Can you breed and raise bristlenose in a 20 gallon?

31LJ95

Can you breed and raise the fry in a 20 gallon? I have bred them before but they all died after someone looked after them for me. I now use the tank I bred them in for my puffers. Do you think it is possible to raise the baby’s in the same tank? Thanks 

• Like 3

On 7/29/2022 at 10:44 PM, 31LJ95 said:

How many would you advise I do have a test kit so I can test to see but a estimate because I’m stuck between these or setting up 3 smaller tanks which shrimp bettas and that

That depends on several factors like: how many plecos are in the tank, what size are they, what and how much you are feeding them, etc.  I upgraded to a 38 gal, and feed tetra shrimp wafers and Repashy a couple times daily.  In the 20 long I needed water changes 2-3 times a week when they were at the peak.  I had 2 females and a male in the tank, so they were breeding regularly.  I wound up pulling the male cause I was overrun with the critters.  

That’s one of the issues I was thinking becuase I don’t have the room for more tanks so I don’t want to breed a load and then not be able to look after them properly I might upgrade to a 29 gallon since I have the space for that but that’s the maximum I’d say but I’m sure I could always pull the male if I got overrun. So I should be fine but thanks again for the replys appreciate it.

• Like 1

@Guppysnail  Look, more baby plecos!  I love the Cory playing babysitter 

@Robert Keeney  are those albino or blue eyed plecos?

On 7/30/2022 at 6:57 PM, 31LJ95 said:

That’s one of the issues I was thinking becuase I don’t have the room for more tanks so I don’t want to breed a load and then not be able to look after them properly I might upgrade to a 29 gallon since I have the space for that but that’s the maximum I’d say but I’m sure I could always pull the male if I got overrun. So I should be fine but thanks again for the replys appreciate it.

If you have another tank, you can always pull the male every so often.  That would help meter the number of baby’s. A 29 gal would help as well

• Love 1

I do have a betta it’s not a very agressive one I’ve had guppy fry and it’s not eaten any of them at all so maybe that would work?

Ye I was thinking breeding pair and fry in 29 gallon and some growing up in their then I could put the male in either a ten with baby’s and have another 10 for just some other fish so I don’t burn my self out just breeding pleocs

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...