Glow light Tetra - Movement

Damo.Lo

Hey all I’m one month into the hobby, I have recently added 6x Glow light tetras 5 Days ago to the tank and they don’t seem to be overly active typically just floating in one spot for long period of time and not really schooling together.

I can’t remember the numbers but Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate where nothing to be concerned about. 

33 Gallon

2x Fantial Goldfish

4x Zebra Danio

6x Glow Light Tetra 

1x Bristle nose 

Temperature is too low as Colu said somewhere in the 24-28 range is best. However in my experience glowlight tetra are not generally the most active swimmers when they feel safe, they do tend to stay in an area and school quite loosely. As long as they are feeding well and water perramiters are good I wouldn't be worried.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/26/2022 at 5:55 PM, Intuos said:

However in my experience glowlight tetra are not generally the most active swimmers when they feel safe, they do tend to stay in an area and school quite loosely.

I totally agree glowlights seem to be the least active tetra I’ve kept. But I only have 6 of them I’ve never kept them in bigger groups like I have/ do cardinals and rummynose.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 11:40 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I noticed you also have goldfish. Goldfish are a cold water fish whereas your other fish require a higher temperature.

I checked and what I could see is they are 18-24 so I’m trying low end for the glow lights and high end for the goldfish someone is going to have to compromise here 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/26/2022 at 6:40 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I noticed you also have goldfish. Goldfish are a cold water fish whereas your other fish require a higher temperature.

^^

I would like to see the tank setup if possible. I wonder if their behavior has anything to do with filtration / aeration at all.  Temp is often tied to the oxygenation and flow requirements for the fish as well.

If you're concerned with stocking and setup, temps, I would also recommend using AqAdvisor as a tool for a sanity check.  Generally speaking, Tetras and goldfish don't like the same temps.  Here's a video on the topic and how 1-2 degrees can lead to massive issues.

Welcome to the forums, it's great to have you here.  Please feel free to ask any questions and talk through questions you may have!

• Thanks 2

A very warm welcome to the forum!  Glad you're here!  Trying to figure out your stocking question.

Are any of these your filter?

11.PNG.a8b2f11bb45cccdba07ce24ed600c121.PNG

Also these notes came upon aqua advisor.

12.PNG.ce0f3b0d48ff468f994d6f6cab830004.PNG

(The bristlenose eats driftwood as part of his natural diet - you don't need a huge piece of driftwood. A little one (ie: the size of a fist) will do just fine. It might float at first, but you can put a rock or something on top of it until it sinks. You should boil driftwood first to remove contaminants.)

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Thanks 1

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea hey thanks for the welcome. The aquis would be the closest relevant filter for flow rate but that’s a canister as mines a trickle filter.

the heating parameters are helpful thanks I have adjusted it and all fish are responding well.

In regards to the wood is a specific type or just wood l? I have two pieces of wood already in the tank 

• Like 1

@Chick-In-Of-TheSeamost wood is fine it’s the cellulose that is really important. I have found that Malaysian Drift Wood is the favorite for most plecos. It’s a big wood and I think it might be easier to process. They wood keeps a healthy gut. This is there I get. It’s not this brand but looks almost the same which not all Malaysian drift wood does, sinks well too.

Hamiledyi Natural Driftwood for Aquarium Decor Sinkable Reptile Wood Branches Fish Tank Log Habitat Decorations Terrarium Ornament Assorted https://a.co/d/3CoPZOw

• Thanks 1

On 7/27/2022 at 3:23 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

The little LFS near me sells driftwood chunks for $2.50 each.  They have milk crates full of the chunks that they allowed me to rummage through. It was great for my little 10 gallon tank.

That’s great to have a supply of good drift wood I’m surprised so my places don’t have good drift woood 

On 7/27/2022 at 11:44 AM, Damo.Lo said:

In regards to the wood is a specific type or just wood l? I have two pieces of wood already in the tank 

No it wouldn't matter what kind.  They graze on the surface, hide in it, etc. If you have pleco caves as well that usually makes them pretty happy to be there.

Clowns and plecos like that will eat wood.  Others will focus on other foods, but I think generally they all graze a little when we aren't looking!

• Thanks 2

On 7/27/2022 at 2:44 PM, Damo.Lo said:

On 7/27/2022 at 3:07 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

@Guppysnail keeps bristlenose plecos.  I'm not sure if the type of wood makes a difference or if they will eat any wood.  Maybe she can help with this question?

In my experience it does not matter. With pleco I have used grapevine wood, manzanita, mopani and spiderwood.  I see no health difference in any. I do however see preference.  It relates directly to the amount of biofilm the new wood grows in my tanks. 
grapevine, mopani and spiderwood are the most interesting to and grazed on the most by my pleco kids and their hordes of kids it grows gobs of yummies when new. I rotate out pieces so there is always gobs of biofilm for the babies in grow out tanks. 

manzanita they are generally uninterested in and I only occasionally see any of them rasp on it.  But tanks that it’s the only wood available I see no health difference.  Mine are longfin lemon blue eye bristlenose.  Different types may have different preferences.  

mopani sinks instantly so is an easy choice but does release gobs of tannins. Repeatedly boiling lessens but does not eliminate them. Tannins are healthy for tanks. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Thanks 2

Me: "Check out these blackwater tanks. Aren't they cool?"

Friend: "Uhhh.. no?  The water's all brown.  It looks dirty!"

Me (showing photo): "Yeah but look at the aquascaping on these!"

Friend (hesitantly): "I guess it's ok.  But I wouldn't do it."

Next week - text from friend - 

Friend: "Guess what!  I bought Indian almond leaves!  Look how big they are (shows photo - leaf size of hand)!  I'm going to put them in my tank!  I read that the axolotl likes these!  Let me know if you want some; I have extra!"

The next day.... text from friend:

Friend: "I guess I will be having one of those blackwater tanks after all."  😂

(This is also the friend that's about to add driftwood for her bristlenose, in the other tank.  Dare I tell her?)

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Haha 3

On 7/28/2022 at 10:01 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Me: "Check out these blackwater tanks. Aren't they cool?"

Friend: "Uhhh.. no?  The water's all brown.  It looks dirty!"

Me (showing photo): "Yeah but look at the aquascaping on these!"

Friend (hesitantly): "I guess it's ok.  But I wouldn't do it."

Next week - text from friend - 

Friend: "Guess what!  I bought Indian almond leaves!  Look how big they are (shows photo - leaf size of hand)!  I'm going to put them in my tank!  I read that the axolotl likes these!  Let me know if you want some; I have extra!"

The next day.... text from friend:

Friend: "I guess I will be having one of those blackwater tanks after all."  😂

(This is also the friend that's about to add driftwood for her bristlenose, in the other tank.  Dare I tell her?)

Oh my no! Don’t tell but encourage mopani. When they see the dark illumination and how active the fish become and fall in love with it…you get to secretly gloat over you friends new love of tannins 😍🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

@Guppysnail thank you for the informative reply, my bristle nose is still very small and I don’t think it quite knows what it wants 😂 

I’m still trying to get it to eat hikari sinking wafers with out the goldfish getting there first… I’ve got a cave/log for it but I think it’s a bit big and the goldfish can get in there as well 🤦🏻

does the cave need to be at the back as mines at the front and the bristle nose doesn’t really want a bar of it, prefers the rocks