is not worth it, so I have to be able to repair it on-site and the Chinese often are easier to access the insides and will probably use common parts which is a big thing when repairing.

My thoughts on china's production system, well, the first thing you should know is I'm not a 1st world person and I have lived in China for some time, which gives me a different perspective than most of you. So here goes. please no trolls or flamers. 

To the best of my memory, this is what a china man told me about all the USA companies coming to his country to make the cheapest product.

"We are tired of making all the products for the cheapest and having our people and environment suffer the consequences, you might have had the first idea. But we made the manufacturing process, sourced cheap sub-components and often developed the plastic, and the entire assembly process! sure it's a great idea but why do they deserve all the profit while we are in poverty and our environment is abysmal! We (the average Chinese people) are smart and can innovate just as well as anywhere else and in fact, most of their already products rely on us! Let us take what we put into your product and make it better and make the profit stay in china, our home"

I think he was also drunk when saying this so it stuck in my head, and while I can agree with a price must fit an economy (ie the ACO one is well priced) it's difficult for me not living in your first-world to justify the extra expense you guys have to pay for your lifestyle when my world is in my way much closer to the free market of china.

Wow, that got way longer than I wanted, I do hope this comes across as at least a clear perspective.

On 7/31/2022 at 8:23 AM, Brandon p said:

I guess I’m just and old timer

yeah, lead acid batteries are too much problems, but wow thats cheap!

On 7/31/2022 at 6:42 AM, BuzzDaddy21 said:

I have four different battery backup pumps and they work just fine. I would say get those that have the biggest battery that will make a difference. All of mine are mounted on the wall and no matter where they are placed, they all hum. I do have a ACO pump it only has one outlet and its ok, does not seem to put out a lot of air but it works. My power strips are also mounted on the wall. Good luck.

really that noisy? mind posting a photo? 

why do you have 5v battery pumps for your setup, surely a 12v one would be stronger and longer lasting? 

On 7/31/2022 at 11:58 AM, jamieterrin said:

really that noisy? mind posting a photo?

Only a problem if the hum bothers you. All air pumps that I`ve tried make some type of noise🙃. While I could put a high output pump in the basement to run all tanks (I only have 6 tanks soon to be 7) it's a hassle IMO. Seems like most pumps of this type use 2 to 4 watts. I could post a picture, but you will laugh.

On 7/31/2022 at 11:58 AM, jamieterrin said:

why do you have 5v battery pumps for your setup

I don`t have 5v pumps, I think the power cable is rated for 5v. All of these pumps use lithium batteries. A 12v lithium battery is very expensive. (I have 5 in my boat 60Ah and 100Ah)

As a side note the only reason I went with these types of pumps was the ease of mounting on a wall. I wanted to get stuff off the floor including power. With pumps and power mounted on the wall it's easy to access for me. Looks strange but I don`t care.

• Like 1

Sorry I could not get a picture. I the one I have I’m thinking about replacing it because of the noise. It’s not super loud and there for emergencies only. I use the regular usb ones and can’t see this being a lot different. Other than the charging and if it’s running there is probably a reason so I don’t think you will forget. I love my hygger lights from china. 

• Like 1