Water refill dispersion tool - Anyone have one?

nabokovfan87

On 7/22/2022 at 12:02 AM, Vince C said:

For the tanks that I had been filling with buckets, I ended up buying a small pump from amazon and tubing. It allowed me to directionally point the tube away from the substrate

I bought this and I truly love it, and the material is fish safe. Comes with a rubber oring as well. Tank refiller 9000

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 2

On 7/22/2022 at 6:56 AM, MickS77 said:

This still works great for me 👍

LOL....  I definitely don't have any of those left, but might have to find something similar.  Nice mod!

On 7/22/2022 at 7:06 AM, JettsPapa said:

0606201040.jpg

I have one of these to try as well.  Do you hang it on the rim or float it on the top of the water/substrate?

On 7/22/2022 at 12:29 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

LOL....  I definitely don't have any of those left, but might have to find something similar.  Nice mod!

I have one of these to try as well.  Do you hang it on the rim or float it on the top of the water/substrate?

I hang it on the rim.

• Like 1

Alright, Here's the first attempt.  So far, not great.

I wanted to get something that had a pretty thin handle, but also something that wasn't too thick in the handle so I was sure it could sit pretty flat against the rim.

As you can see it drapes down.  This led to a few things:

1.  The water missed the holes and went right off the side of the strainer and then into the top of the lid.  If I didn't have the lid, it would've gone on the wall.  This forces you to pour things a bit slower and takes a little longer for you to suspend the weight above the tank.
2.  The strainer moves because it's pretty light
3.  I can't rest the edge of the bucket on the rim, easy to have spills up front when trying to aim.

I think I can just drill a hole on the handle and hang a weight of some kind and things should be "fine".  I'll check around with some of the other options I had selected and see what makes the most sense.  I kind of just want to glue on a piece of metal or something in the handle to give it some heft to sit properly.

20220723_160955.JPG.95343a2c59d30280f707e7b04deeb0ec.JPG

20220723_160957.JPG.abf83fc9d7e4ebfa3c1a3d1341335bf5.JPG

@Torrey, when I top-off water, I pour from a small pitcher onto wood, to disperse the flow.

For new aquariums with layered substrates, I have poked holes in empty gravel bags, and poured water onto the bags.

If I were feeling experimental, I might put foam media in a breeder box, and pour into that.

• Like 1

I know I’m late to the discussion, but here me out. 

If you take the lid to a 5 gallon bucket (the standard snap-one) and cut it in half, then drill a bunch of holes in it, you will essentially have a snap-on diffuser that fits on any bucket, and can be made to any needed size. Make sure there aren’t too many holes though, or water will spray from the sides.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2022 at 9:51 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

@nabokovfan87 I made this! It was easy and it works great!

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea, the video is a good idea, but I just saw he used a soldering iron for the holes. PLEASE, NOBODY DO THAT!!!!!! Soldering irons generally operate between 350 and 400 degrees celsius (662-772 degrees fahrenheit), and that is way above the melting point of plastics. So much so that it will instantly vaporize the plastic into toxic fumes that are dangerous. I recommend drilling the holes out, or if you want to melt them, use the soldering iron on the lowest setting. usually around 250C (482F). 

On 7/23/2022 at 9:31 PM, Guppy Guy said:

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea, the video is a good idea, but I just saw he used a soldering iron for the holes. PLEASE, NOBODY DO THAT!!!!!! Soldering irons generally operate between 350 and 400 degrees celsius (662-772 degrees fahrenheit), and that is way above the melting point of plastics. So much so that it will instantly vaporize the plastic into toxic fumes that are dangerous. I recommend drilling the holes out, or if you want to melt them, use the soldering iron on the lowest setting. usually around 250C (482F). 

He says to go outside if using the soldering iron.  I just poked holes with a screwdriver when I did it.

On 7/23/2022 at 6:44 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Alright, Here's the first attempt.  So far, not great.
. . . 
3.  I can't rest the edge of the bucket on the rim, easy to have spills up front when trying to aim.

I didn't mention it earlier, but when I use my measuring cup with the holes drilled in it, I hang it in the corner of the tank.  For example, I hang it on the side of the tank, all the way to the front.  That allows me to rest the bucket on the front while I'm pouring.  By the way, I use a 2-1/2 gallon bucket instead of a 5 gallon bucket.  It takes more trips, but I'm not going very far, so I don't mind, and I only have to lift half the weight, which is especially important when filling the taller tanks (the top of the 65 is at shoulder height).

