Using tank water on roses

Does anyone use tank water on their roses?  I just started this year, and my roses have a terrible fungus/black spot problem. Could this be due to the tank water from water changes?  I live in Oregon and we have also had an unusually cold and wet spring, so I don’t know which to blame. Has anyone else had this problem?

I love roses and have great success through trial and error. Prune off the diseased growth. Dip your pruners in bleach water between cuts and discard the cuttings into the trash immediately.

Dave Austin roses has a good guide for watering your roses. This is a well rounded basic guide. See below article, but scroll down to the watering part.

https://www.davidaustinroses.com/blogs/news/the-basics-of-growing-roses

His guides for pruning and dead-heading are quite helpful as well.

Edited by Minanora
  • Like 2

There are many tips and tricks for taking care of black spot fungus on roses. It grows in the soil and splashes up during rin. It thrives in cooler wet conditions so your excess rain is allowing it to thrive.  Most solutions are easy diy with common home products, proper pruning and late fall cleanup. Just google black spot fungus rose treatments. I get it some years also. 
edit add:  my roses love my tank water.  The black spot thrives in the soil and is not from tank water. 

Edited by Guppysnail

The fungus is very much likely due to the wet weather. Roses are very susceptible to fungus when it's an overly wet year. Even in Alberta where it's drier, we have to do a lot of spraying with gardener's sulfur this time of year to keep the fungus under control on our roses and other plants.

I've been using my waste aquarium water on my houseplants, much better than the chlorinated tap water! I can't see that being an issue. Allow the rose soil to dry out between watering.

• Like 1

I grow a lot of roses here in Central FL. Black spot is a fungus whose spores will lie dormant on decaying leaves and dead wood. It can spread to healthy leaves by splashing water. That’s why it’s import to make sure you dispose of clippings and prunings  and take care to water at ground level and not splash leaves when watering.  Watering in the morning is a good idea just in case water does get on the leaves, it has time to dry during the day.  If you notice black spot beginning on a leaf, remove it as soon as possible and dispose of it elsewhere to help keep it from spreading to the rest of the plant