Water refill dispersion tool - Anyone have one?

nabokovfan87

Ok so.... I NEED to find something like this.

image.png.e511e533129ccba46fd68e9931a4d1a3.png

I think the easiest thing to do is to make one with a 3d printer, but I simply don't have one.  I've also seen handmade ones that attach to a python.  None of this helps us bucket folk. 😞

1.  Needs to disperse water when refilling (gently) so that the plants don't get easily uprooted and so the fish don't get bombarded into walls or hardscape
2.  Needs to fit a lid opening, about the width of a specimen container, and not cause an issue for someone using a glass lid on their tank.  (dimension on mine is 4.75")
3.  PREFERABLY, it would be great if it attached to a corner of a tank or to the single side rim of a tank.  I'm not talking rimless here.

I can probably find something and glue it! Anyone have any ideas on this that might work well? 

Edited by nabokovfan87

I saw one the other day that had been cut out of a juice bottle. I can't remember if it was here or somewhere else though. They basically cut off the top except for one side a few inches above the bottom of the bottle, put a bunch of holes in the bottom, and bent the remaining side so it would hang over the edge of the tank. I'm planning to make one myself next time we have an empty juice.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2022 at 3:26 PM, eatyourpeas said:

Looks perfect, just slightly too big.  I might have to take a 2-cup measuring cup and then drill some holes in it with the dremel, but I think that's not enough volume when pouring it in.  Might be able to find a 4-cup plastic one or something.    I'm so tired of re-gluing plants over and over.  In my bigger tank I would use the python, fill the end with water so the water from the spout impacted the siphon full of water (works really well), but now that I'm back to buckets this doesn't work.

EDIT: I found this set, has a smaller one inside.  Probably going to start here.

https://www.amazon.com/Joseph-40094-Colanders-Stackable-Easy-Pour/dp/B071XDLB4H/ref=pd_rhf_se_s_pd_sbs_rvi_sccl_2_3/137-7996767-6582131?pd_rd_w=DtM5F&content-id=amzn1.sym.afb460dc-fa69-4440-8ffa-68f8a04f70ba&pf_rd_p=afb460dc-fa69-4440-8ffa-68f8a04f70ba&pf_rd_r=G0QRRSJ49SH76RBWW5QR&pd_rd_wg=MMOrP&pd_rd_r=64eb67ef-539d-45b4-8b93-cbd51c00083c&pd_rd_i=B071XDLB4H&psc=1

On 7/21/2022 at 3:48 PM, Katherine said:

They basically cut off the top except for one side a few inches above the bottom of the bottle, put a bunch of holes in the bottom, and bent the remaining side so it would hang over the edge of the tank.

I was thinking I might be able to use a 1/2 gallon plastic container too.  Interesting idea.

Edited by nabokovfan87

On 7/21/2022 at 3:35 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Ok so.... I NEED to find something like this.

image.png.e511e533129ccba46fd68e9931a4d1a3.png

I think the easiest thing to do is to make one with a 3d printer, but I simply don't have one.  I've also seen handmade ones that attach to a python.  None of this helps us bucket folk. 😞

1.  Needs to disperse water when refilling (gently) so that the plants don't get easily uprooted and so the fish don't get bombarded into walls or hardscape
2.  Needs to fit a lid opening, about the width of a specimen container, and not cause an issue for someone using a glass lid on their tank.  (dimension on mine is 4.75")
3.  PREFERABLY, it would be great if it attached to a corner of a tank or to the single side rim of a tank.  I'm not talking rimless here.

I can probably find something and glue it! Anyone have any ideas on this that might work well? 

I used to use expandable colanders, and put a paper towel in the bottom to slow the drain out of bottom holes.

In the interest of reduce/reuse/recycle, I now have been using water bottles (from 1 gallon down to 16 oz, depending on size of tank) that I used a soldering gun to add holes .25" apart along the sides. I don't include any holes in the bottom 1.5" of the bottles, to protect my scapes/substrate from being washed around. So far, even minimizes soil disturbance. I don't know if  @Streetwise has a better method.

I like being able to place the bottle in the tank, directly on the substrate, so I have both hands to control the bucket. In my nano tanks, I use a gallon jug to pour water into a 16 oz water bottle that I cut the bottom out of, and left the lid on. Same thing: soldering iron tip made holes starting ~2" from the cap, so water is directed out to the sides instead of straight down.

Repurposing water bottles before they go to recycling has been more effective than the store bought colanders, however my 4' T4' tank is my biggest tank. Most of mine are smaller nano tanks.

I use the big "ream" paper clips to hold the bottle in place if I am not resting it on the bottom. Simply cut a "flap" from the bottle (on gallon jugs, you can cut the "base" of the handle and use the "handle" as the clip...just seal the handle so you don't end up with water on the floor😏)

Personally, I was really happy to find the free option worked better than the purchased😅

20220721_190607.jpg.bab62845501983ff2039f507e45e172d.jpg

Paperclip holding bottle in place on tank. Big ream paperclips will also clip onto the rim of plastic rimmed glass tanks.