Also, the 2-1/2 gallon bucket has a spout, so I spill less when pouring the water in the tank, and it has a recess on the bottom of the bucket opposite of the spout for a hand hold, so it's more secure when pouring.

On 7/25/2022 at 9:22 AM, JettsPapa said:

I didn't mention it earlier, but when I use my measuring cup with the holes drilled in it, I hang it in the corner of the tank.  For example, I hang it on the side of the tank, all the way to the front.  That allows me to rest the bucket on the front while I'm pouring.  By the way, I use a 2-1/2 gallon bucket instead of a 5 gallon bucket.  It takes more trips, but I'm not going very far, so I don't mind, and I only have to lift half the weight, which is especially important when filling the taller tanks (the top of the 65 is at shoulder height).

Also, the 2-1/2 gallon bucket has a spout, so I spill less when pouring the water in the tank, and it has a recess on the bottom of the bucket opposite of the spout for a hand hold, so it's more secure when pouring.

Same. I'm done with 5 gallon buckets.  2-gallon buckets are available at Dollar Tree for $1.25/ea and they have a spout and never "mis-pour".

EDIT!! Dollar Tree buckets break! I bought 2, and they both broke in just a few months! If you need a smaller bucket go to Ace Hardware! They have a variety of sizes.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 10:06 AM, JettsPapa said:

Here's what I use.

0606201040.jpg

I still use this from a thread you posted it on last year. I have a J hook on my hose from the pump with suction cups. Clips right to it holding it and the hose secure. My fish love to “play in the rain” 🤗

• Like 1

On 7/25/2022 at 6:22 AM, JettsPapa said:

By the way, I use a 2-1/2 gallon bucket instead of a 5 gallon bucket. 

DEFINITELY helps.  😂

I don't have issues holding the 5G bucket, it's more annoying that anything.  I am going to try the giant strainer next time.  In terms of design, it's awesome and works really well.  The issue is just the mechanics of using it.  If I still feel like an idiot trying to get it to work well for me, I'll just dremel out the specimen container and see how that goes for me.  The smaller bucket would be 8-10 trips for me trying to do a WC instead of 2-3, that's all.

Some buckets have the actual spout on them.  FFT uses an actual gooseneck gardening watering thing (sorry, not enough coffee and all I can think of is the word "pitcher" but I know it has an actual name).  They have them with a spout as well as a rain style spout on the end and both would work really well.

On 7/25/2022 at 7:54 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

DEFINITELY helps.  😂

I don't have issues holding the 5G bucket, it's more annoying that anything.  I am going to try the giant strainer next time.  In terms of design, it's awesome and works really well.  The issue is just the mechanics of using it.  If I still feel like an idiot trying to get it to work well for me, I'll just dremel out the specimen container and see how that goes for me.  The smaller bucket would be 8-10 trips for me trying to do a WC instead of 2-3, that's all.

I fill my buckets in the kitchen sink, and my fish room/office/library is right next to the kitchen, so I don't mind the extra trips.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2022 at 8:53 AM, JettsPapa said:

I fill my buckets in the kitchen sink, and my fish room/office/library is right next to the kitchen, so I don't mind the extra trips.

Same here.  The little sitting area off the kitchen is where the tanks are, because everywhere else is carpeted.  

On 7/25/2022 at 8:54 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

The smaller bucket would be 8-10 trips for me trying to do a WC instead of 2-3, that's all.

Ever considered a Python? Or pond pump + hose?

• Like 1

On 7/26/2022 at 5:58 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Ever considered a Python? Or pond pump + hose?

I can't even get my big tank setup 😞.....  The people where I am can't even tolerate the buckets let alone the python.

At the old house I has a utility sink I used, here, no dice.  The house is under constant construction and all of the bathrooms are being worked on / fixed.  (an ongoing project for quite a while already)

Unfortunately most sinks these days don't really allow you to hookup a python due to space for it to fit or the faucet.  Easiest way to run it would be to set it up with the shower itself or running 100' of hose to the hose out front.  Then I get jumped on because the door is open and a fly might get in. 😂

I have one tank literally next to the door.  I fill it up with the hose / python hook now. 

What I do is put a bucket into the sink, let faucet fill bucket, drop pond pump in bucket, send out the water to the tank. MUST dose the dechlor into the tank first 🙂

This video helps figure out the type of pond pump.  Faucet flow rate is a factor to consider.  I used one size up from what I thought, just to make sure, because of the length of hose and the height of tank.

• Like 1
  • Love 1