• Like 2

Looks a lot like that pasta spoon.  you could even hang a large ladle on the side of the tank and pour into that.  Kenji Lopez-Alt has some INSANELY big ladles. 😂

It's all down to the handle.  I have a few options, very cheap.  I have one on the way, I'll try out, report back. 

On 7/21/2022 at 10:04 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Thank you for the demo, much appreciated!  Don't ya just hate that the glass is so light that when you open the lid it slides all over the place.  Something that's been bugging me on my tank, lol.

I took out a snail on that demo. LOL. See him fall? Sorry bud!

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Haha 1

OK. I have an idea. Doesn't require new "major" tooling by any company and should be easy to make.

1.  Specimen container.

2.  image.png.f22673b85ec40883d16aed930d90e4b5.png

Trim the faces off, leave the hook on the rim. 

3.  Drill in the slots and then you're good to go. 

You make a jig / tool for the box to sit on, CNC just machines them one by one, very easily.  If you sell enough, you launch a tool to mold the boxes with the holes and cuts already in place.

Depending how the tool is currently manufactured, you can make a plug to fit in the internal space of the box as-is which would fill the regions you don't want plastic to be and allow you to add pins / slots for the water to flow into the tank.  You would see a seam line if you went this route, which wouldn't make it viable when you try to run the specimen containers as-is.

Edited by nabokovfan87

On 7/21/2022 at 10:09 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

OK. I have an idea. Doesn't require new "major" tooling by any company and should be easy to make.

1.  Specimen container.

2.  image.png.f22673b85ec40883d16aed930d90e4b5.png

Trim the faces off, leave the hook on the rim. 

3.  Drill in the slots and then you're good to go. 

You make a jig / tool for the box to sit on, CNC just machines them one by one, very easily.  If you sell enough, you launch a tool to mold the boxes with the holes and cuts already in place.

Depending how the tool is currently manufactured, you can make a plug to fit in the internal space of the box as-is which would fill the regions you don't want plastic to be and allow you to add pins / slots for the water to flow into the tank.  You would see a seam line if you went this route, which wouldn't make it viable when you try to run the specimen containers as-is.

You’ve just got to be careful with the rigid plastic, as it cracks easily when drilled.

If you have the breeder box with the mesh on the bottom, I wonder how that would work as a water change helper?

On 7/21/2022 at 7:17 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

If you have the breeder box with the mesh on the bottom, I wonder how that would work as a water change helper?

Yeah, and I was thinking about the paint strainer thing Dean had used as a fry tub and then finding a way to add a handle to it.  I also found some that suction cup to the side of the sink but might not hold up to the water pressure of a bucket of water.

I've got "an extra" specimen container, might have to spend a day chopping it up.

On 7/21/2022 at 5:35 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

You mention specimen container - what if you took one - and on either side (left and right if its hanging on your tank) - and cut a rectangle with a dremel tool or something similar. Think similar to the hole that Dean cuts on his fry trays for sponges.

This way you could hang the container on your tank - and the water would go out either side instead of straight down hopefully not disturbing the substrate - could even add course sponges in the holes to make it even more dispersed - but don't wanna slow the flow down too much so that you have to hold the buckets too long.

Just a thought - would be interested to see if it would work.

Hey gang!  Sorry TLDR!

I'll tell you now to go to Amazon and search "orchid flower pot" and you will see something like this:

41Lo5IbNEkL._AC_SX466_.jpg.d6fb5f3b16b3d7e0ec51b7b7865e18e6.jpg

My RCS tank uses a sand substrate and also has susswassertang in it, so any significant current will eject material all over the water column.  My wife is an avid gardener and I had noticed these special flower pots she uses for her orchids.  I was like, "Huh."  I basically take a small one, place it in a slightly larger one and basically just pour water into them.  The dual barrier pretty much takes out any violent forces water entry would create.  Unless you are filling a brand new tank from the bottom, pretty much nothing is disturbed.  Even if you are filling a new tank, there is really minimal displacement.  Thank you, wife!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 7/21/2022 at 8:00 PM, Vince C said:

You mention specimen container - what if you took one - and on either side (left and right if its hanging on your tank) - and cut a rectangle with a dremel tool or something similar. Think similar to the hole that Dean cuts on his fry trays for sponges.

This way you could hang the container on your tank - and the water would go out either side instead of straight down hopefully not disturbing the substrate - could even add course sponges in the holes to make it even more dispersed - but don't wanna slow the flow down too much so that you have to hold the buckets too long.

Exactly what I was thinking

• Like 2

On 7/21/2022 at 11:31 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Exactly what I was thinking

If you end up making one - definitely keep us updated.

For the tanks that I had been filling with buckets, I ended up buying a small pump from amazon and tubing. It allowed me to directionally point the tube away from the substrate making less churn, and also saved me from having to lift/pour all the buckets. Just another option that only runs ya $30 or so.

On 7/21/2022 at 9:15 PM, OlsonAquatics said:

Why not just look for strainers? Seems like the easiest option. The one you have in your post just looks like a pasta strainer.

It would be.  It's used on a tank without a lid, I don't really want to move lights and lids every time I add some water.

The "pasta basket" strainers seem to fit that dimension, but just have to dig into it.  I did buy a small strainer, I'll take photos and what not and test it out.